Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If the balance is so shit that it destroys any sense of challenge and/or completely undermines/benefits certain playstyles, then there's really not any meaningful enjoyment to be had with the game...

NO, not true.

I explained in other thread

"By the love of Adanos. All masterpieces among the RPG genre are extremely unbalanced. Baldur's Gate 2? Can be soloed with certain builds and is extremely hard in another. Diablo 1 and 2? Some builds can beat the game naked where others rely a lot of gear. Might & Magic VI? Your party composition will determine the game difficulty. Demon/Dark Souls? Beating DS2 as a Rapier of Chaos(or spearman) Hexer or a Black knight Halberd Paladin is far easier than with a unarmored swordsman without a shield.

On VtMB, there are no way to make the Nosferatu curse(being deformed and not being able to even be seen by kine without breaking the masquarede) and not make a highly social game exponentially harder than a Ventrue gameplay.

Gothic is considered a masterpiece among the genre exactly because of immersion, variety and amazing sense of progression. All Gothic games(except arcania) have you going from nothing to one of the most powerful entities on the world. On G1, you can start as a nobody that a wolf can tear apart in a fraction of second and end the game as someone capable to defeating a archdemon who isw worshiped as a God. Gothic 2 follows the same formula and put the player in valley of mines on chapter 2, where he needs to think outside the box to evade facing much tougher enemies and later in the game, in the same region, now he can defeat the enemies that he was fleeing, giving a amazing sense of progression . Gothic 3 too. As a Water mage, on the beginning, i din't even had magic, i had to find someone able and willing to teach me, spend some levels only on ancient knowledge and once i learned my first water magic spell, i could only cast 6 or 3 Ice Lances per rest(3 if charged). In end game? A image worth more than just words"

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...d-satisfying-development.131850/#post-6536582

----------------------------------------------------------------

HEll, magic on gothic 1/2 is satisfying exactly because is harder than melee.

So it's a DnD-style mod for Divinity OS. Will probably get it, but know that it's Baldur's Gate in name only.
No, you clearly didn't follow the presentation. You can bang an half-elf divine spellcaster. That's the core of the BG games.

So? In divinity you can bang a skeleton-dude. Also, unfortunately, in BG there are no half-elf romances, only pure elves, or human.
Jaheira: half-elf
Viconia: drow (a particular subrace of elves)
Aerie: avariel (a particular subrace of elves)

What games have you played?

so you would have come out as an incel right on a huge world wide live stream and asked if you could fuck a video game character? Is that what you are saying?
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/joke

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/joke

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
People like unbalanced games because they get to steamroll through the encounters and that makes them feel smart. While the reality is something completely different.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Larian should hire Beamdog as consultants, they've got plenty of experience on milking Baldur's Gate.

Quillon

Arcane
If only you had played 1 roguelike (let's say ToME) in your entire life

Life is short :P I'm only interested in fully fledged RPGs and something not present in those(apparently ever) is not a concern for me or for any fully fledged RPG...like BG3.

Curratum

Let me outline the issue here. You want to play the D&D you know and love from the late 90s and early 2000s, perhaps from even further back.

This D&D is gone. You will never get that D&D back in computer form. Even Kingmaker is not that thing, regardless of how much you may love it because of its fiddly bits and combat-heavy design.

The new D&D is indeed Critical Role. It's flashy, colorful and over the top, it's flamboyant. It's not dark, it's not gritty, it's not flavorful, it's not finely crafted or paid much attention to. It's a heavily branded, heavily corporate product that is intended to sell to as many living souls as possible. Back in the 80s TSR knew it was selling to nerds, they never made an effort to present the game in a way that would appeal to everyone.

At the moment, WotC, faggots like Critical Role and even Matt Colville who would seem amicable at first glance, and Larian are pushing for maximum exposure and maximum sales to everyone. Tabletop D&D has been extremely vocal about how it wants to make the game enjoyable for everyone, whether you're 8 or 80, a boy, a girl, a tranny or a socially disabled furry. As long as you have a wallet and can pay money, they want you to like the game.

Which is exactly why Baldur's Gate 3 is what it is - an overly colorful, bland, flavorless, visually overtweaked game of dandies wearing Renaissance-era doublets and retarded hairdos, instead of actual metal armor and dusty, tattered adventurer's clothing. The visual style of the game is 100% the style you see in 50-dollar retarded art commissions on D&D 5E's reddit where sexually confused young adults ask deviantart to draw their party of other equally confused companions.

This is what Baldur's Gate 3 is going to be and you will never get the D&D of your memories and dreams, ever again.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Tweet isn't loading for me. What does it say?

The Codex Tweeter account posted that Codex image of the codex troll choosing his dialogue options while talking to Swen.
Swen replies: Only 3 options?

There are no good balanced crpgs.

Of the top of my head I can think of Startrail and Dark Sun. Which are also one of the best cRPG's unlike any Baldur's Gate.

Last edited:

Turuko

Learned
Let me outline the issue here. You want to play the D&D you know and love from the late 90s and early 2000s, perhaps from even further back.

This D&D is gone. You will never get that D&D back in computer form. Even Kingmaker is not that thing, regardless of how much you may love it because of its fiddly bits and combat-heavy design.

The new D&D is indeed Critical Role. It's flashy, colorful and over the top, it's flamboyant. It's not dark, it's not gritty, it's not flavorful, it's not finely crafted or paid much attention to. It's a heavily branded, heavily corporate product that is intended to sell to as many living souls as possible. Back in the 80s TSR knew it was selling to nerds, they never made an effort to present the game in a way that would appeal to everyone.

At the moment, WotC, faggots like Critical Role and even Matt Colville who would seem amicable at first glance, and Larian are pushing for maximum exposure and maximum sales to everyone. Tabletop D&D has been extremely vocal about how it wants to make the game enjoyable for everyone, whether you're 8 or 80, a boy, a girl, a tranny or a socially disabled furry. As long as you have a wallet and can pay money, they want you to like the game.

Which is exactly why Baldur's Gate 3 is what it is - an overly colorful, bland, flavorless, visually overtweaked game of dandies wearing Renaissance-era doublets and retarded hairdos, instead of actual metal armor and dusty, tattered adventurer's clothing. The visual style of the game is 100% the style you see in 50-dollar retarded art commissions on D&D 5E's reddit where sexually confused young adults ask deviantart to draw their party of other equally confused companions.

This is what Baldur's Gate 3 is going to be and you will never get the D&D of your memories and dreams, ever again.
Tell'em!
Back in the day we would roll the dices uphill in the snow!

I agree btw

Reinhardt

Arcane
dusty, tattered adventurer's clothing.
Have you ever seen any high or just mid level mage in IE games?

The IE games have sprites the size of my thumb nail, you can't convey anything through an image of that size. In current year, you can do whatever you like, visually and stylistically, and they went for the worst option.
What about Imoen in PINK thief armor? Or any fighter in colored AND luminescent metal armors?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Meh, BG sprites convey all that they need to:

monk%2Bunarmed%2Bmaximum%2Bdamage.jpg

vorpal%2Bhit.jpg

assassin%2B21%2Bmage%2B24%2Biron%2Bfist%2Bbackstab.jpg

baldur%2527s%2Bgate%2Bmaximum%2Bmelee%2Bdamage.jpg

celestial%2Bfury%2Bkai%2Bcritical.jpg

Quillon

Arcane
Roguelikes are "full fledged RPGs" lol.

whatever, they are also Idontlikes, Cantbebothereds. If there is a faster and better TB system I'll play it when its implemented in game I'm interested in. It isn't relevant itt.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I'm belatedly watching the gameplay reveal. It's an epic fail. On account of the numerous hiccups, bugs, errors and so on, the game should flop. Also it doesn't seem like Swen knows how to play his own game.

I know that it's pre-Alpha but maybe I'll check again in 2023 or something.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's expected to have bugs in a pre-alpha, Swen said as much, especially in an RPG like BG3. I can't believe I'm defending Larian, but credit where credit's due. If someone doesn't like BG3 for some reason, you have Pathfinder to look forward to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom