Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Where did i mention Codexers?

They are ruining their franchises among their very customers.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah that's a shit TV spot. Why wouldn't they just roll with the game's composer, he's got some awesome stuff. And it's not really egregious, and I'm sure no one really gives a shit, but the words they chose there do not fit the series' themes much. "Defiance, Power, Courage" fall more into the traditional lexicon of heroism. Doomguy is more of the mindless aggro rip'n'tear variety. Annihilation. Decimation. Obliteration. You get the gist.

I disagree. OG Doomguy was a badass, but not the edgy kind. His motivations were always avenging his fallen comrades and protecting humanity from an imminent demonic invasion. I never liked the faceless edgelord shtick they ran with in 2016, and am very glad they went back to giving him more of a humanity's protector/champion vibe in Eternal.

That doesn't take anything away from just how horribly that TV spot misses the mark though.

Well, Doom Guy is a supernatural entity now. I don't know who comes up with this shit. Got stuck in hell and then they found him in a tomb where the possessed worshiped him, or something.

BTW, finished mission six. This one was pretty good actually i think i'll have to rank this above Doom 3 just because the combat is actually engaging even though if you are smart with your tools you can trivialize it. I still have flashbacks of trying to dodge fireballs from imps in Doom 3 and failing because the Doom Guy was as slow as molasses there.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
BTW, finished mission six. This one was pretty good actually i think i'll have to rank this above Doom 3 just because the combat is actually engaging even though if you are smart with your tools you can trivialize it.

That's something Hugo talked about in one of the recent interviews. He said that in Eternal you will constantly have to switch between your weapons. Whether that is actually how it is remains to be seen.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's like that in Doom 2016 as well. I mean, you don't have to, but it helps. You have that stun secondary attack for the plasma rifle which helps with those shielded guys and pinkies (freeze them up then hit them with the siege mode of the gauss cannon). You got the homing missiles add on for the assault rifle to get rid of imps or lost souls, you got the lock on secondary mode on the rocket launcher to soften up tough enemies and its actually good enough to bring the Summoner into glory kill position, thus trivializing the encounter with him (her?). And then of course super shotgun works on everything up close and it would be overpowered like it is in the original games if the level design wasn't so spacious, making the spread on long distances an effective handicap. Just got the chain gun no idea if it's worth it burning the assault rifle ammo for it (probably not). Ho, and that hologram thingy is actually pretty clever.

BTW, i can already see a problem once i get the BFG: ammo everywhere. I have a feeling once i get that it might make using everything else redundant. The over abundance of resources is an issue in most shooters i've played, so i just tend to ignore it at this point, but still. I know they design those games for retards but it would have been nice if they made resource management a thing at higher difficulty but nope.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
I finally decided to give this shit a spin (Doom 2016). I always rage quit at the caption at the very beginning for being SOOOO fucking try hard but this time i tried to push myself.
That said, now that i got used to the style of the arenas the game isn't actually as hard as i thought. Cleared the second map without dying once. You just need to keep tracks of the demons, which is easier now that i know what their moving and attack patterns are.
Well, i redid some fights to check out what the AI is actually doing, and i'll say it's actually pretty clever.
BTW, finished mission six. This one was pretty good actually i think i'll have to rank this above Doom 3 just because the combat is actually engaging even though if you are smart with your tools you can trivialize it.
At this rate Lyric Suite will start loving Doom 2016 soon.

Dayyālu

Arcane
At this rate Lyric Suite will start loving Doom 2016 soon.

When you realize that Doom 2016 is essentially The AAA Brutal Doom sequel and not a real Doom sequel you can accept it as a 6/10 - 7/10 game. The very essence of "Good for What It Is In the Current Year".

Also, after having suffered through several NuRetro FPS my mercy on Doom 2016 heightened. At least it ain't a quirky pixelart shooter.

And it's not Doom3.

I played worse. I finished Unreal 2 lmao

Unreal 2 is a fascinating case, one day I'll need to replay it and see what the fuck went wrong. I dimly remember some great enviromental and model art , some interesting weapon ideas, half-attempt at a plot but.... I don't remember the bad things so much. Shit AI?

Also U2 had an unreal amount of cheap tiddies. Your second-in-command that dressed like a sci-fi hooker but was apparently a genius tactician (and talked like your girl next door). Entire army of cloned female supersoldiers in exposed combat suits. Ahh, the early 2000ies.

Jezal_k23

Just got the chain gun no idea if it's worth it burning the assault rifle ammo for it (probably not).

My opinion on the chaingun is that it's kind of underwhelming by default but mobile turret is insane, for taking down cacos in particular.

sullynathan

Arcane
Chain gun was great especially with the 3 head upgrade. Machine gun with maxed rockets was also a great room clearer.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, turns out this whole upgrade thing was a lie. I killed the Cyberdemon and all my shit is basically nearly all upgraded. I guess by the end i'll have everything at max sort of disappointed, but i guess i should have figured there was no actual character development, but i suppose in practical terms it doesn't matter since a lot of those weapon upgrades are no longer all that useful past a certain point so i suppose one can still opt for a different "path" in a replay.

As i predicted, there's tons of ammo for the BFG, so i decided not to use it altogether which made the last room before the Cyberdemon pretty great.

Cyberdemon itself was pretty underwhelming by how easy he was, but it wasn't actually bad as far as FPS boss fights go, which is not saying much though considering they are mostly kinda shit. Some of it's attacks at least were interesting. I liked the laser shot where you have to to move around all over the place to avoid getting a lock.

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

Yes at around 2/3 through the game you're pretty much fully upgraded, but I gotta say I kinda expected this, since I never really thought a game like this would deliver RPG-level depth to your progression.

what difficulty are you playing on?

I can answer that for you:

Which difficulty level did you pick?

Nightmare. Ultra-nightmare is locked but since it's an iron man mode i wouldn't play it anyway.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao, the Rich Get Ritcher rune. The most broken shit i found so far. What a bad idea.

orcinator

Liturgist
Well, turns out this whole upgrade thing was a lie. I killed the Cyberdemon and all my shit is basically nearly all upgraded. I guess by the end i'll have everything at max sort of disappointed, but i guess i should have figured there was no actual character development, but i suppose in practical terms it doesn't matter since a lot of those weapon upgrades are no longer all that useful past a certain point so i suppose one can still opt for a different "path" in a replay.

Best way to play is the arcade mode that unlocks all the upgrades from the start anyway.

JDR13

Arcane
I tried playing this, but got too annoyed to finish it. Perhaps the combat could be fun in a less retarded context, but as it is, the game feels like a waste of time. A lot of fights could just be completed by walking in circles, anyway, so I doubt the combat is really much good beyond letting you pretend that you're having fun. Too much of the game feels like fake shit.

I'm guessing you didn't play very far. You won't win many fights later in the game by just walking in circles.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao, the Rich Get Ritcher rune. The most broken shit i found so far. What a bad idea.

I thought the rune challenges were retarded in general. I don't like the way they take you out of the game so I ended up just skipping them.

Well, i'm an autistic completist.

Everything you get tends to make the game easier but so far this particular rune is the only thing i'd consider game breaking. You can literally stand in a corner with the turret chain gun going full blast and clear an entire room without any problem. I'm going to have to avoid using it or the next four levels i got will feel like i'm on autopilot.

Jezal_k23

It really is broken. It's pretty much a must-have rune, along with saving throw, on ultra-nightmare runs, for obvious reasons.

JDR13

Arcane
Fights are mostly just noisy clusterfucks at best, with the only real threat being off-screen attacks that can't be noticed because of shit audio, and movement still feels too limited to actually allow you to react to anything, so I'd always just end up running in circles. People made it seem like you'd be doing backflips over demons' heads or something, but it's actually a lot more banal than that.

Compared to what? How many other FPS can you name that have similarly fast combat and require you to use space in such a way to avoid getting killed? Most shooters nowadays just have you firing from cover half the time.

JDR13

Arcane
So you can climb onto some platforms in this game. But aside from that, jumping is mostly useless when it comes to actual direct combat, and the arenas aren't any more vertical than the originals' levels. Sure, there was no vertical aiming, but as far as movement goes, the new Doom doesn't actually do much of interest, and it still has the slow walking speed and confined rooms typical of console shooters. It's not as bad as it may be in other games, but that's still what it is. The combat is just about running around and pressing Awesome Buttons. That's not to say it's necessarily easy, but it's stupid and unfun. They seemed to care more about giving the player the illusion of doing cool things instead of making a game that's actually good. It's all just fake-edgy pandering.

19e.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom