Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Maybe people just don't like the white ice&snow visuals of the first Icewind Dale areas,
these people are wrong
I don't have any screenshots, but just from memory, the first area is a white base, with brown roads, and brown roofs. Basically 2 colors only. And there was a cave near, which is just brown and black inside. I don't have any visual memories from Icewind Dale, because it wasn't very interesting visually.
But maybe thats just me.
It is just you. And maybe one other guy who is also wrong.

soulburner

Cipher
It might be possible that we are gonna explore in third person, but switch to "isometric" when combat or puzzles happen
I hope not. I hope the game is fully "isometric", switches to the fancy dialog camera only for important NPCs and most cinematics are done in-engine.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
They could have at least tried to make the UI look like the old games, including 2D portraits. It's REALLY not hard to find good 2d artists today.

Other people mentioned this before, but this really just looks like a DOS2 expansion pack.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
It has 2 gamemodes - this one is just for show.

The game is mostly balanced for first person pause with real time gameplay, where you only control your companions, the PC is controlled by the AI.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Throne of Bhaal renders AC-based defense insanely difficult to itemize for due to shields being relatively unattractive items and other forms of defense (spells and %-based physical damage reduction) being easier to work into your build than stacking AC, which naturally has a cap that you can only extend further with AC bonuses against specific weapon types. It's difficult to itemize for avoidance against the drow kensai in Sendai's coven and elite fire giants, and it's unrealistic to rely on AC against Abazigal, either. Popular difficulty mods likely skew this further.

Forgive me. I'm talking about THAC0 one sec and aesthetics the next, so I forgot to add the exception of ToB. Yes, AC does not keep pace with ToB THAC0 Lords, but my point was a general one. You can also see on my blog that I made a concession to ToB in my AC Lords: The Supertankers write-up (even the DR bit). Cheers!

Saravan

Savant
Obviously posting with apparent hindsight etc. etc. but: why were people so sceptical that it would be an actual cRPG given Larian is publishing it as well, and hot on the success of Original Sin 1 + 2?

Obviously because a lot of posters are obsessive whiners and faultfinders combined with either willful or actual retardation.

For instance crying for months about how this is surely going to be some kind of action RPG (with no information whatsoever to either support or to refute you), then when the game of course turns out to be turn-based after all, immediately switch gears to whine and complain about something else.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's what pathalogical nostalgia does to your brain. You compare every game to experiences you had when the genre as a whole was novel to you and then expect new games to invoke those same feelings, which is of course impossible, so the bitter boomer declares the game shit but claims it's due to other reasons than rose-tinted glasses disguised as "objective" markers of a great RPG.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think Swen is furious right now. Doubt these are the screenshots he wanted to leak - they don't look very good PR-wise. But maybe I am wrong and it was intentional.

So far, the worst thing about the game is that it looks too much like D:OS2 and there are Qunari. I know they are not Qunari, but come on, they look exactly like those ugly bastards from DA2 and DAI. Otherwise, I like it. Swen is a hero to make it turn-based.

I was seeing some leaked screenshots https://imgur.com/a/h6KujfN#caVuocp

And this took my attention.
rPPA08Q.jpg

Honestly; looks like "DOS3" But i really wish that is only visual wise. Not mechanic wise.
looks like she/he is given dude a golden shower +3

I was seeing some leaked screenshots https://imgur.com/a/h6KujfN#caVuocp

And this took my attention.
rPPA08Q.jpg

Honestly; looks like "DOS3" But i really wish that is only visual wise. Not mechanic wise.

Like i said,the UI is part of the art-style just like everything else,if they make the UI looking like DOS UI then the game will feel like a DOS mod no matter how much they call it "Baldur's Gate 3".

jackofshadows

Magister
o7hVX18.jpg
Their "solution" for these presumably silent protagonist dialogues is fucking atrocious. Personally, I'll never ever get into character reading all that shit. Even Dragon's Dogma bizarre approach looks good in the contex of this. And as was mentioned, what's up with past tense all over? Maybe they will at least change that after some feed back.

Also, all models are look ridiculously CLEAN. Like they're on the fucking royal ball, and not in the middle of nowhere. However, hoping for fixing it would be too naive, I guess (as well as replacing thouse awful character's icons with beatiful 2d portraits). Anyway, maybe actual announce will reveal where're placeholders and where're not.

They could have at least tried to make the UI look like the old games, including 2D portraits. It's REALLY not hard to find good 2d artists today.

Other people mentioned this before, but this really just looks like a DOS2 expansion pack.

I personally like that they have just decided to make this Divinity: Baldurs Gate 3 but I agree they should do a few things before final release to differentiate it more, change the UI a bit, better portraits and what not..

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Honestly, I'm pretty shocked that some of you actually expected this to not look like well, DOS 3. DOS 2 is what put them on the map and they're not going to stray from that. Look at the icons, everything is from DOS 2 or heavily inspired from it.
And mechanics will be just the same, with the exception that they will implement some things from 5e but 80 - 90% of them will be identical to DOS 2.

Desolate Dancer

Educated
It's better because cubism looks like shit
And I guess red is objectively a prettier color than blue, right?

No I endorse good fucking art made by skilled and talented artists with an eye for beauty over modernist crap that only exists to make some retarded point.
It's just sad that you don't want to get the point... this perspective is no better than the one SJW's have. I get that it's edgy, but it's wrong.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Forgive me. I'm talking about THAC0 one sec and aesthetics the next, so I forgot to add the exception of ToB. Yes, AC does not keep pace with ToB THAC0 Lords, but my point was a general one. You can also see on my blog that I made a concession to ToB in my AC Lords: The Supertankers write-up (even the DR bit). Cheers!
To be pedantic, reading the article, it is my understanding that Single Weapon Style is capable of conferring additional natural Armor Class bonuses beyond the -20 AC cap and the Dexterity figure (putting the overall maximum natural AC at -28) and that the next best option for characters forced to stack Armor Class for physical survivability (Monks, I suppose) is to stack modifiers versus specific types of armor, since they allow the Armor Class value to budge above the cap. Thanks to stacking Potions of Absorption, you can achieve negative AC in the forties against blunt weapons and multiple characters have sources of piercing AC (though stacking this to high heavens would only really be of note against Ascension Illasera, and she already has better counters). Unfortunately, it's the hardest to pump up vs slashing AC, which is by far the most common, although with enough pushing of the envelope one might be able to hit around -33 effective AC against that type.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's just sad that you don't want to get the point... this perspective is no better than the one SJW's have. I get that it's edgy, but it's wrong.

No. Modernist art is what's wrong. Beauty is objective, and an art nouveau design, a classicist painting, or classical architecture is objectively more beautiful than modernist abstract art and utilitarian architecture.

It's the "eh tastes are just different all styles are valid" attitude that led to ugly cities people feel depressed in.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why did this thread get so much longer since yester - oh.

I usually avoid posting news about pre-announcement leaks, but for this I'll make an exception.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom