Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

bussinrounds

Augur
This gonna make 100 pages in a day ?

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
70 pages in a day? that's very hard to catch on. Anyway, it doesn't seem to have anything to resemble Baldur's Gate so I don't know why did they bother with using it rather than having their own ip in FR. With that said, I'm really impressed with what I saw, I'm not that of a fan of BG anyway.
The writing doesn't seem to be that interesting but I really didn't care that much either, the gameplay really seem to be solid. Sneaking in D:OS wasn't that useful and I really like the new system. The dynamism and environmental interactions seem to also be a steup up from D:OS, and most importantly now we have a way better ruleset that's faithfully implemented. I may not be in the majority here but I really prefer the 3D environment with verticality, I think they add a lot to the gameplay.
As much as I hate Early Access but I will get into this day one :D, it could the most excited I have been for an upcoming game.

Hmmm--lets see..lets sum this up...

-70 pages, did not read...
-Its called BG, but does not seem to be anything like BG. That is okay, you don't like BG anyway...... are not a fan.
-Writing does not seem to be that Interesting.... Thats okay, you don't into writing that much anyway....

- Verticality.

-Go Zoomer Go.

:butthurt:

Well rather:

-No one plays BG for writing anyway
-Turn based > RTwp
-faithful implementation of DnD
-3D environment where much more could be done
-Shouldn't have been named BG3 but it's a majestic incline nonetheless

Last edited:

Curratum

The people anticipating majestic incline might want to consider that the game has critical crashes, no save system, massive AI issues and is "a couple of months away" from its early access launch.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
All masterpieces among the RPG genre are extremely unbalanced. Baldur's Gate 2? ... Diablo 1 and 2?

BG is hardly a masterpiece, and let's not even talk about Diablo.

Might & Magic VI? Your party composition will determine the game difficulty.

Good party building is an important aspect of any party based rpg. If a player decides to make a party solely composed of the same class the game should be fucking hard, to punish the idiot for not properly thinking about that aspect.

Beating DS2 as a Rapier of Chaos(or spearman) Hexer or a Black knight Halberd Paladin is far easier than with a unarmored swordsman without a shield.

Sure those migth be the strongest builds, but that doesn't mean the game is broken as all other builds are perfectely viable and the game still holds a fair amount of challenge even with those 2 builds.
I think you have a very Sawyer idea of balance.

On VtMB, there are no way to make the Nosferatu curse(being deformed and not being able to even be seen by kine without breaking the masquarede) and not make a highly social game exponentially harder than a Ventrue gameplay.

That's the whole fucking point of the Nosferatu class challenge.
It's not unbalanced as the devs knew that and provided the player with the means to complete game and even gave a lot of content and outcomes unique to the Nosferatu class.

All Gothic games(except arcania) have you going from nothing to one of the most powerful entities on the world.

Games with progression systems that doesn't give the players a sense of, get this, progression are obviously doing something wrong.

on the beginning, i din't even had magic, i had to find someone able and willing to teach me, spend some levels only on ancient knowledge and once i learned my first water magic spell, i could only cast 6 or 3 Ice Lances per rest(3 if charged). In end game? A image worth more than just words

The problem is not that the player gets powerful by using that playstyle, the problem is if the player gets so powerful that he triviallizes every challenge in the game (specially the late game ones) and even worse if that playstyle pretty much makes all others obsolete and useless.

Theldaran

Liturgist
The people anticipating majestic incline might want to consider that the game has critical crashes, no save system, massive AI issues and is "a couple of months away" from its early access launch.

I'm taking it into account. So:

- Early Access coming "sometime" 2020
- Possible release 2021
- Polishing the game... maybe 2022

I'm not saying I'm not ever gonna get it, I just say it'll take time if I finally do it, and right now the game is very, very barebones.

Oh, also I don't know about the "faithful representation of D&D"

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well rather:

-No one plays BG for writing anyway
-Turn based > RTwp
-faithful implementation of DnD
-3D environment where much more could be done
-Shouldn't have been named BG3 but it's a majestic incline nonetheless

Also skill checks and physical feats during exploration, skill checks in dialogue, hopefully non-linear maps, no retarded random itemization, positioning before combat, etc.

DraQ

Arcane
I never understood how RTWP got so popular from a P&P adaptation of all things. The devs just created extra work for themselves. P&P combat rules can be copied almost 1:1 in most CRPGs.
Baldur's Gate happened.
A company - let's call them VivoCargo, to protect the guilty - was trying to make a fantasy RTS (because RTSes were kind of THE thing back then) but changed direction completely for whatever reason and ended up making cRPG instead with already working RTS engine. The game ended up popular because there are only so many times you can play Fallout, besides it wasn't half ugly either. Then a few follow-up games happened on the same engine that pretty much happened to cover most of the spectrum of what people look for in RPGs - storyfaggotry, combatfaggotry, BG even managed to trick some unfortunate souls into thinking it has exploration.

And then RTWP was established as the golden standard and the way to make cRPGs(TM).

Same with Kingmaker. The devs could have copied the encounters directly from the AP if they had used TB combat, no need for so many trash fights.
But maaan...
:happytrollboy:
Barduls Gate!

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I think you have a very Sawyer idea of balance.

My point is simple. If i choose to play warthunder inside a Me 262, i wanna feel like i an piloting the place. I wanna historically accuracy on his speed, climb rate, weaponry(ie - the 4 x 30mm cannon should tear bombers apart in one burst). At the same way, if i choose to play a RPG as a necromancer, i wanna feel like i an a necromancer in another universe. HAving restrictions that makes no sense like cooldowns, limiting me to one or two summons, kill my immersion in the game.

I an playing Gothic 2 with returning addon as a necromancer. There are no hard cap on how many demons or undead i can summon but one summon takes a mana upkeep over time. Create and maintain a army of 60+ demons would destroy your gold saving in potions but is possible and i used against the most powerull dragons; And to learn how to summon even a lesser demon, you need to
  • Learn circle 1/2/3/4(minimum chap 4)
  • Learn mana regen
  • Learn demonology
  • Learn how to craft the rune
  • Find the ingredients (some like the heart of a demon require you to destroy demons)
  • Purchase a scroll
  • Craft the rune
  • Enjoy a spell that costs 150 mana and has a huge mana upkeep

the problem is if the player gets so powerful that he triviallizes every challenge in the game (specially the late game ones) and even worse if that playstyle pretty much makes all others obsolete and uselless.

Then is a problem of a lot of things. Encounter deisng, etc; IA, etc; HAving a paladin having a much easier time vs undeads than a sorcerer of silver draconic bloodline that know mostly cold based spells is not a problem.

Reinhardt

Arcane
At the same way, if i choose to play a RPG as a necromancer, i wanna feel like i an a necromancer in another universe. HAving restrictions that makes no sense like cooldowns, limiting me to one or two summons, kill my immersion in the game.
Except in first case you have technical details about plane and in second you just want to play imaginary necromancer from your head who can't even be possible in this "another universe".

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Create and maintain a army of 60+ demons would destroy your gold saving in potions but is possible and i used against the most powerull dragons

That would be meaningful if even a non-mage couldn't just buy summon demon/golem scrolls and use them to pwn dragons. You only need one scroll per dragon, and there are only 4 dragons.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Except in first case you have technical details about plane and in second you just want to play imaginary necromancer from your head who can't even be possible in this "another universe".

I have the fictional world lore. Is awful when NPC necromancers can raise armies and the PC is limited to one or two summons.

Have you all played BG and IWD knowing the D&D rules? Be honest.

No, but i learned the rules by playing it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
RPG Codex went full retard complaining about writing and graphics while ignoring the fact that this is the first DND game since ToEE that doesn't butcher DND's ruleset.,
You are right, though it's little consolation that you have correct D&D impementation when you are playing a by-the-numbers campaign, with the "larian humor", "Chosen One" story, etc.

Black

Arcane
You're right, Larian will never be capable of writing such masterpieces as Lilarcor, tranny Edwin or Jan Jansen.
And BGs definitely did not have an "average peasant boy/girl turns out to be a demigod". That's something only saint Bioware could come up with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom