Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline You're a cunt if you worship these games Top 40

Which Games Should never be near a "Top/Greatest Game" list?

• Mass Effect 2

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • Skyrim

Votes: 45 45.0%
  • Witcher 3

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • Bioshock

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • GTA 5

Votes: 22 22.0%
  • Minecraft

Votes: 20 20.0%
  • LA Noire

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Red Dead Redemption 1

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Uncharted 2

Votes: 34 34.0%
  • Secret Of Mana

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • Seiken Deketsu 3

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Ocarina of Time

• Pokemon

Votes: 22 22.0%
  • Tetris

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Fire Emblem

• Chrono Trigger

• Fallout 4

Votes: 56 56.0%
  • Fallout NV

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Metal Gear Solid 3

• Last of Us

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Horizon Zero Dawn

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • Boarderlands 2

Votes: 33 33.0%
  • Batman Arkham City

Votes: 18 18.0%
  • Assasins Creed

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Far Cry 3

• Total War

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undertale

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • World of Warcraft

• Disco Elysium

• Donkey King Kong Komrade Country 2 and 3

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • Call of Duty 4

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • Nier Automata

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Half-Life 1

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Half Life 2

• Gauntlet

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Civilization 2/ Civilization 4

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Castlevania/ Castlevania 3/ Castlevania: Bloodlines/ Meteroidvanias

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Gain Ground

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Street Fighter 2/ Championship Edition

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters

Jason Liang

Arcane
FPS games. I could never get into these for one reason - I just find it ridiculous to play these games with a mouse or gamepad. Get a light gun for chrissakes
What? How are you supposed to play an FPS with a light-gun? Or are you say that light-gun games would be better?

Games that are too cartoony. I'm not a little boy anymore. Super Mario World and SMB3 might seem brilliant when you were 12 or 19, but it's hard to take a game where you stomp on koopas and goombas seriously once you are 39.
18913.jpg
Rance games are obviously purposefully cartoony. If the aesthetic were realiistic, it would be perverse and horrific.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
They're purposely cartoony though. Just like Rance.

Not liking Mario games is your choice and whatever, I don't really care, but your reasoning is pants on head retarded.

Muh rape makes cartoons adult themed!!!!11 Might be the most immature, childish reasoning I've heard brah :lol::lol::lol:

Jason Liang

Arcane
They're purposely cartoony though. Just like Rance.

Not liking Mario games is your choice and whatever, I don't really care, but your reasoning is pants on head retarded.

Muh rape makes cartoons adult themed!!!!11 Might be the most immature, childish reasoning I've heard brah :lol::lol::lol:
It's the same reason why children's literature isn't actual literature

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
No it isn't. And presenting adult themes in a child-like fashion wouldn't change anything anyway.

Regardless, you just look like kind of a tool calling Mario games childish when you enjoy a cartoony, goofy presentation of rape etc.

You're really in a poor position to be making that judgement.

Jason Liang

Arcane
No it isn't. And presenting adult themes in a child-like fashion wouldn't change anything anyway.

Regardless, you just look like kind of a tool calling Mario games childish when you enjoy a cartoony, goofy presentation of rape etc.

You're really in a poor position to be making that judgement.
You are just being contrarian if you can't recognize the difference between Mario games and Rance games

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
I see the difference. My point was that you look like a fucking lobotomite saying that games about jumping on goombas are childish, whereas mature gamers like you enjoy cutesy rape.

It's an absurd point to make.

In case you're still struggling I'll boil it down.

THERE'S A VERY FORWARD-FACING ELEMENT TO THE THING YOU LIKE WHICH SEEMS CHILDISH SO IT'S A WEIRD CRITICISM TO MAKE OF MARIO GAMES

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
ME1 is a piece of shit game that has a large cunt following on Codex.

Certain games succeed so much on setting, mood, story, etc. that they get away with meh gameplay. I'd say Mass Effect is one of those games.

Personally I think that pretty much everything about the game is shit but I understand that some people still enjoy the game.

So its all right if you like ME1, since I also like many game others find shitty.

But to argue that the game belongs on a certain top list of 70 all time best RPGs, that would make you a cunt.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But to argue that the game belongs on a certain top list of 70 all time best RPGs, that would make you a cunt.

I mean, Alpha Protocol is 20 spots higher, so that list isn't exactly free of console focused games with iffy gameplay.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I mean, Alpha Protocol is 20 spots higher, so that list isn't exactly free of console focused games with iffy gameplay.

Nobody is saying that the rest of that list is perfect, there are quite a few shitty games there.

The reason Im focusing on ME1 is due op mentioning ME2 as some horrible game while giving a pass to ME1.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Whilst felipepepe works on the greatest ever games ever ever list, I wanna tick things over with a list where we can single out all the wank which usually appears in such lists, but are in fact actually total bollocks. Games which we always see in Journo's "Top games ever" lists, but which shouldn't be anywhere near them.

I'm talking the Mass Effect 2's of this world. A stripped down shadow of it's predecessor, and a shit shooter sandwiched between cut-scenes which somehow bizarrely gets called an RPG. It's not even a good fucking shooter at that. It's not even the best game in the franchise. Therefore if you worship this game & vote for it in top game lists, you're a cunt, and it belongs in this list.

I'm talking the fucking Skyrim's of this world which, whilst they may have some value & fun to be found, aren't a fucking patch on the earlier games in the series, and yet somehow manage to always beat them to the top echelons of lists like these.

So you could say "Overrated games", but it's more than that. It's games which have amazingly managed to con their way into the public's perception that they are even remotely anything great. Games which are questionably worth playing at all, never mind greatest game material, and who's worshipers are cunty cuntflaps. These aren't just overrated, they're outright shit experiences yet hailed as masterpieces.

I'm gonna suggest a list of games, you suggest your chaps with reasoning behind them, and then I'll add them to a poll probably. I'm a disorganized fucker so things might change, who knows.

Here's my starter list of suggestions:
  • Mass Effect 2 - Shit shooter with drawn out cut-scenes. Unbelievably hailed as a classic.
  • Skyrim - If Morrowind was a 3 course meal, this is a tin of Spam.
  • Witcher 3 - Assasins Creed with cut-scenes. Scandalously overrated. Not even on par with it's 2 predecessors.
  • Bioshock - Piss weak audio log listening sim, with shite combat and none of the depth of the System Shocks.
  • GTA 5 - Plays itself life sim wannabee, with shit gameplay.
  • Minecraft - For kids & cucks who want to touch kids.
  • LA Noire - Empty, lacking, shit.
  • Red Dead Redemption 1 - Horse riding sim in a barren, boring open world.
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 - Horse rising sim in a barren, boring open world where you eat tinned Sardines.
  • Uncharted 2 - Dull climbing sim
My thread, my rules, so I decide if suggestions make the list or not. Sometimes I'll be open to suggestions, others not.

Additional suggestions that will go on the poll:

• Secret Of Mana - Not played in a while, but only ever remember it being average anyway
  • Seiken Deketsu 3 - Ridiculously overrated. Dull.
  • Ocarina of Time - Too easy, combat is fiddly, not a patch on some of Links other outings.
  • Pokemon - For kids & pedos.
  • Half Life 2 - Way too many physics puzzles that hinder the fun.
  • Fire Emblem - Never played, will take your word for it
  • Chrono Trigger - Very lacking. An OK game with nice music, but I recently returned to it and found it a slog.
  • Fallout 4 - Beyond shit. Some of the other games on this list are OK, just shouldn't be deemed as classics. This though is pure fucking tripe.
  • Fallout 3 - I fucking love it, so I'm a cunt, but it has to be on here to be fair to the haters of it.
  • Metal Gear Solid 3 - Ugggh. Slow, ponderous piece of self indulgent trash, which lacks the charm, pacing & fun of the original
  • Last of Us - How the fuck can killing zombies be so little fun? Just rape & shoot the damn bitch.
  • Horizon Zero Dawn - Like someone copy-pasted every dull open world design into one game.
  • Boarderlands 2 - Not played, will take your word for it.
  • Batman Arkham City - Feels like a starter before you get the DLC.
  • Assasins Creed - Black Cock - See everything, do little with it.
  • Far Cry 3 - Pure fucking open world busywork trash
  • Total War - I like these games, but can see why they should be on the list.
  • Undertale - Not even as good as the JRPGs of old which it's based on.
  • WoW - Never played, but online games are not my cuppa cha anyway.
  • Disco Elysium - Never played, some fair points as to why it needs to be added though.
  • Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 - to quote samuraigaiden "graphicswhore fodder with eurotrash level design that pioneered the collectathon abomination"
  • Call of Duty 4 - Popamole propawank
  • Nier Automata - As Chaosdwarft says, "it is a good game in my opinion but it should not be part of TOP 50 games lists". In fact it's not even that good really. A lot of enjoyment comes from 2B's ass. When playing as the sidekick gimp it loses a LOT of appeal.
  • Half-Life 1 - Grampy_Bone makes a good case here, not my person POV, but a strong enough arguement for it to be added to the list - "not because it's a bad game, but because it basically killed Doom-esque non-scripted shooters for two decades, a drought we are only JUST NOW recovering from. The damage that single game has done to an entire genre is incalculable."
  • Tetris: Ultimately the strategy to Tetris is limited. Then it becomes just a distraction/ time-waster.
  • Gauntlet: Gauntlet is in my top 100 but for top 25 I went with Diablo instead. Gauntlet was a great multiplayer game, a game that captured the imagination of a generation of gamers, and a formula whose legacy includes everything from Diablo 3 to Assassin's Creed to Gain Ground to Rogue/Invisible Inc to Grand Theft Auto. But really, like Tetris, it's a game whose strategic depth is has a limit.
  • Civilization 2/ Civilization 4: Ultimately the weakness of this series is twofold: one, they are pretty terrible multiplayer, and two, they are strategically repetitive. The terrible multiplayer is worsened by poor AI, and the strategic shallowness is worsened by endgame complexity bloat, which this series has never managed to solve. Only SMAC ended up transcending these limitations. The enormous creative and strategic depth in SMAC's tech tree means that even after thousands of hours, one can still find a new challenge to explore and overcome in this classic.
  • Castlevania/ Castlevania 3/ Castlevania: Bloodlines/ Meteroidvanias: I love Castlevania but ultimately 2D platformers really do not really fit horror or exploration that well. The best fit for 2D platformer I feel is Ninja platformer, which is why I went with the masterpiece of the 2D Ninja platformer, Shinobi 3. And if not one of the Shinobi games (all are really amazing), then Strider.
  • Gain Ground: I saw Gain Ground in HCG's top 100, and it would probably make my top 100 too, but not my top 25 since I think again, a lot of what makes Gain Ground special can also be found in Invisible Inc.
  • Nethack/ Rogue: Ultimately I went with the most refined version of this genre that I feel in many ways transcend the genre, which was Invisible Inc.
  • Street Fighter 2/ Championship Edition: It's true that it inspired an entire genre and deserves credit for that. But in the 20+ years since it has been far surpassed by its successors. Let's not get too nostalgic here.

You lost me at "I fucking love Fallout 3" then my brain shut down and I had to take a nap.

Dramart

Learned
You should replace Mass Effect 2 with first game as ME1 is a piece of shit game thats also on a Codex top 70 list of best RPGs of all time, while ME2 is not on that list.
ME2 is more a shooter than an RPG.

Your point?

This isnt discussion on what game is more of a RPG but what shitty games get lot of praise and people who praise them being cunts.

ME1 is a piece of shit game that has a large cunt following on Codex.
My point was that it was top 70 rpgs and ME2 has little of RPG. If you think ME is sith and it's worshipped by curls, it's your opinion and that's it. But it's like three times more RPG than ME2, even ME3 has more of an rpg than ME2.

Dude, Gothic 1 is a great game.

Why do you like that bad game with awful combat? One of the worst ever. Why is it good for you?

Last edited:

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Ducktales 1 & 2 are low tier NES titles that happened to be associated with a great cartoon, hence why people have nostalgia for these otherwise forgettable games.

Lemming42

Arcane
Ducktales 1 is one of the better NES platformers. I think the NES is a hugely overrated console but Fucktales is at least one of the games with great graphics, music, competent level design and a cool gameplay hook with the pogo stick.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
My point was that it was top 70 rpgs and ME2 has little of RPG. If you think ME is sith and it's worshipped by curls, it's your opinion and that's it. But it's like three times more RPG than ME2, even ME3 has more of an rpg than ME2.

Thats a very stupid point to make, since the discussion was never about how much of a RPG is any of those games.

Its about how bad they are and about cunts that think that any ME game deserves to be on top lists of best games of all time.

If you like ME1 that fine, I have shitty game I like to play and you are free to enjoy whatever you want. But if you think it deserves to be on a list of top 100 RPGs of all time then you are a cunt.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Ducktales 1 & 2 are low tier NES titles that happened to be associated with a great cartoon, hence why people have nostalgia for these otherwise forgettable games.

I would argue that they're not otherwise forgettable, but the Ducktales setting and look is enough to push them from good games to great. And that's fine. Beavis and Butthead and The Simpsons are beloved franchises and most associated games are indeed otherwise forgetttable and don't recieve the love that the Ducktales games recieve.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Same for Rescue Rangers. I got the Disney collection on Steam due to nostalgia and was like "oh... wait..."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom