Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

toroks

Educated
Looks like a good D&D game. Seems like Wizards have done a good job convincing Larian to keep close to the D&D ruleset (earlier interviews suggested they would even ditch miss-rolls). The game looks to be very different from Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 though. Pathfinder Kingmaker (and the coming Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous) are much more similar to BG1/BG2 in gameplay, and so in many ways the real successors to the series.

Ent

Savant
There is some hilarious stuff in 5e like Hexblade/Paladins that basically use cha for everything.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
Catching up to the reveal. Artstyle and graphics are on point, TB over RTWP is huge incline, and there's no obvious red flags that I can see.

:d1p:
Hyperbole aside, I think it's the writing and reused D:OS2 assets that have people wigging out, at the core. Though at least the latter might be excused as temporary.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Let's get real, no Codexer really knows whether 5E (or for that matter 4E) are really "inferior" because they've never played a CRPG that used those systems (with the exception of those few who played the Solasta demo which is no longer available). Everybody's just going off what they've heard from tabletop nerds, but since when did we give a fuck about them?
I read PnP material with frequency and 5e is just DnD for casual RPG players, 3.5 e is still the best DnD got. The only quality is has is that it is better than 4e.

Some of the ideas regarding monster design are pretty good in 4e though. Overall the system is a complete disaster though.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Let's get real, no Codexer really knows whether 5E (or for that matter 4E) are really "inferior" because they've never played a CRPG that used those systems (with the exception of those few who played the Solasta demo which is no longer available). Everybody's just going off what they've heard from tabletop nerds, but since when did we give a fuck about them?

I think it's neat that people still pen and paper it up in 2020, but they have to understand they're like 1% of the audience, if that. They never will though, just like Codexers in general will never understand we're 1% of the audience for Skyrim.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
There is some hilarious stuff in 5e like Hexblade/Paladins that basically use cha for everything.

If you think that's hilarious, wait until you find out that elven warlock-sorcerers have essentially infinite spell slots (coffeelocks).

Fairfax

Arcane
I am impressed with him showing off how challenging the game is by failing the first combat and then losing a party member on the second one, and to a critical hit no less (I might be misremembering, but I think she was at full health or very high on health when she got one-hit killed).
She fell to 0hp with a normal hit, failed a death save, was hit while downed (another failure), then failed the least save at the start of the next turn. Larian's implementation of death mechanics is actually more forgiving than 5E rules (which aren't particularly lethal in the first place). In 5E, any successful melee attack (if the creature is within 5 feet of the target) against an unconscious character is a critical hit and gives 2 death save failures. (Both companions would've died early in the encounter with those rules.) Larian also made it more forgiving by allowing characters to use potions as a bonus action, among other things.

Last edited:

Saerain

Augur
Patron

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The lack of variety and depth makes it boring in the long run though, regardless of whether you are a munchkin or not.
I agree, the scarcity of build options is my biggest criticism of it, but realistically how many times are you going to play through BG3? You have 8 classes to start with (they said they'll reveal more later) and if it's a 100+ hour RPG you have quite a lot of playtime on your hands.

She fell to 0hp with a normal hit, failed a death save, was hit while downed (another failure), then failed the least save at the start of the next turn. Larian's implementation of death mechanics is actually more forgiving than 5E rules (which aren't particularly lethal in the first place). In 5E, any successful attack against an unconscious character is a critical hit and gives 2 death save failures. (Both companions would've died early in the encounter with those rules.) Larian also made it more forgiving by allowing characters to use potions as a bonus action, among other things.

But the encounters seem more deadly. 5E encounters are usually only a minor threat to your characters, even those which are classified as highly dangerous. There might also be a "core rules" difficulty option, which removes potions as bonus actions and restores PnP death mechanics.

Reinhardt

Arcane
third person and first person rpgs.
No such things exist.
I... can't say I've ever seen a second-person one, but it's interesting to try thinking about.
Rpgs are party based.
And they're often fantasy-themed but these things are irrelevant. Party-based can be first- or third-person, and always is one or the other.
You are playing as party, not as "person"

Ent

Savant

If you think that's hilarious, wait until you find out that elven warlock-sorcerers have essentially infinite spell slots (coffeelocks).
Oh shit I forgot you could use sorcerer spells in the warlocks short rest slots.

Elex

Arbiter
5e is a decent enough system if you don't mind a few glaring design issues and the fact that some classes/feats/whatever were obviously playtested by people with no comprehension of what makes combat fun.

Like champion fighters. Who in the hell thought of that? Best get your best RP face on and get ready to do the same thing over and over again. You're practically a npc at that point.
Champion is the tutorial character for people that never played an rpg.
Also really good for multiclassing (for example with a barbarian or a warlock hexblade).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
third person and first person rpgs.
No such things exist.
I... can't say I've ever seen a second-person one, but it's interesting to try thinking about.
Rpgs are party based.
And they're often fantasy-themed but these things are irrelevant. Party-based can be first- or third-person, and always is one or the other.
You are playing as party, not as "person"
But the blob is a single entity! As a kid i was always wondering how those party based things looked from the opposite site. I imagined to be a big blob of flesh with 8 hands,feet and eyes.

Tytus

Arcane
3qouak.jpg

hw12i4xskpj41.png

qi4tj092mhj41.png

Black

Arcane
Warlocks are cool in tabletop, I haven't seen a D&D video games where warlocks are anything but "I cast Eldritch Blast repeatedly".

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
5e is a decent enough system if you don't mind a few glaring design issues and the fact that some classes/feats/whatever were obviously playtested by people with no comprehension of what makes combat fun.

Like champion fighters. Who in the hell thought of that? Best get your best RP face on and get ready to do the same thing over and over again. You're practically a npc at that point.
Champion is the tutorial character for people that never played an rpg.
Also really good for multiclassing (for example with a barbarian or a warlock hexblade).
Champion is perhaps the worst class in the game. It's lame, it's boring, it's static and has almost nothing going for it.

Thal

Augur
one of the side effects of real-time is that your party is almost never perfectly positioned. Therefore you have to rely on your wits to adjust movement and positioning on the fly as the enemy is doing his thing
Oh yes, it was so much fun in the Firewine dungeon.

Sure as hell was, having my invisible thief scout ahead removing all traps. Then advancing with Kagain wearing Gauntlets of Dexterity on point followed by an archer who one shot those kobolds. Did you just barge in?

Firewine and Ulcaster school ruins are supposed to be dangerous. The fact that they were designed to challenge the player first and foremost by exploration and area design is to be commended. Your combat tactics have to be completely different than outdoors and respawning enemes make sure that once you go in you don't have a safe way out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom