Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Now why so much secrecy about gameplay , what was so wrong in telling us its pretty much like DOS 2 and turn based ?
Because they thought it would alienate the fans of BG

I complained about the insane announcement delays on this game to my (succesful) friend in video game development, and he told me it's easily the most effective way to advertise. Announce something waaaaay ahead of time, let slip tiny details with vast amounts of time in between the small details, then go 600% complete megaham on the advertisement the last 3-4 months before release. I thought the opposite was the case, but there you go. Also explains Bloodlines' marketing I suppose

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I'm trying very hard to contain my excitement, but I find it a bit difficult because this is the first AAA turn-based D&D RPG ever. Ever. I didn't think I'd live to see the day. Unless you count the Goldbox games, but I wouldn't, are they considered AAA? I doubt it.

And what's so exciting about something being a AAA game?

People wanted PoE-esque art with good D&D-based combat (whether turn-based or rtwp) and normal-looking dialogue. As it is now, when it comes to successors, PoE wins art, Kingmaker wins combat and writing (low bar), BG3 wins, uh... maybe the combat will hold up?
Frankly all my major complaints about D: OS 1 and 2 were related to the shitty custom ruleset Larian used and the HIDEOUS randomized itemization.
By the virtue of being based on D&D alone BG3 is already addressing both from the start up.

Also, the art style/production value seems to be improved here, and it's weird to read all these autistic people whining about it non-stop, when most of the same people could never shut up for a second about how amazing Pathfinder: Kingmaker was, and that game looked straight garbage-tier when it comes to character models and animation.

Allyriadil

Educated
As someone that hated Divinity Original Sin this looks like the same fucking shit. They also adjusted the D&D 5E rule set so this is going to be fun.
I am also disappointed with no RtwP. Divinity OS had such boring slow tedious combat encounters, it looks like they haven't learned at all.
It's cringe to see the mainstream crowd getting all excited while they have never experienced the classics.

RIP another franchise ruined.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Kingmaker wins combat

You on this train as well? That surprises me. Kingmaker's combat past level 8 is a degenerate mess. Before that I really enjoyed it but after, the creases in Pathfinder and the sheer lack of balance that resultats from the complexity start to break the game down

Codex Year of the Donut
As someone that hated Divinity Original Sin this looks like the same fucking shit. They also adjusted the D&D 5E rule set so this is going to be fun.
I am also disappointed with no RtwP. Divinity OS had such boring slow tedious combat encounters, it looks like they haven't learned at all.
It's cringe to see the mainstream crowd getting all excited while they have never experienced the classics.

People who like rtwp should be put in prison.

Vatnik Wumao

People who like rtwp should be put in prison.
Dunno about that, but combatfags have no place in the future Arpigian ethnostate.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You on this train as well? That surprises me. Kingmaker's combat past level 8 is a degenerate mess. Before that I really enjoyed it but after, the creases in Pathfinder and the sheer lack of balance that resultats from the complexity start to break the game down

I'm just going by Codex consensus. I haven't started it, though I will try soon.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm only worried about two things at the moment:
- I'm afraid the turn system will be "us - them" and not per character. But that's just a feeling I get from the images so far
- We still didn't see any equipment and I'm worried that we'll get a diablo-loot system like in the D:OS games... Which kinda goes against D&D and its item progression etc. I still have hope but that's a major worry

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I'm just going by Codex consensus. I haven't started it, though I will try soon.

ah, i getchu

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

This is not only the case in Kingmaker, though, it was a problem with D&D higher levels in general.

Vatnik Wumao
Combatfags are the only true citizens of Arpigian.
:decline:

I myself prefer TB and value good gameplay, but this false dichotomy of storyfags and combatfags is shit. While some of us can tolerate bad gameplay when there is a good story to be experienced (or vice versa), a true RPG connoisseur should demand both good combat and good story from their games.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
We still didn't see any equipment and I'm worried that we'll get a diablo-loot system like in the D:OS games... Which kinda goes against D&D and its item progression etc. I still have hope but that's a major worry
They wouldn't dare. Right? Right?!!

his false dichotomy of storyfags and combatfags is shit. While some of us can tolerate bad gameplay when there is a good story to be experienced (or vice versa), a true RPG connoisseur should demand both good combat and good story from their games.
It's honestly incredible how many codexians fail to grasp this basic fact.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom