Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ausdoerrt

Augur
I prefer to be playing a game with a madman like Irenicus than a demon like the devil from South Park.
If you're referring to the tiefling from character select - that is, sadly, what they've looked like since 4e, and WotC enforces it hard.

When Dungeons & Dragons Online introduced tieflings, they tried to include a classic 3.5e look, but WotC told them to axe it.

License rights are a bitch.

AliceAlcina

Learned

Yosharian

Arcane
Amazing, I am floored. I didn't imagine even in my wildest dreams they would be so faithful to D&D. This is cause for celebration, anyone who thinks otherwise is insane. Speaking purely from a combat perspective.
Complainers don't want a faithful D&D adaptation, they want a nostalgia trip with a space hamster romance subplot.

I am fine with visuals looking like DOS2, but on the other hand, I was not expecting to watch a stream for DOS3, and this is what I have just watched. Cursor is the same, elemental environment, scenarios, movement, buttons, labels, GUI, icons, character creation, pre made characters... Even the way you start the game is the same!
Dude, it's pre-alpha, obviously stuff like icons etc. will change closer to release.

Yeah visually it does not look like an old school CRPG at all.
Why should it, though? It's a modern adaptation of a new edition of D&D. Beamdog's already tried to do BG 2.5, how well did that go? Why are we asking for this again?
Yeahhh I'm not necessarily saying it should, just an observation.

I'm willing to be convinced by a new, different style, but it's not convincing me 100% right now.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Abducted, infected, lost. You are turning into a monster, but as the corruption inside you grows, so does your power. That power may help you to survive, but there will be a price to pay, and more than any ability, the bonds of trust that you build within your party could be your greatest strength. Caught in a conflict between devils, deities, and sinister otherworldly forces, you will determine the fate of the Forgotten Realms together.
Just imagine Mask Of Betrayer with Larian writing....
we all know it would be 100% profit and would never force you to reload game MoTB style.

Israfael

Arcane
That did not look like a D&D game at all, but I never touched 5ed so I can't really say that for sure. The greatest irony is that they can't have both 3.5ed and FR/Faerun, it's either TB Kingmaker-like game with original lore or 5ed "endless systematic depth"(tm)(C) along with the BG fluff. Although I did not feel anything that indicated that the gay vampire was somewhere on the Sword coast (they could have dropped some in-unviserse locations or something to anchor the scene instead of generic "Act I DOS2" setting that was presented.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Because baldur's gate was such a joyless grimdark experience. Some of you people are fucking retarded.
This absolute retard. No one has even commented on the tone of the game which is what your comment is talking about.
friendly reminder that the resident zoomer doesn't like fallout
Bring up shit irrelevant to the topic at hand because you've got nothing to say. We already know you're a soy beta male, no need to keep proving it to us.
What's up bud! Still wanking to snuff movies on the internet?
No wonder your avatar is a guy ready to blow his brains out, you little shit!
Lmao, you're still mad I called you out for being a little bitch. You're clearly the same brand of subhuman as SF, y'all should talk.
which is why the jump to the D&D ruleset is a massive improvement, dumbass
Like I said, ten times 0 is still 0 you fucking monkey. Learn to read.

kinda cool how people on RPG Codex are calling a turn-based iso CRPG with a faithfully implemented D&D ruleset "decline" because it looks ugly, huh
It's not as serious as a first two BG, you know the one with 'funny' guy with a hamster, mage who transforms into woman and wants his penis back, cow throwing magic and other totally serious shit happening all the time. Also it doesn't replicate the game that came out 20 years ago in it's entirety, while somehow being different, so it's bad.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
I also find it frustrating that gameplay is not progressing, only really the tech. All this time has passed and graphics got better, but I would really like something that is like a new leap forward from BG2 in terms of gameplay, and this just isn't. It is the same thing I've played 100 times. I know a lot of people want more BG and I'd play it too, but I would prefer to see an evolution of RPGs. And that doesn't seem possible when the best we can hope for is a game that tries to be like something from 20 years ago but with a lick of fresh paint.
Well, I'd say the multiplayer options are a progress in both tech and gameplay experience. Not one I particularly care for, but the younger generation seems to find this engaging, so why not.

Murk

Arcane
You can use sources of light to manipulate shadows in game to give you cover for stealth. That's... fucking great.

A part of me is hoping the engine allows for a Thief style game to be made in it.

I also find it frustrating that gameplay is not progressing, only really the tech. All this time has passed and graphics got better, but I would really like something that is like a new leap forward from BG2 in terms of gameplay, and this just isn't. It is the same thing I've played 100 times. I know a lot of people want more BG and I'd play it too, but I would prefer to see an evolution of RPGs. And that doesn't seem possible when the best we can hope for is a game that tries to be like something from 20 years ago but with a lick of fresh paint.
Well, I'd say the multiplayer options are a progress in both tech and gameplay experience. Not one I particularly care for, but the younger generation seems to find this engaging, so why not.

I originally thought it was pure gimmick and a waste of time/resources... but then I got to play through a campaign with 3 friends and it was incredibly fun. It was not quite the magic of 13 year old in basement + d&d, but it was about as close as I had gotten to that in 20 years.

Vatnik Wumao
Although I did not feel anything that indicated that the gay vampire was somewhere on the Sword coast (they could have dropped some in-unviserse locations or something to anchor the scene instead of generic "Act I DOS2" setting that was presented.
After the tutorial, you are next to some river which leads to the city of Baldur's Gate. The earlier fantasy steampunk Need For Speed cinematic occurred in some city whose name starts with I (?).

AliceAlcina

Learned
kinda cool how people on RPG Codex are calling a turn-based iso CRPG with a faithfully implemented D&D ruleset "decline" because it looks ugly, huh
It's not as serious as a first two BG, you know the one with 'funny' guy with a hamster, mage who transforms into woman and wants his penis back and other totally serious shit happening all the time.

I know, that's totally Larian!

Shadenuat

Arcane
It's d&d 5.

from what I seen by reading the players handbook long time ago, it felts like quite streamlined d&d trying to get a bit more of a spirit of AD&D and leaving some things to imagination. it is supposed to play well in tabletop and be balanced and numbers not too high (like class proficiency going from something like +2 to +6?) + capped numbers at places. your modifiers are advantage (roll d20 twice pick highest) and dis (roll d20 twice pick lowest).

So far game has 6 stats and 6 classes +some skills and that is extent of character building we know.

then again maybe d&d 5 fight with bloat would counter larian love for it.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Especially when quoting that special needs kid who barely joined and now thinks the codex has "gone to the dogs". If your tastes align with his you might have a problem.
Fuck off me boy. You keep talking but I'm still waiting for that picture. I'm a fucking chad, and there is literally nothing I can't do better than you.

What picture are you waiting for, shitbrain?

You're irrelevant. You are a fucking teenager. That alone means that anything you say is retarded and useless. Your taste in anything is shit for that alone. You're as interesting as a retard screeching and flapping his arms around. You are literal space filler.
But they worst part is you're way, way dumber than the average teenager. A cautionary tale if I've ever seen one.

LMAO. "i'm so much better than you at everything". :lol: "ItsChon" is the level of intelligence you have to be to think that wins an internet argument. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom