Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I am about to play V:TM-Bloodlines for the first time - what do I need to know before I start?

Bah

Arcane
Don't forget to get a top-hat, a cape, and a cane to wear while you play, and queue up My Dying Bride in your playlist.

JDR13

Arcane
Use Wesp5's basic patch, and avoid playing as Nosferatu or Malkavian on your first playthrough. Not that they aren't fun, but I just think they're better for a subsequent replay.

cruel

Cipher
Play with latest Wesp patch. Save frequently, keep older saves and don't delete them. There may be cases when you want to load older save.

Also, invest in some combat skill. You won't be able to beat the game without one of those (melee, ranged, brawl). Some points in 'Dodge' also help.

Wesp5

Arcane
Don't believe the haters, there is no fan-fiction in the basic patch, just fixes and restored sounds or lines here and there.

Yeah, that's the issue. :M

Well, the restored lines in the basic patch are not fan-fiction. They are original Troika lines that just had their connections broken so they couldn't be heard!

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Inb4 this thread turns into another modding vs purism fight like the fallout 1 mod thread.

Bloodlines absolutely benefitted from extensive modding, becuase it was a fucking bugridden shitfest at launch and onwards.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Play as Brujah if you want to crack skulls, Gangrel if you want to punch everything dead, Toreador if you want to talk your way through things (and shoot people when that doesn't work), or Tremere if you want be a mage. Though if you want to be a rich asshole you could go Ventrue.

Absolutely no reason to not install the basic patch. The state of the game on release (no thanks to Activision) is part of why Troika isn't here anymore.

Codex Year of the Donut
Inb4 this thread turns into another modding vs purism fight like the fallout 1 mod thread.

Bloodlines absolutely benefitted from extensive modding, becuase it was a fucking bugridden shitfest at launch and onwards.
Agreed, Wesp made a good game and Troika made a decent mod for it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Don't believe the haters, there is no fan-fiction in the basic patch, just fixes and restored sounds or lines here and there.

Well, the restored lines in the basic patch are not fan-fiction. They are original Troika lines that just had their connections broken so they couldn't be heard!
:hmmm:
Referring to this line by Chunk: "Nobody expects the Malkavian Inquisition." I have to admit that line is by me, there wasn't anything there for Malkavians in the original game...
Function // added by wesp
{
"name" "Duckling"
"description" "Duckling"
"runtext" "My new kitten! - ***"
"dependency" "G.Jeanette_Boink > 0"

Email // added by wesp
{
"subject" "I want to see you soon"
"sender" "Jeanette"
"body" "I'm bored. Can't you come entertain me? I'm at the club.... XOXOXO"

Codex Year of the Donut

:hmmm:
Referring to this line by Chunk: "Nobody expects the Malkavian Inquisition." I have to admit that line is by me, there wasn't anything there for Malkavians in the original game...
{
"name" "Duckling"
"description" "Duckling"

Email // added by wesp
{
"sender" "Jeanette"
I think the second part might actually be restored content that was originally incorrectly placed on the wrong terminal

Codex Year of the Donut
I think the second part might actually be restored content that was originally incorrectly placed on the wrong terminal
He added it to Bertram's pc. :M
Yes, because I believe it was on the wrong terminal(and was inaccessible due to checks) — it's merely restored content if so. I'd have to go download the entire game to make sure and I'm too lazy to do that.

Wesp5

Arcane

Ah, you mean player answers. Yes, some missing Malkavian lines were added by me and others but these are bug fixes!! Or would you have preferred for the Malkavians to suddenly become sane?

{
"name" "Duckling"
"description" "Duckling"

Email // added by wesp
{
"sender" "Jeanette"

Good catch, these should be plus patch only and they are now. Anything similar left over in basic, just report and I will fix it! But rusty_shackleford is right, I took the second email from hackexample.txt.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ah, you mean player answers. Yes, some missing Malkavian lines were added by me and others but these are bug fixes!! Or would you have preferred for the Malkavians to suddenly become sane?

Hard to say depending on the line. I think "It will be" is a suitable enough line for a Malkavian, no extra line necessary. Apparently Mitsoda and Boyarsky thought those lines were good enough as is. Typos, misspellings are bugs. I wouldn't consider grammar or "lack of appropriate options" to be bugs a modder should fix in a pure bug-fix patch, as that's all subjective and without knowing the developer intent.

almondblight

Arcane
-The character creation system is poor and some skills are mostly useless (like investigation).

Are there any other skills/perks/etc. I shouldn't use my XP on?

Haggle seemed pretty useless to me, though I don't know whether a gun wielding character that had to buy ammunition would find it useful. Lockpicking/Hacking/Research/Intimidate/Persuasion/Seduction are all skills just used to pass skillcheck, so if you invest in more than necessary you're just throwing away skill points. I don't think any of the social skills have a check of 10, for instance, so raising them up that high is a waste. Even raising them up to 8 or 9 doesn't give you a lot more, IIRC. You can also use some buffs to pass skill checks (blood buff will raise your lockpicking skill), so factor that in as well.

Research is an odd one. It allows you to raise other skills for a cheaper price by using skill books, though it might be more expensive depending on your goals and how high you raise it. Keep in mind that skill books only work within a certain range. For instance, the firearms book you find early on - saves you 1 point raising the level if you're at 0, saves you 2 points if you're at 1, and is completely worthless if you're higher than one.

This is just for vanilla, the mods/fan patches change things from what I understand.

almondblight

Arcane
Don't know about you, OP, but I personally don't like min/maxing on the first playthrough.

It's not like you're trying to figure out a complex character system though. Upping a social skill to 10 is literally just throwing away 10 XP points for nothing. You're playthrough is going to be the same as someone with 9 points, just with 10 less XP. And there's not even a way to see that in game, because it doesn't give the level for the skill check. Likewise the skill books don't tell you that there's a max skill level, so you only find out after you've wasted one or more.

It's not a difficult game, so it's still easy if you go in and play blind. But a lot of the choices aren't about figuring out different builds, they're more "do you want to waste your XP for no reason or do you want to actually use your XP?"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wesp5 please tell me that the 'G.Jeanette_Boink' variable was named by Troika and not your own doing.
Looks to me like Troika did it. It's a script they set up for people who wanted to have sex with her more than once.
{ 514 }{ I remember something we already did. Is it possible again? }{ I remember something we already did. Is it possible again? }{ 541 }{ G.Jeanette_Boink == 2 and pc.bloodpool > 1 }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ }{ I remember a sweet thing we did. But can we enjoy it again? }

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom