Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Modron

Arcane
They *probably* dislike how Monster Hunter World gained massive popularity and overwhelmingly positive reception, and how that might affects a DD sequel.
I think it's more the case about people being wary of sequels released several years after the initial installment, Dragon's Dogma came out 8 years ago that is forever ago in vidya game boom and bust turn over. Have to wonder if most of the people responsible for developing it are even still there and if they still have that same zeitgeist even if they are.

I'm pretty sure all key people are still at Capcom. They either just wrapped on Devil May Cry 5, or they've been working on Dragon's Dogma Online.

Even if it has multiplayer, so what? They aren't going to drop the party system to focus on it. Shit, the pawn system was one of the big ideas of the game and playing around with their character creation system is too good.

I can't see them casualize anything from the game really. What do you think they'd do? What do you see them making simpler? What do you think gets worse? If Dragon's Dogma 2 happens under Hideaki Itsun I don't see him taking things away. And if it happens under Kento Kinoshita, who did Online and Dark Arisen, I don't see that happening either; hell, from what I've seen of Online Kimoshita added more systems stuff to the classes in that game.

At the very least, in my most mundane least far out expectations for a Dragon's Dogma 2, I'd just kind of expect some more classes, it's "Everfall" to be more fleshed out, (they didn't really get to do what they original wanted with that, and I kind of wonder if that Made in Abyss anime from a few years back could have an effect on the dungeon that's a giant hole in the ground in the middle of a city) more big monsters, climbing on everything, and for you to have a few more combo attacks than in this game.

Kitchen Utensil

Everything would be worse and/or dumbed down.
Char creator, layered clothing/armor, skill system, combat, pawn system, amount of items/consumables/materials etc.
And I agree, there would probably be some kind of retarded unvoluntary multiplayer shit forced in.

There are lots of things they could improve in a sequel. But they wouldn't. Because it's current year.

It's not like they're fucking Bethesda and BioWare.

The idea that combat is going to get dumb down might be the dumbest fucking worry anyone could have. If you're expecting Hideaki Itsuno to come back for a second one, I'm not really sure how you look at DMC5 and worry him and his people have somehow forgotten how to do combat. I can see being worried about some things, but not the fuckin' combat.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Everything would be worse and/or dumbed down.
Char creator, layered clothing/armor, skill system, combat, pawn system, amount of items/consumables/materials etc.
And I agree, there would probably be some kind of retarded unvoluntary multiplayer shit forced in.

There are lots of things they could improve in a sequel. But they wouldn't. Because it's current year.
Games started getting shit long before DD.

In fact, I would say things were much worse around the time DD was released.

DD shone in the darkness, and the darkness had not yet overcome it.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope DD2 never happens because I know that if it does, it will be nearly 100% likely to be multiplayer shit instead of a proper singleplayer sequel.

Itsuno couldn't even flesh out the co-op in DMC5 outside of a few gimmick levels and you think DD2 will be multiplayer only? It will have optional co-op at best.

Yeah, it is funny all this gnashing of teeth over a Dragon's Dogma 2 maybe having multiplayer when the multiplayer of Devil May Cry 5 is just select sections, and sometimes they aren't even around you in those areas. It sounded like the Everfall was originally meant to work something like that, but that was one of many things they had to scale back on during development.

That's also another thing, they weren't even able to do everything they original wanted. There was originally meant to be more.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/fb6fuw/capcoms_future/

Deep Down is canceled, but it's assets are being salvaged for Dragon's Dogma 2

Dragon's Dogma 2 has two big features, the ability to duel wield any combination of weapons, and a new traversal system called Weapon Traversal

s-l400.jpg

Delterius

Arcane
Yeah, it is funny all this gnashing of teeth over a Dragon's Dogma 2 maybe having multiplayer when the multiplayer of Devil May Cry 5 is just select sections, and sometimes they aren't even around you in those areas. It sounded like the Everfall was originally meant to work something like that, but that was one of many things they had to scale back on during development.

That's also another thing, they weren't even able to do everything they original wanted. There was originally meant to be more.
sometimes i wonder if the trip to the moon was the original everfall

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/fb6fuw/capcoms_future/

Deep Down is canceled, but it's assets are being salvaged for Dragon's Dogma 2

Dragon's Dogma 2 has two big features, the ability to duel wield any combination of weapons, and a new traversal system called Weapon Traversal

s-l400.jpg

I'm seeing a lot of downright implausible stuff on that list. However, after DMC5's adequate performance I wouldn't be surprised if Itsuno is given some more leeway to realize a project of his liking, in which case he would very likely go for another DD game as I remember him saying he absolutely would if given the opportunity to.

deuxhero

Arcane
Really the thing that makes me doubt this is that none of it lines up with that mass trademarking they did at the end of last year. They were new, not renewals.

sometimes i wonder if the trip to the moon was the original everfall

They were two different places.

A6LMFVy.jpg

Oh, the YouTube video works in America now.

I can't remember if it's in the GDC presentation, but there's some concept art with a lion man in it. Now you've got a lion guy in Capcom's RPGish boss rush fighting game Red Earth that seems to be a take on a popular fantasy in Japan called Guin Sage. So either at some point in development you could either just make a lion guy, there were cures that changed how you looked, (which is what's going on in Guin Sage & Red Earth) or there was just some lion guy NPC in the world. Although given how none of the characters in the concept art are in the game, I think it's meant to show off what you (or maybe just your party) could look like.

16-0-1452949264.jpg

Sentinel

Arcane
Itsuno mentions that the "tower to the moon" idea got reworked into the everfall.

As for the lion picture, it's an extremely early stage draft back when the team were trying to find their footing on what the world would look like, and has the following comment on the art book:
"When I first joined the team, they hadn't yet decided on things like vocations and races, so I drew this group shot and the individual portraits below based on my general ideas about the fantasy genre. Obviously, the beastfolk representative just had to be a lion." [Daigo Ikeno]

Yeah, the Endless Tower is what the Everfall became. The original idea for the Endless Tower / Everfall was that it was a space that linked all the player worlds together. It sounds like while everyone would have there own space in the normal open world part, the Endless Tower was a shared space between everyone. In the final game the most this seems to come into play is with the Ur Dragon fight, and some things said when you meet Seneschal at the end. The idea of the Endless Tower (at least from what it sounds like it was going to be) seems to have found its way into Itsuno's DMC5 somewhat with the Cameo Systems, but in particular the tower area around the end where all three characters can be together.

DD5.jpg

It's been a while since I watched the GDC video, so I just gave it another watch. At 15:40 Hideaki Itsuno does talk about how at one point your part could also be made up of non-human characters and even pets. So there was at least one point during development where the idea of having non-human party members was in the game.

At 29:57 there's an interesting bit where they show an internal video showing what they were going for. Interesting in that it shows things with combat and environmental interactions that didn't made it into the final game that maybe could make it in a sequel.

mogwaimon

Magister
it's a testament to the quality of Dragon's Dogma that it was that good even with all of that cut out. maybe if we ever get DD2 we'll get the full experience. I'm a little optimistic because I finished Nier Automata recently and that gave me hope that the industry can still produce something artistic and great on a big budget

Ent

Savant
Some of the exclusive classes in DDO were really cool from what I got to play in the games last two months of life. I hope they can make it into 2 if it becomes a thing.

Puukko

Arcane
Finish it three times you mean.

Though technically I've never fought the Seneschal...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom