Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Delterius

Arcane
sfoRJew.png

Is there any pictures or videos of this Black Hound project?

The only known screenshot of The Black Hound:

112.jpeg

https://www.unseen64.net/2020/01/19/baldursgate3-black-hound-cancelled/
reminds me of the cemetery in the beginning of nwn2 oc

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

rhollis

Educated
Patron
Can anyone explain to me (a) how a modder has the manpower to add TB to Pathfinder: Kingmaker, (b) how Owlcat has the manpower to add TB as an on-the-fly toggle for WotR, and (c) how Obsidian has the manpower to add a fully-fledged TB mode to Deadfire, but Larian can’t leverage its 350-person team to balance a RTwP version?

Separately, can any of the Swen apologists explain to me how players will be able to experiment with diverse party builds in a four-person party system and why it makes sense from a gameplay perspective to limit the party to four in 5e?

Curratum

Wait, so walk me through this again, because I don't feel like watching all the gameplay again.

How does initiative work? All your dudes roll as a group and all your dudes go either before or after the enemies?

Curratum

Separately, can any of the Swen apologists explain to me how players will be able to experiment with diverse party builds in a four-person party system and why it makes sense from a gameplay perspective to limit the party to four in 5e?

I'm not a Swen apologist, I can't stand BG3's guts from what I've seen so far, but 4 is the actual, real "default" and presumed party size in the tabletop modules / campaigns for 5E, so that is why.

Shadenuat

Arcane

rhollis

Educated
Patron

I'm not a Swen apologist, I can't stand BG3's guts from what I've seen so far, but 4 is the actual, real "default" and presumed party size in the tabletop modules / campaigns for 5E, so that is why.

I get that from a PnP purity perspective, but I’m more concerned about gameplay here. I’m hoping someone can offer reassurance that we won’t need to pick tank, thief, healer and spellslinger to be effective in combat. For me, a huge part of any good CRPG is experimenting with team composition and cool class combos.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

gosh. Gosh! GOSH!!

Check it out boys and girls it is a Dungeons and Dragon's game ffs these alerts brb okay it is just people responding to this thread so nothing important.

okay what I was typing is that well lots of good points okay? I do not like the conversation dialog approach and watching it I thought it was character defining moment of one's past when well wherever you are before the game starts and it was working to define your character story and background or something butg it looks like it that will stay as it is with everything being between * and ending in * like I guess we are thinking to ourselves and rolling our eyes around and looking to the distance wheen we start to respond to what someone said and they just have to wait for us to respond while we thinkg to ourselves about what it is we are thinking right? Well I do not like it okay? OKAY!? So what happens too when you have a scene making love to another member in your party and you are a man does the tadpole get released with all the other tadpoles or something likt that right? Oh and I rfead som e history too and if I play a Dwarf, a Gnome or a Halfling or whatever other races they introduce that cannot be given a tadpole do I avoid being tadpoled right because the tentacle creature has certain races they will not waste a tadpole on so what about that?

okay. Okay. OKAY! Questions to be answered when the game comes out but the graphics could use some getting muddy or being dirty it is very clean looking so overly polished but I hope that changes to be more gritty looking and the combat is not an issue coming from an Ultima family okay? I hope that is okay here to say but oh I do not want to see oil barrels scattered about in a field of corn or something to use for some gimmick to spill and set on fire or turn to mist or turn to ice or turn into water or turn into rock or turn into air like wtf! What kind of farmer keeps barrels of that laying around for an encounter right? Siege of Dragonspear was the best offer out there that matches the feel and lore of previous Baldur's Gate games but I am waiting on that other game where that guy got fired for posting here and that Josh was going to make the Lich encounter okay? Okay!

Thanks,
Sherry

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
4 is the actual, real "default" and presumed party size in the tabletop modules / campaigns for 5E, so that is why.

Is this really true? It's not that I doubt you, but six party members is, of course, the traditional number, and often in OG D&D there were lots more, especially if you included retainers and/or henchmen.

Wow, how far D&D has slid into Shitsville. Makes me sad.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
4 is the actual, real "default" and presumed party size in the tabletop modules / campaigns for 5E, so that is why.

Is this really true? It's not that I doubt you, but six party members is, of course, the traditional number, and often in OG D&D there were lots more, especially if you include retainers.

Wow, how far D&D has slid into Shitsville. Makes me sad.

Yes, CR for example is calculated based on an average party size of four PCs of the same level. When this became the standard, I have no idea.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL so the D&D is the way BG should be played,no alignments,4 people party and dumbed down mechanics :lol:. Dumb TB fanatics would slurp any shit as long as it is TB,even if it is broken TB like DOS games. What a sad bunch of retards,muh it is turn based slurp slurp.

rhollis

Educated
Patron
"pg 83 of the DMG says that the ideal party size is 3-5 players"

That's all well and good for PnP where every player has their own character, but in a single-player campaign CRPG where much of the fun strategic decisions involve building an effective and interesting party, how can a 4-person cap be incline?

Also, as an aside to everyone celebrating TB only as incline and grognard, I hope you realize that the real reason it's preferred by Larian for BG3 is because it is much easier to control with a gamepad than RTwP. It's not about preserving PnP rules. They just want to make sure their eventual next gen console ports control well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom