Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
  • Again, this might be a Wizards/DnD issue but why does a melee fighter (Shadowheart) have a super long range attack? What the fuck is going on there? What did I miss?

She's a cleric. The long range attack is a spell called guiding bolt.

Yeah, I pieced that together afterwards but (and I'm not being annoying here), most cleric spells as I recall were not that long range. That seems like a long ass ranged spell for a low level cleric. But maybe this is just me being an old fuddy duddy.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
lighting the GOD DAMN BOW on FIRE when firing a flaming ARROW is RETARDED

this is the most retarded complaint in the whole thread. like really. Codex loves to throw abstraction blah blah blah dice rolls blah blah blah saves blah blah blah and then complain about simple "lightning bow" in the fire as an abstraction of using the fire on your arrows.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm going to give you a serious answer. No battle plan survives the first contact with the enemy, and one of the side effects of real-time is that your party is almost never perfectly positioned. Therefore you have to rely on your wits to adjust movement and positioning based on the fly as the enemy is doing his thing. In BG1 your game wasn't paused when you were in inventory, which meant that quick slots had real tactical meaning. You could still quaff your potions but that came with a risk.

The biggest advatange is the ability to interrupt spells with your archers. Turn-based has interrups or reaction fire, but they cannot simulate the urgency factor of moving Kivan on range and expertly shooting the enemy mage while he's casting Lightning Bolt. You can even make sure he has the time to shoot, by making him wait beforehand. On that note, in RTwP you can dodge Fireballs, again if you are aware.

Whereas traditional turn-based is more ponderous with all the advantages that come with it, RTwP is more hectic, while still having the pause to preserve that nervecracing moment as the fireball is about to hit you and you realize it's all over. I think good turn-based is proably easier to make, but that doesn't mean that it's automatically better. Hell, over the years we've seen games of both type fail at delivering what was expected.
RTwP is reactive. TB is proactive, you have to live with the consequences. In RTwP nothing really matters all that much because you can immediately move. RTwP is like Dark Souls, people confused it for difficulty/complexity, but it's simply reacting to what is shown on-screen. Being able to move whenever is not a virtue, it's an indictment.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

this is the most retarded complaint in the whole thread. like really. Codex loves to throw abstraction blah blah blah dice rolls blah blah blah saves blah blah blah and then complain about simple "lightning bow" in the fire as an abstraction of using the fire on your arrows.

LEVEL 1 CHARACTER HERE BOIS

sDkmgF1.png

acceptable abstraction of a character satisfying his own thirst

QlFRDsh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaivokz

Arcane
RTwP is reactive. TB is proactive, you have to live with the consequences. In RTwP nothing really matters all that much because you can immediately move. RTwP is like Dark Souls, it's not skillful, it's just reactive.
Thal gave you an example of a proactive decision you can make in RTwP. You can position your archer and have him hold so that he is ready to interrupt the enemy mage's spell—if the mage does something different, you have to live with the consequences of moving your archer where you did. Both games are a mix of proactive and reactive...

It is a bit ridiculous to say nothing really matters in RTwP because you can just move... if that was the case no one should ever die because everyone would "just move" out of the way.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Lighting the entire bow on fire is retarded, they could just as easily limited it to the arrow or the tip of the arrow.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Yeah, I pieced that together afterwards but (and I'm not being annoying here), most cleric spells as I recall were not that long range. That seems like a long ass ranged spell for a low level cleric. But maybe this is just me being an old fuddy duddy.
I mean, technically, Clerics in BG1 had the Magical Stone spell. It wasn't good or useful, but it was there as a ranged damage option.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist

jungl

Augur
So I briefly looked over 5e DnD and it seems its actually better support RT then turn based then 3.5.

Why? Because stats are capped so you don't have mid and late game encounters with martials one shotting stuff or AC bloat where encounters turn into miss fest. 5e real time arguably would of been more fun combat for pathfinder kingmaker.

Shadenuat

Arcane
for the love of god just add a skip animations toggle to the turn based game

both jrpgs and blobbers have been doing it for ten thousand years
b but jrpgs are anime degeneracy. even though unlike western games they have been continuing traditions of tb combat, tb tactics, and even blobbers (!), they're bad and there's nothing one could learn from them. r right? (holds his cinematic dialogue waifu)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom