Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
tfw no gith gf
tfw no big tiddy gith gf
tfw no good upcoming CRPG
jpdPOfD.png

Ausdoerrt

Augur
DOS2 was immensely popular despite being a messy pile of what the hell and a clear downgrade over #1 in most areas.
It had a more generic / mainstream story, which is what sold it to most people, I think. DOS1 was more like proof of concept.

I've had a hunch for a long time that the game would have turn-based combat. What I'm curious to see now is whether it will have either 1) alternate real-time combat mode or 2) "action" third-person perspective exploration with jumping/climbing etc.
My bet is yes, it will. For 1) at least, or BG fanboys will eat them alive.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If Featherfall is in, does that mean we'll have verticality to play around with? Solasta just lost its only gimmick.

Jezal_k23

DOS2 was immensely popular despite being a messy pile of what the hell and a clear downgrade over #1 in most areas.
It had a more generic / mainstream story, which is what sold it to most people, I think. DOS1 was more like proof of concept.

I've had a hunch for a long time that the game would have turn-based combat. What I'm curious to see now is whether it will have either 1) alternate real-time combat mode or 2) "action" third-person perspective exploration with jumping/climbing etc.
My bet is yes, it will. For 1) at least, or BG fanboys will eat them alive.

DOS1 started with the murder mystery, and I've seen plenty of more casual players on Reddit say the game stalls as soon as they get into Cyseal and then they have no idea what to do with the investigation and also have no idea where to go. DOS2 has a much more straightforward start.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If Featherfall is in, does that mean we'll have verticality to play around with? Solasta just lost its only gimmick.
There is verticality in the combat image that was leaked, that archer is basically 3 stories above her target. Of course it remains to be seen if it will be like in D:OS2 or even more evolved

Mortmal

Arcane
Confirmed: Swen has balls of steel, he's making a turn-based top-down RPG with 350 people. Screens leaked by French site: https://www.jeuxactu.com/jeu/images-baldur-s-gate-3-20343-5.htm

It looks like D:OS 2+.

oAaPQCb.jpg

rPPA08Q.jpg

o7hVX18.jpg

kIIT7uD.jpg

More:

damn, what a bro. Will fucking first day buy if true, don't even care if its good in the end really. Just the principle of him doing it. a AAA 350 person top down AD&D turn based RPG. Yeah there is going to be some decline in the dialogue and shit maybe, etc..but if this is true, dude deserves some support for doing this IMO.

Lots of incline there, difficult terrain status received, use of Z axis, the crossbowman is up there (giving him advantage on its shot?) means its faithfull to the pen and paper system ,status effects ont he characters, bludgeoning damage, means different damage types. Interface clearly shows there's many spells and abiltiies you can place there , i dont see cooldowns either. The AC system of DOS 2 is gone, replaced by the hp system of D&D 5E. Only thing different is the hit chance there's no such thing in 5E, its copy pasted from DOS 2.Hopefully there's a mode for purists.

Now why so much secrecy about gameplay , what was so wrong in telling us its pretty much like DOS 2 and turn based ?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Look at the combat screenshot - it seems designed to demonstrate verticality. And if nothing else we know that the dos engine handles verticality pretty well

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Is this kind of DOS2-y cookiecutter dialogue acceptable in the post-DE era?

This honestly astounds me. I know plenty of people with fairly diverse gaming tastes, casual and hardcore but none like DoS2, yet online it seems popular and it has good player numbers of steam. Where do all these people come from? Who are they?

Doktor Best

Arcane
How exactly is this a copy of Divinity OS now? Or are we pulling claims out of our asses again?

And even if it was true, wasnt DOS1 GOTY 2014 and DOS2 GOTY 2017 here on the codex? Where does all the butthurt come from?

Saerain

Augur
Patron
I just want a good toolset so bad. The style is... decent, and I don't hate D:OS2 mechanics by any means, so let me write my own shitty story and we're golden.

Elex

Arbiter
How exactly is this a copy of Divinity OS now? Or are we pulling claims out of our asses again?

And even if it was true, wasnt DOS1 GOTY 2014 and DOS2 GOTY 2017 here on the codex? Where does all the butthurt come from?
From beamdog fan that think BG is about infinity engine and 2D backdrop.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
People whining "it's too D:OS" sound like they wanted Larian to make another Pillars of Eternity :roll:

People wanted PoE-esque art with good D&D-based combat (whether turn-based or rtwp) and normal-looking dialogue. As it is now, when it comes to successors, PoE wins art, Kingmaker wins combat and writing (low bar), BG3 wins, uh... maybe the combat will hold up?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

This honestly astounds me. I know plenty of people with fairly diverse gaming tastes, casual and hardcore but none like DoS2, yet online it seems popular and it has good player numbers of steam. Where do all these people come from? Who are they?
To me your statement is what astounds me. I know similarly quite a lot of various degrees of gamers and noone dislikes DoS2, they all like it to different degrees. D:OS2 has an extremely good reputation everywhere (but in here , of course)

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Now why so much secrecy about gameplay , what was so wrong in telling us its pretty much like DOS 2 and turn based ?
Because they thought it would alienate the fans of BG and they'd accuse them of aping the name. They didn't realize, however, that the prestigious fans wanted BG to be turn-based in the first place. I'm trying very hard to contain my excitement, but I find it a bit difficult because this is the first AAA turn-based D&D RPG ever. Ever. I didn't think I'd live to see the day. Unless you count the Goldbox games, but I wouldn't, are they considered AAA? I doubt it. The only thing I don't like is that it looks like DA:I.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

All of my casual RPG-interested friends love the shit out of DS2. Honestly, most people don't give a toss about game mechanics. DOS2 is a goofy pot full of insane ideas and customization which people really gel with. No one notices that the loot system is a randomly generated shitbag of linear upgrades all the way through the game, and since they're playing on normal they're curbstomping the combat too hard to notice its problems as well

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Man catching up to this thread after work tomorrow gonna be hard. The stream is 2 AM my time and when I return to work tomorrow I would probably have at least 50 additional pages.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom