Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
based belgians delivering turn-based incline:smug:

Obshitian had their chance on making bg3 and they fucked up so badly that even their hardcore fans and IE nostalgiafags did not buy the sequel.

Is that really all it takes for you people to call something incline? Can one of the people calling this shit incline give a single good reason other than "it's turn based and I like turn based :retarded:"

Its not rtwp and rtwp is almost universally shit?:roll:
Like 80% of time you spent fighting trash mob where all you do is select all your team and auto-attack. The high points of IE games were encounters with mages/high level magic monsters and it was not due to rtwp but faithful adaptation of AD&D magic system. So far BG3 seems to follow 5ed rules quite faithfully. There is hope that Larian will go with more handcrafted encounters cause i sure as fuck cant imagine fighting through xvarts village from bg1 in turn based game.

So that's a no then. I thought this was a site full of monocled patricians with scrutinizing tastes. Not a bunch of hype machine retards who get super excited just because something is turn based. Even if I was super into turn based games everything else about this seems like shit.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
As usual the codex is going to fixate on irrelevant shite like UI, inventory, party size, "itemization" etc ignoring real problems like mechanical depth, writing and setting. Buncha chumps you are. No wonder games are utterly shite.
UP YOURS ASSHOLE!

UI is what defines RPGs the beauty, the clicking sounds, uhhh it feels so good, how dare you insult it

Kaivokz

Arcane
Go back and play trails of sky on easy for the story and world building and keep your degeneracy away from traditional PC gaming.
Not my fault "traditional PC gaming" can only muster one half-decent turn-based RPG per decade. Also, why so butthurt?
That's because traditional PC gaming was neutered by "accessible" game design.

What styles of RPG are most popular?
1. Action "RPG" (skyrim, zelda)
2. JRPG (dragon quest, final fantasy)
3. Overhead TB (fire emblem, battle brothers, D:OS, banner saga, etc.)
4. Phase Based (wizardry clones) / RTwP (PoE/PF:KM), I don't know which is less popular

There's a small gap between 2 and 3 and a large gap between 1 and 2 and between 3 and 4.

Popularity is inversely correlated to tactical complexity (assuming similar quality of encounter design, character customization, etc.). Not surprising that Larian went with overhead TB + 3D graphics + rotatable camera + MMO GFX, but it's like saying you're making Wizardry 10 and spitting out a Skyrim clone.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So that's a no then. I thought this was a site full of monocled patricians with scrutinizing tastes. Not a bunch of hype machine retards who get super excited just because something is turn based. Even if I was super into turn based games everything else about this seems like shit.
It's not only because it's turn-based, that's a massive strawman.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

Wait so you're telling me people actually like 5e, the shitty dialogue, and the ugly ui? I'm asking what else is good about this other than tb and the only answer I got was someone bitching about how awful rtwp is

Incantatar

Cipher
I unironically would like to play that. Believe it or not, that's how original D&D (up to AD&D 2nd Edition) was supposed to be played. People who believe Old Skool D&D is turn-based as seen in videogames are wrong. D&D comes from wargaming, where the players announce what the units will do, then the referee decides the order and how things will play out. Videogame turns were an inversion of a rule system that yet (almost) nobody has adapted to a videogame: actions are declared first, then initiative is resolved but actions are supposed to be happening all at the same time; character don't take turns waiting for each other, that's just silly and makes no sense. But the videogame style has become so popular, that now nobody uses the original one. Back then, some initiative systems were simple (roll 1d6 for team initiative and a fixed order for different types of actions: ranged weapons > melee > movement > spells) but some were quite complex, like AD&D 2nd edition which, with individual initiative and all optional rules (weapon and spell speeds) could feel like BG with spell interruptions and two archers simultaneously killing one another. What it means is that you knew what your character wanted to do, but you were never 100% sure in what order things would happen.

For example, the things you said are problems with RTwP:

Your party will fire spells into your line, use AOEs incorrectly, waste healing using it too early or too late, they won't react to flanking or being flat-footed correctly etc.

Were all features of the original p&p D&D to simulate the uncertainty and chaos of combat. I recently watched a video by one of the original D&D creators (Tim Kask) and what you say about AOEs happened in one of the first playtesting sessions: the warriors declared they were going to charge into the room and the mage said he would cast a fireball, not realizing those things would happen in the same round. So, movement (which is faster) was resolved first, then the mage cast the fireball (a slower action resolved at the end of the round) when the players were already inside, and one of them died.

I really found it hard to DM that way. After the players announce their shit, how are you not supposed to metagame as a DM now? I rolled the dice for different NPC actions but that is pretty annoying imo. Secondly shit happening at the same time sounds great but my experience is it doesn't work great in play. I tried it several times and had to abandon it. PCs and NPCs need to react to another else you have people running chaotically in different directions and failing their actions.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

No.. it's also because it's... AAA?

No, really, what else does this have going for it?
If it's about it being a D&D game, both Solasta and Realms Beyond seem like much better options and on top of that even look closer to what I'd expect from a D&D game.

Harthwain

Magister
Oh, Swen definitely has balls of steel to go TB, not only because of the RTwP expectation but also due to AAA expectations. I can't stress enough how cringe the chat during the stream was. I kinda felt a bit of uncertainty in Swen's voice, as if he wasn't sure how the audience would react to the TB announcement. Maybe he was the one who leaked the game before that to minimize the blow, lolool.
I am impressed with him showing off how challenging the game is by failing the first combat and then losing a party member on the second one, and to a critical hit no less (I might be misremembering, but I think she was at full health or very high on health when she got one-hit killed).

He's just talking shit. The whole complaining about turn-based versus real-time with pause without going into details of any particular system is utterly pointless.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Ah, another RPG plot where time is of the essence but there will be no time limit.

Frankly, curses seem like an overused plot hook in fantasy RPGs. :\
As far as this goes, there is the 1% fabulously optimistic option that you simply don't find a cure, and you transform into an Illithid.

You're probably right. That would be too cool, and definitely ahead of its time, so - yeah - curse hook. *sigh*
I dont know why they dont let you start as an Ilithid already, you know, that origin story of the gay, elf, vampire spawn, three very good reasons why a full Ilithid transformation would solve all his problems.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
TB fanatics are just like sjws,a small vocal minority that tries to force everyone else in to their degenerate religion. It will be fun if the game flops.

Lilura you forget that grogs are old people,and with old people they die out and get replaced by a new generation of grogs. The grogs that snobbed over crpgs are long gone and forgotten

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
No.. it's also because it's... AAA?

No, really, what else does this have going for it?
If it's about it being a D&D game, both Solasta and Realms Beyond seem like much better options and on top of that even look closer to what I'd expect from a D&D game.
Wait so you're telling me people actually like 5e, the shitty dialogue, and the ugly ui? I'm asking what else is good about this other than tb and the only answer I got was someone bitching about how awful rtwp is
Also skill checks and physical feats during exploration, skill checks in dialogue, hopefully non-linear maps, no retarded random itemization, positioning before combat, etc.

We also haven't seen what the maps are going to be like, I expect them to be big and ripe for exploration. And yes, people like 5E, it's the most popular edition. It's not the best in terms of mechanics, but it's better than most homebrew systems we get in RPGs lately. That 5E base removes a lot of garbage from Larian's combat, like armor and random items. Yes, the writing will be shit, this is Larian, but most sane people learn to ignore that after a while. It's possible that it is SO bad that it puts you off the game entirely, there have been such cases, but it's relatively rare.

TB fanatics are just like sjws,a small vocal minority that tries to force everyone else in to their degenerate religion. It will be fun if the game flops.

I don't know what rock you've been living under, but TB is way more popular than RTwP. And what is not popular is not necessarily better.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
We also haven't seen what the maps are going to be like, I expect them to be big and ripe for exploration. And yes, people like 5E, it's the most popular edition. It's not the best in terms of mechanics, but it's better than most homebrew systems we get in RPGs lately.

So 5e is decline but since other recent systems suck more it's incline

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Actually why does Initiative works in different manner? Isn't every creature having different Initiative the whole point? They messed up it in DOS2 now again?
Yeah that's the only thing that really bugged me. I don't get why they went for team initiative. I don't even get how could that be better even for multiplayer. Who plays first from the team? Is there an internal initiative roll if you are in multiplayer?
By the way according to another interview I watched, when in multiplayer, turns can be done simultaneously.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't know what rock you've been living under, but TB is way more popular than RTwP. And what is not popular is not necessarily better.
Sure thing mate,delude yourself that. But to be honest here,both of those are pretty irrelevant compared to popularity of third person and first person rpgs.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
TB fanatics are just like sjws,a small vocal minority that tries to force everyone else in to their degenerate religion.

If RTwP proponents had more sense, they'd throw 7.62 High Calibre in the face of the TB elitist. But then the TB elitist would counter with JA2 and Silent Storm, silencing them forever.

Lilura you forget that grogs are old people,and with old people they die out and get replaced by a new generation of grogs. The grogs that snobbed over crpgs are long gone and forgotten

Long gone, but not forgotten. Else I wouldn't have remembered their charms.

But since they're gone, who are the elite, the annointed ones now?

This should be good.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
No, 5E is a good enough base. It doesn't suck.

5e is a decent enough system if you don't mind a few glaring design issues and the fact that some classes/feats/whatever were obviously playtested by people with no comprehension of what makes combat fun.

Like champion fighters. Who in the hell thought of that? Best get your best RP face on and get ready to do the same thing over and over again. You're practically a npc at that point.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

You know what I'd like to see? If all the "It's current year! Learn to like all new games!" newfag shitbrains like yourself would fuck off the codex. Well, that would be a glorious day.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
No, 5E is a good enough base. It doesn't suck.

But it's worse than 3.5 and AD&D, right? Isn't that the definition of decline? Being worse than what came before it? I'm not trying to be a pedantic asshole. I'm honestly asking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom