Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah that was back when companies cared about their products appealing to customers. Now they just call you racist/sexist/homophobic/incel if you don't consoom product.

Gay people stereotypically have quite a bit of disposable/discretionary income, hence why so many companies go all in with the rainbow trash during the month of June.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Forgotten Realms don't really have a strong aesthetic personality as a whole, you must choose which region you want to concentrate on and adapt the artstyle to fit that. It would be very easy to do something unique for Thay for example, but Baldur's Gate the city is as generic medieval as it gets, you have to concentrate on motifs and color schemes maybe.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Which classes will make it as the last 2? They said 8 classes and 15 races, and 6 had been announced already. 7th is paladin obviously, but 8th Is a toss between druid, bard, sorcerer and monk. Hope it's not sorcerer.
When did they say they'd limit it to 8 classes? That would be major decline.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I shudder to imagine what that playerbase must look like right now. Pot-bellied balding men and unhealthy looking women with piercing marks and sagging tats, hair probably all burned from the constant dying in various colors, desperate attempts to attract attention while pretending they don't want it. PS, no offence Volourn.

Gaider was too timid to go full flaming homo as early as 2000.

Don't underestimate Gaider and the rest of Bioware they managed to include the first lesbian woman into star wars only 3 years later.

Last edited:

retinoid

Savant
2 all u naysayers, larien has proven track record look at DoS2 best rope playing video game according 2 ign n gamestop, you will all be sendin apology emails to swen when bg3 comes out

cplpnkx.jpg

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Forgotten Realms don't really have a strong aesthetic personality as a whole, you must choose which region you want to concentrate on and adapt the artstyle to fit that. It would be very easy to do something unique for Thay for example, but Baldur's Gate the city is as generic medieval as it gets, you have to concentrate on motifs and color schemes maybe.

Dunno, I read the new modules (Murder in Baldur's Gate and... Descent into Avernus, was it?) and I got more of a late medieval early Renaissance feel for the world, which is kinda refreshing. But to be fair, I will always have a softspot for Baldur's Gate.

I saw the gameplay reveal at thursday and personally I'm happy. I would have really been surprised, if they would have changed much from a system that work out for them and is closer to a Pen&Paper-experience than the old BG's. And now we have to wait until, dunno, christmas 2021? Oh well, at least I can replay the old games again, to get me into the mood.

Curratum

Swen said EAccess in a few months, probably mid-summer (?), don't expect the full release anytime before holiday season 2021.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Which classes will make it as the last 2? They said 8 classes and 15 races, and 6 had been announced already. 7th is paladin obviously, but 8th Is a toss between druid, bard, sorcerer and monk. Hope it's not sorcerer.
When did they say they'd limit it to 8 classes? That would be major decline.
It was in an official image posted one hundred thousand pages ago. But it's still open for debate, since various sites say that the game will have all 12 core classes.

I only have high hopes for the gameplay and exploration, the writing is obviously made-up on the spot and going to be Tumblr-tier. I also rewatched some parts of the gameplay video right now and I think people are jumping to conclusions about the vampire being gay. He says he tried to seduce the noble to bring him to his master, you don't need to be gay to do that.

God forbid the character is gay might make codexers uncomfortable.
the issue is they are all gay

It's not even clear at this point whether Astarion is gay as his reference to that man was in the context of luring a victim to drink blood.

Regardless however there are far more interesting parameters to judge character writing besides sexuality but of course if you are a raging neckbeard you might be afraid to catch the gays if you are playing a video game in close proximity to a fictional one.
yes there are, which is why making every character maybe gay, maybe not, is just getting played out and predictable- its not even risky anymore, its actually the safer move which is why they do it....

They also do it so that maybe fagots can pretend to maybe fuck some other character if they maybe meet them when they role play. They want to leave all options open, god forbid, somebody was a particular sexual preference. I grew up in san Francisco, caught the bus everyday day for school at castro and market for years and years. There is nothing I am going to learn or be afraid of about fagots from pretend fagots in a video game. Its just fucking tiresome is all.

I never said that shoehorning a character being gay, just for the sake of it, is good character writing. At the same time if a character happens to be so is not however in of itself indicitative of poor writing.

Far more important is the character's motives, personality and his overall place in the story presented.

The obsession to make every character gay/bi/whatever the latest social trend is equally bad as the obsession to make every character straight.

Claiming all characters are or will be is just unfounded hyperbole, you have nothing besides your sweaty fedora to prove that at this juncture.

In essence you are just a different kind of SJW but an SJW nonetheless.

yes, its all the same. Moral equivalence, the drum beat of our lives. Defending yourself is the same as attacking. The person being raped is as guilty as the raper. After all, its all violence. Its all the same thing. Violence is violence, 2=2, its all equivalent.
Only nazis and fascists try and use language to justify and rank violence.... or even to try and celebrate it...but its all the same thing, and its all bad.

That is how it works. If you notice culture at all...BOOM! SJW. 2=2. BAM.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

DO IT, SWEN. FUCKING DO IT MAN!

I want to like this game. I want to to want to buy. Make me want to buy it. Make a shameless fucking appeal to me based on a game that came out 20 years ago, I don't fucking care. DO IT.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The obsession to make every character gay/bi/whatever the latest social trend is equally bad as the obsession to make every character straight.

Ha yes, the obsession to make everything normal and wholesome instead of shoving in as much deviant shit as you can.

You know what they said about not being so open minded that you let your brain fall out of your skull altogether, and this is where we are at now with SJWs.

Besides, why stop at gays? That's old hat now. Larian should seriously consider some transgender incloosion.

Crispy's Boyfriend

I've been reading very contrasting opinions when it comes to the size of the old games' fanbase. On one hand, there are those who claim they are a significant chunk of potential buyers, and possibly alienating them is not the best idea. On the other, I've read several opinion pieces arguing that they are a small, very vocal minority, and Larian Studios is making the correct choice in changing up the formula to fit a more modern audience.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, on the question of Forgotten Realms. Can anybody explain to me what's wrong with "standard" medieval fantasy? What, not grimdark enough for you try hard kiddies?

Ha yes, the obsession to make everything normal and wholesome instead of shoving in as much deviant shit as you can.

You know what they said about not being so open minded that you let your brain fall out of your skull altogether, and this is where we are at now with SJWs.

Besides, why stop at gays? That's old hat now. Larian should seriously consider some transgender incloosion.

If you think about it, Baldur's Gate already had that with Edwin(a).

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I've been reading very contrasting opinions when it comes to the size of the old games' fanbase. On one hand, there are those who claim they are a significant chunk of potential buyers, and possibly alienating them is not the best idea. On the other, I've read several opinion pieces arguing that they are a small, very vocal minority, and Larian Studios is making the correct choice in changing up the formula to fit a more modern audience.

Yeah. I mean, who besides journalist and us old hardcorefarts remember the series? Like, really remembers it and hasn't just heard of it. I don't think the fanbase is really that big (most of the old fans might have no time/interest in the games anymore or have choked on their hatred for the new world), but the idea of the name has still some power. But most of Larians fans might just loved D:OS 1 and 2 and buy the game, because they got more of their favorite games, but even bigger and more cutscenes.

Last edited:

Crispy's Boyfriend

:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

They are going for the female demographic which traditionally is Bioware's audience.

You mean the vocal minority that grafted itself into the community to ruin it with their estrogen laden shit.

To the point that BioWare completely shut down their own forums. And we're talking about a company who still produces AAA games. This is unprecedented, I think.

Dramart

Learned

Joined: Yesterday. Choose carefully your future words. I'll be watching you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom