Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ent

Savant
Are Warlocks cool? Want to try casters that are not druids, but dislike everything about wizards , mostly their style and lack of theme.
The patrons that the warlocks receive power from make them more flavorful than a wizard. They are good ranged damage dealers/controllers with some bonuses based on the patrons. If they add in the hexblade patron (which seems guaranteed due to the popularity of it) they can be good gishes as well.

Harthwain

Magister
The reduced power creep also makes it very easy for GMs to design encounters as even a pack of goblins can be dangerous to relatively high level characters.
That actually sounds good. I never liked the idea of trash mobs or "safe combat" in general (although that probably doesn't mix too well if you design a game that's basically all about tactical combat, but that's problem with the design of most cRPGs).

You can't have interesting enemies, good bosses, not brain-damaged AI, in RTwP.
Truth to be told - it's not like turn-based automatically makes AI enemies not brain-damaged.

It's actually terrible in a real time tactical game with movement and positioning.
In Frozen Synapse I've ended most of the time just giving movement and attack orders for max 2s ahead that were reasonably predictable, and was waiting out remaining 3s of 5s phase in some safe "overwatch" position.
It was possible to predict more than 2 seconds. The key was in designing your own plan first and then checking majority of possible permutations on the opponent's side. I had a lot of fun making foolproof plans that way, while also being very active on my own turns.

I am impressed with him showing off how challenging the game is by failing the first combat and then losing a party member on the second one, and to a critical hit no less (I might be misremembering, but I think she was at full health or very high on health when she got one-hit killed).
She fell to 0hp with a normal hit, failed a death save, was hit while downed (another failure), then failed the least save at the start of the next turn. Larian's implementation of death mechanics is actually more forgiving than 5E rules (which aren't particularly lethal in the first place). In 5E, any successful attack against an unconscious character is a critical hit and gives 2 death save failures. (Both companions would've died early in the encounter with those rules.) Larian also made it more forgiving by allowing characters to use potions as a bonus action, among other things.
Sorry, I am not used to "you don't die when you have no health in combat". I meant this...:

...moment when she gets one-hit downed, then killed while she lies down. It's pretty brutal result overall.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The lack of variety and depth makes it boring in the long run though, regardless of whether you are a munchkin or not.
I agree, the scarcity of build options is my biggest criticism of it, but realistically how many times are you going to play through BG3? You have 8 classes to start with (they said they'll reveal more later) and if it's a 100+ hour RPG you have quite a lot of playtime on your hands.

She fell to 0hp with a normal hit, failed a death save, was hit while downed (another failure), then failed the least save at the start of the next turn. Larian's implementation of death mechanics is actually more forgiving than 5E rules (which aren't particularly lethal in the first place). In 5E, any successful attack against an unconscious character is a critical hit and gives 2 death save failures. (Both companions would've died early in the encounter with those rules.) Larian also made it more forgiving by allowing characters to use potions as a bonus action, among other things.

But the encounters seem more deadly. 5E encounters are usually only a minor threat to your characters, even those which are classified as highly dangerous. There might also be a "core rules" difficulty option, which removes potions as bonus actions and restores PnP death mechanics.

I meant in the context of PnP. You go through the same amount of material in a day in a computer game that you do in years of PnP gaming.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I imagined to be a big blob of flesh with 8 hands,feet and eyes.
Only pleb plays blobbers where there is only 4 person party.
:obviously: Begone troll!
hqdefault.jpg

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Let's get real, no Codexer really knows whether 5E (or for that matter 4E) are really "inferior" because they've never played a CRPG that used those systems (with the exception of those few who played the Solasta demo which is no longer available). Everybody's just going off what they've heard from tabletop nerds, but since when did we give a fuck about them?
I read PnP material with frequency and 5e is just DnD for casual RPG players, 3.5 e is still the best DnD got. The only quality is has is that it is better than 4e.
3.5e is complete and utter shit compared to AD&D.

Fairfax

Arcane
But the encounters seem more deadly. 5E encounters are usually only a minor threat to your characters, even those which are classified as highly dangerous.
That's not true. Have you even played it? 5E encounters are only a minor threat if that's what the DM wants. And even WotC has published modules that are filled with deadly encounters.

Sorry, I am not used to "you don't die when you have no health in combat". I meant this...:

...moment when she gets one-hit downed, then killed while she lies down. It's pretty brutal result overall.

Yeah, I was referring to that moment.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Does it have feats and skills or does your class fully determine your abilities ?

There are some feats, but like multiclassing it's an optional rule. At levels where you are supposed to gain an attribute, you can opt to get a feat instead. They aren't that many and they aren't as deciding as 3.5E.

Elex

Arbiter
Potion as a bonus action is a common house rule (i think that critical role use the same rule).

And is fine, it’s common in a 5e game to have a lot of houserules, the game is easy to adapt.

only the initiative make no sense.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That's not true. Have you even played it? 5E encounters are only a minor threat if that's what the DM wants. And even WotC has published modules that are filled with deadly encounters.
I mean the way they are classified in the books in relation to the characters. Monsters are quite a lot weaker than the characters. You can make them deadly, sure, but most out-of-the-box encounters aren't. I've seen people defeating 3x deadly encounters at the same time.

Elex

Arbiter
5e is a decent enough system if you don't mind a few glaring design issues and the fact that some classes/feats/whatever were obviously playtested by people with no comprehension of what makes combat fun.

Like champion fighters. Who in the hell thought of that? Best get your best RP face on and get ready to do the same thing over and over again. You're practically a npc at that point.
Champion is the tutorial character for people that never played an rpg.
Also really good for multiclassing (for example with a barbarian or a warlock hexblade).
Champion is perhaps the worst class in the game. It's lame, it's boring, it's static and has almost nothing going for it.
They are exactly like 2e a fighter.

the banneret is the worst fighter subclass.

Elex

Arbiter
But the encounters seem more deadly. 5E encounters are usually only a minor threat to your characters, even those which are classified as highly dangerous.

Yeah, I was referring to that moment.

Yes official campaign are extremely deadly.

for example in baldur’s gate: descent into avernus the party is getting fireballed at level 2.

DraQ

Arcane
It is not about TB and RTwP,despite what TB fanatics are spewing.
You know who is spewing the most shit about TB ITT?
You.
Shut the fuck up already.

Any deviations from the traditions of old should be eradicated with fire!!!
Yes, let's never ever improve upon anything.

fanatical (...) should be burned till nothing but ashes remain. It is not a boogyman but a scum that beat the shit with a big piece of wood or a nice iron pipe!
:avatard:
This is true, but BG storyline is done and the company that made it is long gone so there couldn't ever be a "real" sequel. Baldur's Gate is just a recognizable name in D&D CRPGs. They could have called it Pools of Radiance instead for all it matters.
Pools of Butthurt, more like.

*dips weapon in RTWPtards' tears*

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
If you think that's hilarious, wait until you find out that elven warlock-sorcerers have essentially infinite spell slots (coffeelocks).
Spontaneous arcane casters are generally OP in CRPGs even without such munchkin multicallssing options. In the CRPG context many D&D spells are inevitably situational or outright useless, so the spell selection limits aren't as limiting as trey're supposed to be.

Sorcerer was the strongest single-class character in BG2. In the 3e/3.5e days (NWN, NWN2, etc.) everyone was obsessed with Dragon Disciple. In PF:KM any sorc with the Heighten Spell feat is bonkers (at L10+ it's practically impossible to run out of spell slots).

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Spontaneous arcane casters are generally OP in CRPGs even without such munchkin multicallssing options

Wizards are far more versatile than sorcerers/warlocks...

And in some games, be a mage is far harder than be a martial guy. See Gothic 1/2 for eg...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom