Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Seemed like a given this was going to be TB considering Larian made two well-received TB RPGs already.

Not sure why some people prefer RTwP. RTwP has always been seen as a grudging concession to the wider market and the nexus of playability vs design, not superior in it's own right. It's like how some people actually prefer the taste of Diet Coke.

Strange times we live in.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
YoBE7OJ.jpg

What race is that? Orc and goblin?
Sarkeesian

ChildInTime

Learned
I don't know if I like that dialogue style - while it worked pretty well in OS2, here it looks very out of place somehow. Also what in the hell is with that bright and sunny artstyle, I hoped for something more mature after that gruesome reveal trailer.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Really didn't expect a staff that large to make D:OS 3. Weird. Maybe there's stuff we can't tell from the screens though, like alternate modes. Find out soon enough.

Thal

Augur
Lots of incline there, difficult terrain status received, use of Z axis, the crossbowman is up there (giving him advantage on its shot?) means its faithfull to the pen and paper system ,status effects ont he characters, bludgeoning damage, means different damage types. Interface clearly shows there's many spells and abiltiies you can place there , i dont see cooldowns either. The AC system of DOS 2 is gone, replaced by the hp system of D&D 5E. Only thing different is the hit chance there's no such thing in 5E, its copy pasted from DOS 2.Hopefully there's a mode for purists.

Now why so much secrecy about gameplay , what was so wrong in telling us its pretty much like DOS 2 and turn based ?

Yes, it's DnD with some of the best things of D:OS. It's a tactical turn-based AAA DnD game. This is how far the incline has come, and people are complaining. Of course, it will be a BG3 in name only, but not even Black Hound was going to be anything else. I wish it was a real BG successor, but we have to be realistic here.

It won't have the charm of BG1. The UI is uninspiring, as will be the writing, art direction bland, the tone BG2-ToB style epic. Romances abound. But on the other hand that says nothing about quest design, environmental interaction or maps. Taken together, there is every reason to be optimistic.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
While it is unusual, I know why they do the indirect speech thing. There's quite a difference between how a well-educated nobleman, a merchant, a peasant, or a sub-80 IQ orc would express themselves. The word choices, sentence structure and topics are all different, so it's weird to have all of these characters talking the same way.

Yeah, the idea behind it is to not impose a tone upon the player character, but this method is quite unsatisfactory.

It's kinda how Half Life 2 and Dishonored 1 have silent protagonists as to not impose an opinion or a voice upon the player, but it's still a fixed character with an in-world history (especially in Dishonored) and your character gets to be part of conversations, where people just talk at him and he gives zero response. It's just silly and jarring.

Of course, these are completely different styles of games and these indirect dialogues represent your character speaking, so there's no silent protagonist. But it still makes your character feel like an empty template. It's a barrier towards immersion, and a lot of people care about immersion and identifying with their character (or playing different characters with different personality traits).

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Seemed like a given this was going to be TB considering Larian made two well-received TB RPGs already.

Not sure why some people prefer RTwP. RTwP has always been seen as a grudging concession to the wider market and the nexus of playability vs design, not superior in it's own right. It's like how some people actually prefer the taste of Diet Coke.

Strange times we live in.

Because I love pulling a huge group of mobs towards my party while they wait off somewhere far away and then nuking a huge pile of trash mobs with a single fireball. I also like kiting and doing other things you can't do in a turn based game. It also makes the combat feel faster and more action packed. I remember the first time I played NWN after playing BG2 and it felt like shit to me because of how slow it was and it wasn't even turn based. Little things BG did like having the fake swings and misses to keep things from feeling slow really made a big difference for me. The only turn based crpg I ever got into was TOEE and I wasn't able to beat it because of a game breaking crash at a certain point. At this point that was like 15 years ago and I can't even remember what I liked about it. The only turn based games that felt somewhat fast and fun to me were all classic jrpgs.

In before a bunch of fags rate my post retarded because they can't handle someone having a different opinion than them

Jezal_k23

RIP childhood, never to be seen again.

This is the default btw. The feeling of childhood can't and won't ever come back. If that's what you're looking for from your games, then I find that deeply sad and pitiful, and I'm sorry that you'll never get it back, but this is what the world is. I'm sorry - it's gone. You have to get over it.

Codex Year of the Donut
RIP childhood, never to be seen again.

This is the default btw. The feeling of childhood can't and won't ever come back. If that's what you're looking for from your games, then I find that deeply sad and pitiful, and I'm sorry that you'll never get it back.
Like half the posters on this forum are doomers in their 30s wishing their life wasn't shit and wanting to be children again.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Little things BG did like having the fake swings and misses to keep things from feeling slow really made a big difference for me.
Nigga, NWN is full of these swings and parries you like so much. Dafug are you talking about.

I don't know enough about NWN to know if it was the same thing but I don't think it was. In BG it was something that happened between rounds to keep your characters from standing around doing nothing. They weren't actual misses and parries. Everything about NWN felt obnoxiously slow to me. I used to complain about it to one of my RPG friends from back in the day and I remember within 10 minutes of getting him to do BG2 multiplayer with me he said "Well, I definitely understand why you think NWN is slow now".

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Little things BG did like having the fake swings and misses to keep things from feeling slow really made a big difference for me.
Nigga, NWN is full of these swings and parries you like so much. Dafug are you talking about.

uuuh no NWN only has attack and parry animations once every six seconds or something and probably the slowest RTwP combat ever made

agris

Arcane
Patron
*I told the hell spawn to cut to the chase. What did he want?*
"Cut to the chase. What do you want?"

Now, explain what the extra verbiage and the filtered perspective of the first choice adds to the experience. Explain why telling someone you said something is better than showing you saying something.

This is the Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time series) school of writing, and I am sad to report that his books are quite popular. Or rather:

I told Decado how disappointed I was that poor-quality writing was happily consumed by the masses. When I told Decado this, I was implying that Larian's writers are aping an ugly convention that appears to have worked its way into the fantasy-writing zeitgeist. I was not happy to share these observations.​

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom