Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Something that I'm noticing currently in the images....

In this one:
oAaPQCb.jpg

It says "TURN-BASED" on top. They don't seem to be exactly in combat though? More likely have sprung some trap? Why would they say "turn-based"? You can toggle it even outside of combat?

Here where they are actually in combat:

rPPA08Q.jpg

There's no mention of "TURN-BASED", it only says "IN COMBAT". Also there is clearly a lack of a turn order unless I'm missing something. We can see the enemies on the top left but that's it. The button with the hourglass would obviously indicate an "end turn" but I'm curious if they actually have some hybrid system and therefore no turn orders? But rounds? And you can toggle turn-based mode somehow?

There's some speculation this means there's a RTwP mode.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
When you call your game "Baldur's Gate" — you make it RTWP.
But then how are boomers going to play it? You should be more tolerable toward old people with shit hand eye coordination. From now on everything should have a TB mode so all those poor disabled people could feel included:smug:.
And story mode for millenials. We don't want to offend anyone, after all.
I really wanted to comeback at you with some funny joke about past on the rpg codex....but then i remembered that all you do is post sometimes(rarely) funny one liners and larp as a german. It is a shame how little i know about you and your taste in games after 3 years of being here.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I'll be shocked beyond belief if we don't get to choose between real-time and turn-based, though. Seems to be a rising fad these days.

Shadenuat

Arcane
that would end the only actual good thing going for this game.

we can already see game has elevation and stuff which requires precise positioning. it's not for RT.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm not strictly a fan of this approach, but in all honesty I also don't give a shit about it and I think for all intents and purposes it's practically inconsequential.
I'd be curious to read something *rational* about why do you people care so fucking much about trivial shit like this.

In practical terms the difference between a non-voiced
"Yes, I agree"
and a non-voiced
*I told him I agreed*
is entirely flavor. It doesn't change a fucking thing.

Well, personally I wouldn't even write "I told him I agreed" but "I agreed."

In any event, it severely reduces the range of things you can say. Reported speech is used in narration when there is little need for detail and you (the narrator) want to express the gist of something: "After a long and, at times, tense discussion, I told him I just didn't agree with him" rather than two pages of dialogue to get to that point. It is useful, and when used with a powerful narrator it can give you great sentences, but it has limitations. It is something the narrator uses to get to the point, but I can't imagine what train of thought led them to believe it is a good idea to use it for an entire game as the basis for their dialogue system... and in the first-person and past tense. I can see it working in the present tense, to simulate player interaction with the DM, but... in the past tense? Is that how youngsters play D&D now? Is it a Critical Role thing or something? Because the game (or the tutorial or whatever) is a flashback?

Anyway, the point is that the more complex the sentence is, the worse it sounds when translated as reported speech. "Yeah, well, that is, like, your opinion, man" is virtually impossible to write as reported speech or loses its distinctive style, which means that all dialogue will have to be very bland and without personality or charm. Also, they aren't even using their own system correctly, as the image I quoted before shows:

o7hVX18.jpg

1. *Well met. I supposed he was on the ship as well?*

That barely makes sense. Well met is something you say, what follows isn't; it's a description of a thought or a conclusion or an explanation, and it's not clear to me what its purpose is. I'm really trying, but I can't imagine why that is, in any way, better than just "Well met. I haven't seen you before. Were you on the ship as well?" And if you really want to write in that indirect way, it should be something like *I greeted him back and asked him whether he had also been a passenger on the ship*

2.*I asked where he had just appeared from.* is in no way better than "From where in the Nine Hells did you just come from?" or any other 100s of alternatives.

And I assume the third option is the standard psychotic option many RPGs have, but this style makes it look dumb. The original BG had many psychotic/crazy/funny answers, but if this is how this game will be written, there won't be many because it's really hard to write funny dialogue or memorable one-liners using reported speech. How would you write (from BG) "Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!" without sounding like a total
crazyrobot.gif
?

This also applies to NPCs, of course. Imagine NPC dialogue was also written in that style, and you will quickly see why it's weak writing: "He said he was glad his eyes didn't deceive him and that he was Gale." I can't even add the 'Well met!' in there.

Also, keep in mind that the lack of dialogue box means all responses will probably be very short, so no long or amusing answers like this:

nioaLcG.jpg

My only hope is that this is just placeholder text or a first draft, but it doesn't seem to be that way.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's some speculation this means there's a RTwP mode.
I wouldn't be surprised if they go the (eventual) PoE2 route - having both available

That's what I thought too, but balancing those two systems will be a nightmare. Not sure if POE2 did it right with their turn-based update.
They didn't imo. But they built the systems without TB in mind and then they slapped it on which had awkward results in some areas. I believe Larian will have worked with both systems in mind (if there are both there ofcourse)

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
But then how are boomers going to play it?
If they can actually get 65+ year old people to play the game I'll give them my respect
Isn't a boomer 50+? I mean,half the codex is old people. Just look at Crispy .
I thought boomers are from THE BOOMER GENERATION (1937-1956)
Isn't a boomer 50+? I mean,half the codex is old people. Just look at Crispy .

Baby boomers were born between 1944 and 1964. They're currently between 55-75 years old but if you ask a zoomer everyone is a boomer

Meh,have no idea about all that kwan slang. I call boomers all the codexers that writer as if they don't know how to use a mouse and space at the same time. Kwan is the only weird country where people talk and name generations in such a retarded way.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Looks like shit, Divinity Original Sin 2: Baldur's Gate Edition.

How can they fuck up the looks of a game so easily is beyond my comprehension when Obsidian got it right in their first try.

They didn't try obviously.

Mortmal

Arcane
But then how are boomers going to play it?
If they can actually get 65+ year old people to play the game I'll give them my respect
I know a 80 years old who still play video games . The fact to be completely immersed into them was alleviating the pain caused by a prostate cancer , keeping the mind away helped .
No despair button, he's still alive and kicking !

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
RTwP is utter trash when used to adopt a system that was originally TB. Larian are fixing the mistakes of your parents the past.
It's a really bizarre thing to cling to, but nostalgia is a poison that has hijacked all forms of media for the past decade. Everyone wants to be a teenager again and not face the hellish world outside.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
*I told the hell spawn to cut to the chase. What did he want?*
"Cut to the chase. What do you want?"

Now, explain what the extra verbiage and the filtered perspective of the first choice adds to the experience. Explain why telling someone you said something is better than showing you saying something.

This is the Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time series) school of writing, and I am sad to report that his books are quite popular. Or rather:

I told Decado how disappointed I was that poor-quality writing was happily consumed by the masses. When I told Decado this, I was implying that Larian's writers are aping an ugly convention that appears to have worked its way into the fantasy-writing zeitgeist. I was not happy to share these observations.​
Sniffs.
Not enough braid tugging.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Am I the only one who's perfectly fine with both Rtwp and Tb? i like them in a different way.

This is a stupid argument because we knew Larian was going to go for TB, and nobody was bitching about that. Hating RTwP is a given in the Codex, nobody cares if they were going to change this, and in fact it's the one thing we expected to incline.

It's EVERYTHING ELSE that's the issue. Writing, story, characters, tone, atmosphere, visuals, music, continuity with the previous games etc etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom