Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

jungl

Augur
I don't read threads by steam user if their account is not at least 15 years of service. It filters out 99% of the youtube tier comments and trolling.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Fire Emblem and D:OS are both tactical RPGs. They're different, but they fill a similar niche of popularity and share many gameplay elements that distinguish them from: ACTION RPG, TRADITIONAL JRPG, or RTwP. Or what, you think either fire emblem or D:OS is more popular than Dragon Quest XI? Maybe. Like I said, 2 and 3 are close, and maybe overhead TB will become more popular than the traditional TB in 202X.
I've seen very few cases of Japanese TRPG and western turn-based RPGs cross-pollinating, though. TRGP fans are more likely to try other JRPGs, while western RPG fans are more likely to go to real-time RPG or turn-based strategies, depending on personal preference. Though without actual numbers all of this is no more than conjecture.

What isn't is that TRPG's everything - presentation, gameplay, mechanics - is so vastly different from western turn-based RPGs that they're about as close as Diablo is to Doom - though both are technically 'action games'.

JRPG is used colloquially in reference to a style of turn-based gameplay
...by people who don't know jack shit about JRPGs or RPGs in general.

oh well it's actually in the Dungeon master guide page 270.
I guess I can absolve Swen of guilt for party initiative. The pattern now appears to be that 5E is just a fucking retarded iteration that removed fun and good from the D&D ruleset.
People said that about 4e before that, and 3e before that etc.

Mud'

Scholar
who wants anime d&d? I want to start at level 1 and be weak/average with 4 hp doing my 5 ft steps.

you can give me super jump 10 levels later or allow it through a spell.

But you start off weak, Cleric/Ranger having 10 HP and enemies doing around 5 to 7 dmg per hit feels like the rush of the first encounters of a low level party in D&D while you do also 5 to 7 dmg, pretty sure that a mage is going to have max like 8 HP or some shit like that while moving your 30 ft.

Also the only reason i can think of why they included that Jump ability is to have some sort of "Oh shit oh fuck" button as a disengage type of action, i mean in the tables i been playing D&D and when mages are about to get deepthroated with dice, they always look for a way to disengage to get a fighting chance and most DMs kinda understand how weak those fuckers are in level 1 and give them a way to escape for the moment.

You cant have that leeway in a videogame, the only real problem is that the meta of the game (same as the meta in 5e) is going to be looking to have advantage on any roll possible, so people could just stack boxes upon boxes and jump on them to gain it, dunno if thats going to work but if it does, this shit can get retarded real soon.

Ulysa

Scholar
Reading the past tense dialogues confuses me and then makes me feel like an illiterate idiot. I might need this game in my native language, but then I'll get a headache trying to translate the spells to english to understand what they are. :retarded:

LabRat

Learned
7ErA0ah.png

rhollis

Educated
Patron
Reading the past tense dialogues confuses me and then makes me feel like an illiterate idiot. I might need this game in my native language, but then I'll get a headache trying to translate the spells to english to understand what they are. :retarded:

You could try practicing by narrating your life in the same way and addressing everyone in the same fashion. *I engaged in small talk with my neighbor* *I couldn't stand another remark about the weather so I drew my sword* etc

Neerasrc

Learned
I am happy and unhappy. I love Larian games but the restart of bg (with bg3) was a complete disappointment to me. I don't even want to comment. I am extremely happy with what I have seen, but at the same time I feel sorry for no reason.

A strange dead end street.

Ulysa

Scholar
You could try practicing by narrating your life in the same way and addressing everyone in the same fashion. *I engaged in small talk with my neighbor* *I couldn't stand another remark about the weather so I drew my sword* etc
:lol::lol::lol:
Please next interviewer do this to Swen.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The ongoing meltdown on the Steam BG3 forums is hilarious. /popcorn

Ok, now i am properly fucking butthurt. :rage:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1086940/discussions/0/1750150007019243913/

Also most of those games were great despite the combat system, because lets face it Baldurs Gate was never praised because of the combat.

Indeed. It was state of art when no better games existed. It aged very poorly.

These games were not ever praised for there gameplay mechanics they were praised because of the incredibly deep and interesting stories and choices you could make from a role playing perspective.Thats what makes Baldurs Gate, Planescape, Neverwinter, and all these old cRPGs so memorable. The idea that it was the RTwP combat is not only nonsensical but a flat out fabrication created by a bunch of intellectually vapid nerds who refuse to move of from a nostalgic time they hold in high regards.

Exactly this. It has never been about the combat mechanic of BG 1/2 and IE games, it was always about everything else in those games

Baldur's gate was NEVER known for its high quality battles lolmao.
In reality what made BG a thing was the production values. It was a very good looking game for those times, it had good music and sound effects, and pretty UI and portraits in addition to the isnpiring area backgrounds.

rhollis

Educated
Patron

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1086940/discussions/0/1750150007023908567/

Characters shouldn't be able to jump around like kangaroos in a middle of a fight.

I think they said the tadpole is enhancing your jumping capabilities just like how it allowed that vampire guy to be out in the sun.

Looks like we are witnessing birth of a new rpg meme - "tadpole did it"

What a convenient premise, allowing to handwave any retarded shit developers come up with in order to impress plebs.
Too bad it stays retarded nonetheless.
Where would game writing be without convenient premises that allow developers to handwave retarded shit...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom