Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

DraQ

Arcane
They are obviously recycling assets and going for the lowest hanging design fruit so far whenever possible.
It's an alpha.

The sensible thing is to use whatever assets you already have, implement core stuff, then see what nice to have things can be added.

I pity the poor souls that think that a single asset from the alpha will get changed for something new / not reused in final.
I honestly don't care but it would worry me if they changed before alpha.

Calm

Novice
They are obviously recycling assets and going for the lowest hanging design fruit so far whenever possible.
It's an alpha.

The sensible thing is to use whatever assets you already have, implement core stuff, then see what nice to have things can be added.

Exactly, I have no qualms about this. The question was about whether or not all the classes would be implemented or just 8 or whatever number.

They already have the 'core four' and a couple others which makes a staring spread. 5e is a very versatile system and most classes can be built to do most things if you want to. Some are more delineated in what they can do or the way they work than others like Warlock (which is already in) but for the most part they all broadly function the same way.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
tJR3m4s.jpg

Frozen

Arcane
They will resurrect Irenicus, basement dwellers favorite cliché cartoonish villain as the main bad guy.

I know how these F-grade writers for video games think.

You herd it first here folks.

Vatnik Wumao
They will resurrect Irenicus, basement dwellers favorite cliché cartoonish villain as the main bad guy.

I'd wager that it'll end with two endings: either you sacrifice yourself or you finish your transformation and become the big bad mindflayer. And the Larian dialogue will be a plot twist about the bug in your brain narrating your inner monologue (and maybe influencing it) along the way.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
has sawyer ever made a good game?

why is he being posted anyhwere as an authority on anything??

Icewind Dale 1 and 2. Some people like New Vegas too. I don't know if he worked on MotB or not, but he did work on NWN2.

You might, and it would be an interesting plot point, but there's no way a contemporary mainstream videogame would have homosexuality as a cruel imposition on a heterosexual character.
If they want some sort of social commentary, it's ripe for the picking. This can work both ways, the game shows how cruel it is to force homosexuality on a heterosexual, ergo it's cruel to force heterosexuality on homosexuals. This basically writes itself if you are into that sort of thing.

Dodo1610

Arcane
The official list of races and classes for early access:
6 classes (subclasses)
  • Fighter - Battle Master, Eldritch Knight
  • Wizard - Evocation, Abjuration
  • Rogue - Arcane Trickster, Thief
  • Ranger - Hunter, Beast Master
  • Cleric - Life, Light, Trickery
  • Warlock - Fiend, Great One

Missing for now 6 classes
  • Bard - Sorry but a DND game without them shouldn't exist, must be included!
  • Sorcerer - easy to implement just but jut edgier wizards could be cut IMO
  • Barbarian - easy to implement and should be in
  • Druid - will be added in the final game! confirmed by Dragon Magazine
  • Monk - since Pink Eye doesn't care about BG3 they might not make it
  • Paladin -edgier cleric
15 Races (subraces)
  • Human
  • Half-Elf
  • Elf (High, Wood)
  • Drow - why aren't they an elven subrace?
  • half-Drow -WFT?
  • Dwarf (Mountain, Hill)
  • Halfling (stout, Lightfoot)
  • Githyanki - makes sense for the theme
  • Tiefling (Asmodeus)
Missing for now:
  • Dragonborn - Will most certainly be included but they need their own animations
  • Half-Orc - Semi popular might not make it
  • Gnome - Confirmed by Dragon Magazine
  • Yuan-ti Purblood - I just like them a lot.:cry:
Can't decide whether that's a lot for an AAA game or severely lacking for a DND game.

Last edited:

Crispy's Boyfriend

I'd wager that it'll end with two endings: either you sacrifice yourself or you finish your transformation and become the big bad mindflayer. And the Larian dialogue will be a plot twist about the bug in your brain narrating your inner monologue (and maybe influencing it) along the way.

Either this, or else the "dark power" mentioned in the plot summary will be related to the Dead Three, and not to the process of ceremorphosis. After all, at least according to pre-established lore, within hours the host of the tadpole loses his original personality, which is replaced with that of the fledgling mind flayer. So, unless Larian Studios is planning to rewrite this part of the Forgotten Realms setting, I feel the players are in for a plot twist.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The AAA budget should go to such things and not to cinematics or voice acting. Cutting Druid is abominable. ALL base races and classes should be in.

Calm

Novice
  • half-Drow -WFT?

As you point out it’s peculiar that these are separated out.
Half-Drow is technically in the rules (in the SCAG) as a variant Half-Elf.

See my previous post about classes.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Our shitposter. :love:
She's just some dumbass that spammed the word retard over and over 30 times and then made 3 comments in a row instead of just editing her comment...
has sawyer ever made a good game?

why is he being posted anyhwere as an authority on anything??
The tweet is there to showcase what integrity and respect for a franchise looks like. I actually respect him so much more after that. Like I said earlier, Josh Sawyer as the villain of decline was so much better than swen.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

So... Baldur's gate turn based is decline now?.. A D&D game turn based is decline?

It is interesting when someone makes a game close to the source material to see how many people cry about scandal. And in the other one when one turns a pen and paper game in a first person shooter how many people are cheering.

Makes you think about the integrity of some people.

Calm

Novice
  • half-Drow -WFT?

As you point out it’s peculiar that these are separated out.
Half-Drow is technically in the rules (in the SCAG) as a variant Half-Elf.

See my previous post about classes.
Pretty different variable for NPCs to react to, to be fair.

Sure, though I don’t see how having a tag for a subrace is any harder to program than one for a race.
It’s probably just to stick them front in centre as options for the masses, lots of edgy people out there that love Drow and Tieflings. They certainly fit in a Forgotten Realms story about Illithid, but why not Duergar as well? + other things from the SCAG, or Githzerai.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom