Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2008 Awards Round-up

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
It's that time of the year again. All the gaming sites are publishing their end of year awards. <a href="http://au.bestof.ign.com/2008/">First up is IGN</a>. I couldn't be assed scrolling through it <a href="http://gamebanshee.com/news/static/EkkAlpkpEliqlYQfci.php">so here's GameBanshee's summary</a>:
<blockquote>Fallout 3: PC RPG of the Year, Xbox 360 Best Use of Sound, Xbox 360 RPG of the Year, Xbox 360 Game of the Year, PS3 RPG of the Year
Fable II: Xbox 360 Best Original Score
Mass Effect: PC Best Story, PC Best Original Score</blockquote>
<a href="http://www.gamesradar.com/f/gamesradars-officially-annual-platinum-chalice-awards-2008/a-2008121817178666006">Up next is GamesRadar</a> who gave Fallout 3 "Most Satisfying Gore" and "Game of the Year":
<blockquote>If you’ve had a chance to explore Fallout 3’s irradiated wasteland, then you already know that there are few things more rewarding than being locked in a life-or-death struggle with a mutant horror and not only killing it, but watching as its face splinters and explodes in slow motion. It’s like a giant, gruesome middle finger in the face of your enemy, and the rush that comes with it will instantly propel your self-image from hopeless wasteland survivor to conquering badass.

Weary critics have called it “Oblivion with guns,” but that’s both a gross oversimplification and… not so bad. Oblivion was an incredible game, and guns make virtually everything better (Zelda with guns? Hell yes). But Fallout 3 can’t be epitomized with three words. It’s a carnival of ‘50s themed sci-fi neurosis - a cornucopia of Cold War delirium, radioactive cola, atomized entrails, and careening limbs. It’s drugs, robots, lasers, bounty hunters, raiders, warriors and giant mutants. It’s the stuff that consumed our grade school notebooks - the naïve but compelling dreams of listless children with ball-point pens.</blockquote>
"Oblivion was an incredible game"... I guess we'll have to wait another year before they do the obligatory "Well, we didn't realise how much it sucked at the time" article. Meanwhile EdgeOnline have a <a href="http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-top-25-game-industry-heroes-2008">Top 25 Game Industry Heroes</a> which includes:
<blockquote>20. Brad Wardell - Stardock :: A smart advocate of digital distribution.

Stardock’s boss majored in the headlines this year because of the Gamers Bill of Rights, which he helped draft and which sought to give consumers a fair deal without damaging the interests of publishers. He has consistently offered a sensible voice on the matter of DRM, and is a proponent of digital distribution. Oh, and he’s also released some great PC games this year including the 500,000+ selling Sins of a Solar Empire, created by Blair and Craig Fraser of 
Ironclad Games.</blockquote>
<a href="http://goty.gamespy.com/2008/">Gamespy have also named Fallout 3 Game of the Year</a> (Mass Effect is 8th) and finally <a href="http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/multimedia/2008/12/YE8_videogames">Wired have their top 10</a>. You have to click "next image" to page through and find <a href="http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/multimedia/2008/12/YE8_videogames?slide=7&slideView=7">Fallout 3 at number 4</a>:
<blockquote>4. Fallout 3: Best Horrific Vision of a Shattered Future

Think of Fallout 3 as a dry run. The bombs are going to drop eventually, and when they do, as you emerge from your shelter into a radioactive nightmare world populated by wild packs of giant, roving cockroaches, you'll be thankful that you spent 40 hours practicing.</blockquote>
In true Codex style we'll have ours out after everyone else.

Thanks <b>Wyrmlord</b>; Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">GameBanshee</a>

bhlaab

Erudite
Does rpgcodex have 10 games released this year that they actually liked?

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
bhlaab said:
Does rpgcodex have 10 games released this year that they actually liked?

I doubt that, because the '10 decent games a year' is not a thing of this millennium.

I was looking at the 'Best RPG of the Year' voting here and at RPGWatch, and I came to notice that I had only played Mass Effect. I have downloaded the Enhanced patch for Witcher, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. And those two were technically not even RPG's of 2008. I will get Zehir next year because of amazon UK delays.

So, I have to vote for KC. Wasted too much time playing non-RPG's and oldies this year as there was nothing better.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
I opened a random old gaming mag (Gambler 2/95) and checked the Best PC games of 1994. I played 8/10 of the listed titles (Doom, SimCity 2000, Mortal Kombat, Civilization, Master of Orion, Privateer, Syndicate, Cannon Fodder) - all awesome. You'd say "94 WAT" - but have the games really changed since that time? I'm talking mainstream stuff. Next-gen (graphics, controls, etc.) is just a gimmick - it most cases it means less freedom and more dumbed-down design.

From all this Best of 2008 lists I played maybe 2 games - FO3 (stopped playing right after I stepped out of Vault 101) and WAR (still can't believe I'm playing and enjoying an ememurpeger). The rest I won't even bother to check even in a few years.

FAKE EDIT: this post is too stupid and obvious to make any sense, but I've spent too much time writing it (since I'm dull and hamfisted) so I'll post it anyway.

Deleted member 7219

Weary critics have called it “Oblivion with guns,” but that’s both a gross oversimplification and… not so bad. Oblivion was an incredible game, and guns make virtually everything better (Zelda with guns? Hell yes).

1195970568513ij6.jpg

Nightjed

Liturgist
mass effect, the last year's best game on console is today's best game on pc

sigh....

you know what?, i tried almost all the new releases for pc, they all suck,i barely touched pop (i hate the graphics and the fact that it only accepts 360 controllers), finished dead space in a weekend (ok i guess but waaaay overrated), mass effect in 2 days (did all the side quest, trust me, avoid them like hell) and you know which was the only game i really enjoyed, lasted me several days and im still playing and probably will replay ? persona 4 with the pcsx2 emu, interesting story, interesting characters and fun even while grinding and i even thought i wouldnt be able to stand it after playing 80 hours of p3fes last month but i was wrong, oh boy i was ...

last year the ps2 console outsold the rest, this year its getting more releases each week than any other, yeah, new age consoles are dooooomed :p, even cocksucking reviewers are rating p4 waaay higher than any other game, user votes seem to agree

p4 has MY vote for game of the year, screw mass effect and fallout 3

if anyone want to try persona4 on pc, get the lastest emu version, set the speedhacks to "speed" the click advanced and set all of them to "chop" and check all checkboxes (btw the zerogs graphics plugin looks the best for p4), it gets full speed in any dualcore e5000+

racofer

Thread Incliner
Dota sucks. Mafa, HLWL, LTW, footies are all better choices.

Unfortunately no wc3 map comes close to the fun of all Sunken Defense maps on starcraft though :(

EEVIAC

Erudite
Apart from Kings Bounty and Storm Of Zehir there was a decent swag of indies llike the sequels to Democracy and Kudos, Larva Mortus, Armageddon Empires (that might have been released last year though,) and my current all-consuming addiction, New Star Soccer 4.

Overall, it wasn't a particularly terrible year for games.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Anyway you're all last-gen losers who like to click things and read things. Welcome to a new age. The age of graphics.

If you actually read this post you are a last gen faggot. A real gamer would have just looked at Gnidrologist's avatar and gotten the exact same message instead of reading all of these words. And if you bother clicking a button to post a reply you are a basement-dwelling loser who couldn't complete the quick-time sequence cutscene necessary to reply to my post in a next gen fashion.

Eat shit, motherfuckers.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
If we consider the community effort, 2008. wasn't so bad year for RPGs:
- Drog's Arcanum Patch
- Killap's Fallout Restoration Project 1.2
- Qwinn's PS:T patch, Unifinished Business and Tweak pack
are all this year's products.

However, the only decent new RPG title in 2008 was NWN 2: SOZ, and it was overall a broad, but shallow game with flashes of brilliance (like the final area). Mass Effect was horrible with its bad interface, retarded dialogue wheel, horrible generic side quests and abysmal real time combat. I stopped playing it halfway through, though I'm not a Bioware hater and I like lesbians. Out of all Bioware games I played (JE is the only one I haven't), Mass Effect is the worst. Fuckout 3 is a POS that I won't even touch - the screenshots say all there is to be said about that game and given that fact that its predecessor Oblivion is probably the worst game I have ever had the misfortune installing on my HDD, I know not to make a similar mistake again.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Mass Effect is the worst"

That's bullshit. That honour belongs to SOU, and KOTOR.

But, neither are those are as SOZZY as SOZ. Which is amongst the SOZZIEST of games EVAR!

Plus, ME isn't a 2008 game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom