Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Krzysiek

Learned

user

Savant
I think it's definitely the case that there will be no XP on the majority of these skill checks. Part of Disco Elysium dev's input ( Volrath ) when Larian asked them to consult, was making sure that a failed check doesn't feel like a penalty that would encourage save scumming. XP rewards for successful rolls would of course encourage save scumming.

At least DE skill checks had actual C&C by getting a clue earlier, being able to resolve stuff in a better way, getting legit information, which in the context of that dialog-based game mattered etc.

Pure flavor skill checks would be huge decline here.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Interview with Adam Smith, senior writer and former RPS guy. Larian's love for Disco Elysium:

After Kieron Gillen and Jim Rossignol left, Adam Smith was the only writer that made reading Rock Paper Shotgun worth the time, writing quality reviews without exception. (I no longer visit RPS.) If he's on the BG3 team, this is a Good Thing.

Obviously, it would be altogether optimistic to expect good writing from BG3 (writing-by-committee is never a good idea, and Larian has a dozen writers working on BG3 as if this is a good thing), but I trust he'll help mitigate the worst of it.

Thunar

Educated
Are you people seriously nitpicking over dice animations from an alpha version of a game? They've got hundreds of hours of play testing to change the speed and look of it, calm yourselves.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
"No, no, it just wasn't the right kind of RTwP!" - cope

(from what i can see, i have yet to play it).

Exactly.
It's a pointless argument at best.

I don't understand what people get out assuming the worst all the time. Games can have other merits than the one you're looking to be recreated with the exact same vibe, but nooooo that's being a Bioware cuck innit.

rhollis

Educated
Patron
Are you people seriously nitpicking over dice animations from an alpha version of a game? They've got hundreds of hours of play testing to change the speed and look of it, calm yourselves.

It likely wouldn't have happened but for this article posted earlier in the thread: https://www.pcgamer.com/i-love-that-baldurs-gate-3-makes-you-roll-a-die-for-big-decisions/

If PCG wrote an entire article on how great it is in it's current state, I think it merits response.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
rhollis even then a couple of seconds of ~added suspense~ (and highlighting) for important C&C isn't a bad thing; it worked well for DE and this is no way the final iteration

none of this is a final iteration but people are making judgements about the future of the genre and series based off this minor shit. it's inane.

Saravan

Savant
"No, no, it just wasn't the right kind of RTwP!" - cope

(from what i can see, i have yet to play it).

Exactly.
It's a pointless argument at best.

I don't understand what people get out assuming the worst all the time. Games can have other merits than the one you're looking to be recreated with the exact same vibe, but nooooo that's being a Bioware cuck innit.

They want the same game re-created indefinitely, using the same engine, same visual style, same core mechanics, etc. Such a boring way to approach games and kills any innovation in the genre.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Oh, how exciting. The first two times that happens. :roll:

It's like those "using the skill" icons in Wasteland 2. So fun, watching little icon filling up with color for 5 seconds FOR FOUR THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED ELEVENTH TIME.

Do these people ever learn?

Imagine the effort that went into coding this animation. The shaded side of the die has to be different, and a number once shown can't appear again until the end of the animation.

Last edited:

user

Savant

I am nitpicking over that skill check being purely for flavor versus it having some C&C or even some measly xp reflection. Doesn't that worry anyone in the freaking Codex? Yes, it's too early for judgement, but these things do show their design philosophy.

rhollis

Educated
Patron
rhollis even then a couple of seconds of ~added suspense~ (and highlighting) for important C&C isn't a bad thing; it worked well for DE and this is no way the final iteration

none of this is a final iteration but people are making judgements about the future of the genre and series based off this minor shit. it's inane.

I said it worked for DE above. My problem is with the current implementation, which is lauded in the PCG article.

Harthwain

Magister
Obviously, it would be altogether optimistic to expect good writing from BG3 (writing-by-committee is never a good idea, and Larian has a dozen writers working on BG3 as if this is a good thing), but I trust he'll help mitigate the worst of it.
Disco Elysium had a bunch of people writting and it turned out to be very good. However, they weren't exactly "writting-by-committee". If I recall correctly a bunch of people were writting for set perspectives and one person (Kurvitz?) was making sure it all fit together.

Insane? No... THIS! IS! CODEX!

Brand new footage of the new Baldur's Gate. Can't wait!
* Dedicated Dark critically missed with his post and it appeared in a completely different thread *
He's just showing you what you could have had if Larian and wotc had an ounce of integrity.
A Pathfinder game with kingdom management mixed in? Maybe stop pretending that Kindgmaker was the real Baldur's Gate, when it was it's own thing and a lot better game overall at that. But no, having RTwP and tabletop ruleset means it's the same game, because every RTwP game is apparently the same.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
A Pathfinder game with kingdom management mixed in? Maybe stop pretending that Kindgmaker was the real Baldur's Gate, when it was it's own thing and a lot better game overall at that. But no, having RTwP and tabletop ruleset means it's the same game, because every RTwP game is apparently the same.
You need help understanding social cues dude. Maybe leave your basement once in a while..

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Disco Elysium had a bunch of people writting and it turned out to be very good. However, they weren't exactly "writting-by-committee". If I recall correctly a bunch of people were writting for set perspectives and one person (Kurvitz?) was making sure it all fit together.

I don't entirely disagree, like you said it's not the same thing. It's pretty clear that Kurvitz is the dominant creative figure involved in Disco Elysium, with the others being in a supportive role. There's no such leading figure that emerged from the BG3 reveals except Swen Vincke, who's basically the project lead and also an owner, but not necessarily a creative voice.

Also, five writers are still better than a dozen.

You need help understanding social cues dude. Maybe leave your basement once in a while..
Remarkable comeback. Instead of addressing what was said, just attack me personally. Social cue master in action.

Thunar

Educated
Remarkable comeback. Instead of addressing what was said, just attack me personally. Social cue master in action.

Indeed, watch and learn.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
They want the same game re-created indefinitely, using the same engine, same visual style, same core mechanics, etc. Such a boring way to approach games and kills any innovation in the genre.

They should probably just band together to make a total conversion mod on the IE or another old, fetishised engine.

They'd have their dream title without the gay romance options that torment their poor souls, teasing them to discover something about themselves.

Last edited:
Larians engine is notoriously unstable in the enhanced (finished) editions of D:OS 1&2, they should have guessed how a live demo of an unfinished build would go. This is why companies generally record their demos before showing them off.

Furthermore, I consider that 3D portraits must be done away with

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom