Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

i don't mind the rp style dialogue but the past tense feels weird

why wouldn't it be like "I don't trust this man, I draw my weapon" or "Ask where he appeared from"

the way it is makes it sound like you're recounting a story after the fact

Desolate Dancer

Educated
I can see the writing is going to be god awful. How can they hire so many people and spend this much money and have it be so bad? Its like they have a certain shit filter they just apply over their writing. Its sort of incredible.
You cannot buy soul... people tend to forget the circumstances and the zeitgeist in which the original BG was created. You cannot reproduce something like that artificially.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
LHMbKC8.jpg

kIIT7uD.jpg

YoBE7OJ.jpg

Hopefully these are placeholders, not even going to touch the game if this retardness is still what we are getting for dialogue choices. Fckn Wankers!

The first screenshot even looks like it's from DOS what a pos. I was hoping the game would look like Pillars of Eternity, whatever fault that game had it looked good.

Fckn Lazy Ass Larian reusing fckn assets. After that bullshit video about how only LArian was good enough for Baldur's Gate 3 what they give us is a fckn asset-code/flip game. Wankers!

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So even if you don't completely hate the look there are other things to hate.
But even more things to love. It's basically the perfect recipe: D:OS without all the retarded systems from Larian but with DnD ruleset
5th is kinda streamlined, and what do we know about larian adapting it and in what way?
Yeah this is what I'm waiting to see. But anyway D:OS 2 was not far from awesome, it basically fucked itself up with all the retardo decisions like armor, initiative and loot system. I'm just HOPING that with the given ruleset these issues will not carry over.
I already see that there is no "magical armor" bullshit and that HP are not 92334234 but logical small numbers

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, at least Owlcats could sleep peacefully now. No competition on IE cloning field for them now - after Obsidian and Larian both went out of the subgenre.
I actually think that realms beyond might be pretty good. But I don't know if it will have an legs. I hope so.
I would not qualify Realms Beyond as IE clone but still hope for decent-to-good game with TB combat based on best version of D&D.
...Unlike BG3.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Well, at least Owlcats could sleep peacefully now. No competitoin on IE cloning field for them now - after Obsidian and Larian both went out of the subgenre.

Love how codex larps that people outside of it even know owlcat exists, let alone competing with larian

Shadenuat

Arcane
So even if you don't completely hate the look there are other things to hate.
But even more things to love. It's basically the perfect recipe: D:OS without all the retarded systems from Larian but with DnD ruleset
5th is kinda streamlined, and what do we know about larian adapting it and in what way?
Yeah this is what I'm waiting to see. But anyway D:OS 2 was not far from awesome, it basically fucked itself up with all the retardo decisions like armor, initiative and loot syste
and dialogue and companions and story and choices and world sliced into mmo pie and

I can see the writing is going to be god awful. How can they hire so many people and spend this much money and have it be so bad? Its like they have a certain shit filter they just apply over their writing. Its sort of incredible.
You cannot buy soul... people tend to forget the circumstances and the zeitgeist in which the original BG was created. You cannot reproduce something like that artificially.
but there are many decent writers, what happens if they write decent stuff at larian? Does swen come in and say "NO! that is way too complicated and highbrow! put more asterisks'! and change the tense! and make only one line of thought! Throw in some food and body humor!" How does this happen to so many people? These people are educated?

Tytus

Arcane
This is what we are getting for dialogue choices, the same as D:OS2. The graphics look like DA:I btw.

Yeah DA:I fused with Original Sin 2. I think I puked a little.
But dialogue options suggest we will have a silent protagonist. And if I'm correct - it's a feature I like. You can actually save a lot of money this way, and put it into something more important.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, at least Owlcats could sleep peacefully now. No competitoin on IE cloning field for them now - after Obsidian and Larian both went out of the subgenre.

Love how codex larps that people outside of it even know owlcat exists, let alone competing with larian
Love how you think that any competition is about money, fame and copies sold. Especially on Codex.

EDIT: I do not know what citation is expected of me, but I always thought it is all about reaching for unachievable dream of the true incline.

I regret ever shit talking Sawyer. Villains always become worse and the steaks always become higher.
Joshua is still an omega-level autist, and self-absorbed, and tasteless no doubt about that, but yes... his crap at least managed to follow some clues, and keep the apparent form and frame of its supposed spiritual master, at least superficially.

This new guy though... nope, they're not even trying. They literally just bank on the IP, and refurbish their own engine/game with 5e ruleset. That's about it.
I agree with this. I don't like joshs home brew system he did with PoE, but I think if he was forced to make an AD&D game he would do a much better job. I actually think he is very talented at making an artistic good looking game. All his games have looked professional and artistic and even beautiful. I just wish he had not gone off and designed his own gaming system for PoE. But Icewind Dale and IWD II and both pillars games were extremely good looking and well put together games, even more so than BG. I think he would design a much better game than Larian honestly given the same challenge and the same constraints, if he were willing to do it and work within the AD&D rules system.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am also very happy to not see a bullshit armor bar

But that's what BA stands for in those screenshots

Bullshit
Armour

people tend to forget the circumstances and the zeitgeist in which the original BG was created.

Or people never knew about them in the first place so that's why it would be appreciated if you may be bothered to enlighten us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom