Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal, Previews and Interviews

I havent watched much, but have seen enough to sate the immediate curiosity. So far all criticisms seem valid, though the departure was less severe than with Fallout 2 to 3. The part where he lights his bow on fire to give it fire damage, then enters stealth with his newly blazing bow felt off. Overall, I'd say this is about what I expected. Art is still D:OS2 eyesore, though less severe.

Since I didn't manage to play D:OS2 that much I might as well wait for this Divinity: Origins D&D Module, right?

*You have told Sven that you'd buy his product even if every dialogue line was written in future continuous*

rhollis

Educated
Patron
I wonder what happened with all the 'fixes' to the system like no rolls to hit? Where is that super interactive environment and all the other stuff they talked about in the interviews? Was it all just a bait to make people obsessively post for 300 pages? If so Swen is a very good baiter. A master even.

Swen noted in the Q&A that this build doesn’t contain the “fixes” he alluded to previously. Those will be introduced as Larian works to balance difficulty. I took this as a promising sign that the game could contain a difficulty setting where the mechanics are relatively close to pnp.

Concerned about the pacing issues though, with those lengthy encounters and trap sequences, and the DOS-style compact theme park map design seems like it could take away from that epic feel of the sprawling BG world.

BG had a distinct authenticity & charm, largely rooted in it's UI & isometric artwork. That played a huge part in giving the games their distinct "classic" feel & vibe.

This has absolutely none of that at all. Folk are comparing it to DA:O, but it's way more like DA:I in it's modern, bright, bulky, bullshit approach.

A fucking disgrace all round. Awful pacing too. Every real battle & trap seemed to take an age.

I could not have stated it better, mate. It is a fucking disgrace, all around. My fears have been confirmed - Sven has indeed shit the bed on this one. Looking forward to Realms Beyond.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is it possible to still back this? Swen deserves the support on principle of making a D&D, isometric, turn based RPG in current year and cucking all of the harbingers of decline.

lol it was never a Kickstarter. You can back it by buying it on Early Access when it becomes available.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Where is that super interactive environment and all the other stuff they talked about in the interviews? Was it all just a bait to make people obsessively post for 300 pages?
Well there was that one bit with a destructible wall you could use to kill enemies, that also opens an alternate entrance into the dungeon at the cost of placing enemies on high alert.

How prevalent will that be in the game? Who knows. Could be an actual feature, could be a total gimmick.

Anyway, this looks like a rather straightforward mix between DA production values and DOS gameplay. Targeting disgruntled DA:O fans that didn't like the direction Bioware taken with the rest of the series actually seems pretty smart. I don't think they look to attract a lot of BG fans with this. The title is only there to message the potential customers that this game is a throwback to 'good old times' of pre-EA Bioware.
I'm pretty sure the "old BG fans" audience is pretty damn narrow, so a smart move on their part.

You really thought they were going to make a 2D isometric RPG with such a big brand name? This is called "Baldur's Gate 3", they just couldn't just risk to directly compete with Pathfinder, Pillars of Eternity and the like, that would have been madness.
I don't think they're scared of competition, because I don't think the titles you named are much of competition. Just compare PoE2 sales to DOS2 sales. I think Larian just want to make the game they want to make, not the game someone else wants them to make - that includes nostalgic BG fans.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another environmental interaction is when Swen used a fire in the environment to give his character's bow a fire damage bonus. And of course all the jumping around and stuff. And that trap section with the Mage Hand.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The D&D ruleset has apparently been straightforwardly adapted

"94%" chance to hit means they aren't using d20s. People who want an easy to understand system aren't likely to get it here and will have to stick with Wrath of the Righteous (and Solasta and Realms Beyond and KotC 2, etc).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

"94%" chance to hit means they aren't using d20s. People who want an easy to understand system aren't likely to get it here and will have to stick with Wrath of the Righteous (and Solasta and Realms Beyond and KotC 2, etc).

He did say the game was using the same numerical values from tabletop near the end but you're right, I should rephrase that.

It may be a range penalty.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It was never going to be anything but 5th Edition. We've known that from the beginning. (The only way to get around that rule is if you're Beamdog and creating expansion packs for old games)

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:hmmm:

Looks like the stylistic successor to Drakensang: River of Time.

I was expecting grittier with the graphics of Divinity: Original Sin series, but it looks like what we're getting is Divinity art with scaled up graphics.

I suppose Larian has to be true to its visual identity. The best thing I can say about it is that it is distinctive and separates itself from other samples of the genre and the medium, which is a big achievement in and of itself.

Last edited:

smileyninja

Educated
Was the voice actress of the fighter character the same one that voice Sara from DA:I? I got a strong vibe from her mannerisms and accent.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Was the voice actress of the fighter character the same one that voice Sara from DA:I? I got a strong vibe from her mannerisms and accent.

Is there a way to answer that question that doesn't involve acknowledging that Dragon Age: Inquisition exists? We were doing a good job of that for the past couple years.

Sezneg

Literate

They're using the "advantage/disadvantage" system from DND 5e. In some sitautions you will roll twice and either take the highest or lowest result. So they're hiding the dice rolls elsewhere in the UI by default and calculating the chance of achieving the target result for you on the default view.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom