Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Saravan

Savant
The obsession to make every character gay/bi/whatever the latest social trend is equally bad as the obsession to make every character straight.

Ha yes, the obsession to make everything normal and wholesome instead of shoving in as much deviant shit as you can.

You know what they said about not being so open minded that you let your brain fall out of your skull altogether, and this is where we are at now with SJWs.

Besides, why stop at gays? That's old hat now. Larian should seriously consider some transgender incloosion.

It appears the massive butthurt and the fear of gays are correlated.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I was in denial phase. Now I'm in depression phase. BG3 is not RTwP.

giphy.gif

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I've been reading very contrasting opinions when it comes to the size of the old games' fanbase. On one hand, there are those who claim they are a significant chunk of potential buyers, and possibly alienating them is not the best idea. On the other, I've read several opinion pieces arguing that they are a small, very vocal minority, and Larian Studios is making the correct choice in changing up the formula to fit a more modern audience.

The majority of buyers of any game are casuals. Most gamers don't go on forums like everyone here does, maybe they'll go on Reddit but even that is still a minority. It's always more profitable to appeal to casuals. These are people that don't care a ton about learning the mechanics or even what the mechanics are behind the scenes. So what you've heard is true, most of their buyers won't care or even know there's something to care about. If advertising is good they'll see a game that looks interesting from pr releases or metacritic and buy it. The only thing hardcore gamers are good for is posting guides and builds and helping the casuals when they go online to seek help. On this forum I see the same 20 people posting while their game will sell multiple millions. Their numbers won't be affected, gamers just don't care.

Don't get me wrong. This game will still be decline but that's not what effects sales.

Last edited:
add vampire to game
give him plot thing that removes all vampiric about him (except emo dialogue)

super design
If we are on the quest to remove the plot device, then I expect Vampire Spawn players to have to face the drawbacks of playing as one.

In before you learn to "control" it and use it for even more superpowers mid-game.
I already said this. I'm betting money and a pizza party that the PC in this game is going to be the Adversary, or some kind of play on it:

"When an illithid undergoes ceremorphosis, it can occasionally take on some elements of the absorbed host creature's former mind, such as mannerisms. This typically manifests as a minor personality feature, such as a nervous habit and/or reaction (e.g., nail-biting or tapping one's foot), although the process that determines the type and number of traits so inherited appears to be stochastic. An adult illithid has even been known to hum a tune that its host knew in life. Usually, when a mind flayer inherits a trait like this, it keeps it a closely guarded secret, because, were its peers to learn of it, the illithid in question would most likely be killed. This is due to an illithid legend of a being called the Adversary. The legend holds that, eventually, an illithid larva that undergoes ceremorphosis will take on the host's personality and memory in its entirety. This "Adversary" would, mind and soul, still be the host, but with all the inherent abilities of an illithid."

Reddit thread (yes I fucking know) on people using this for their campaigns: https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/2q1g7y/has_anyone_run_a_campaign_using_the_mindflayer/

This will be a way to give the PC psionic powers, allow them to get away with keeping their personality and memories, etc.
The Adversary is an already existing character though — Strom Wakeman. He's the canon character that wrote The Illithiad, he spread the rumor of The Adversary to make the mindflayers paranoid.
Well there are occurrences where mindflayers just go rogue and separate themselves from the hive-mind, maybe dude was running away both from his Bros and Gith, which is why he attacked city and grabbed bunch of random people in a hurry.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I've been reading very contrasting opinions when it comes to the size of the old games' fanbase. On one hand, there are those who claim they are a significant chunk of potential buyers, and possibly alienating them is not the best idea. On the other, I've read several opinion pieces arguing that they are a small, very vocal minority, and Larian Studios is making the correct choice in changing up the formula to fit a more modern audience.
They're going to play it either way.
They'll pretend they won't, they'll lie and say they never played it, but we all know they're going to play it the very first day it releases.
I will never play this game. On release date I will play the bhaalspawn saga then put 2000 hours into WOTR and never have time. There's too many games out there to waste my time on every random game that gets released. Definitely too many games out there to waste my time on this piece of shit.

Codex Year of the Donut
They'll pretend they won't, they'll lie and say they never played it, but we all know they're going to play it the very first day it releases.
I will never play this game. On release date I will play the bhaalspawn saga then put 2000 hours into WOTR and never have time. There's too many games out there to waste my time on every random game that gets released. Definitely too many games out there to waste my time on this piece of shit.
Infinitron whose alt is this

For someone who has such a tight schedule, you are spending quite a lot of time reading posts about the game you don't care about and have no time for.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
For someone who has such a tight schedule, you are spending quite a lot of time reading posts about the game you don't care about and have no time for.
Have to do something while I wait for my turn in wizardry 8...

Black

Arcane
If that mindflayer actually turns out to be Adversary, that closes all of the trailer's lore holes that people bitched about in this thread.
Codex keeps cutting words out entirely if you try to correct more than one letter mid-word on mobile. Very annoying.
Phoneplebes don't belong. If you can't truly commit to the Codex by sitting in front of a PC for several hours (years) you need to leave.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
If that mindflayer actually turns out to be Adversary, that closes all of the trailer's lore holes that people bitched about in this thread.
Codex keeps cutting words out entirely if you try to correct more than one letter mid-word on mobile. Very annoying.
Phoneplebes don't belong. If you can't truly commit to the Codex by sitting in front of a PC for several hours (years) you need to leave.
Maybe this is why they think I have too much time. It only takes 3 minutes for me to participate while I'm waiting for something else but they think I'm sitting in front of a computer the whole time.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Yeah imaging people bringing their nostalgia about Baldur's Gate in a game called Baldur's Gate 3. Totally unreasonable.

People can have as much nostalgia as they want. Lord knows I'm filled with nostalgia for tons of stuff. Difference is, I don't judge my newer games based on nostalgia for the older ones. The only thing that matters, at all, is how much I enjoy BG3 as its own game. The fact this is a divisive opinion is example 1,562 of humanity's tendency toward retardation.
This nostalgia argument is something I really dont like because many times it is used on an anti-intellectual way to shut up criticism or criticize things on the most lazy way possible, I've seen many times people edgy hating for hating sake claiming people had nostalgia for something they didnt like, of course not providing any interesting argument on the process and I've seen people that REALLY want to like something claiming the same thing, of course ignoring any need for arguments as well.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
add vampire to game
give him plot thing that removes all vampiric about him (except emo dialogue)

super design
If we are on the quest to remove the plot device, then I expect Vampire Spawn players to have to face the drawbacks of playing as one.

In before you learn to "control" it and use it for even more superpowers mid-game.
I already said this. I'm betting money and a pizza party that the PC in this game is going to be the Adversary, or some kind of play on it:

"When an illithid undergoes ceremorphosis, it can occasionally take on some elements of the absorbed host creature's former mind, such as mannerisms. This typically manifests as a minor personality feature, such as a nervous habit and/or reaction (e.g., nail-biting or tapping one's foot), although the process that determines the type and number of traits so inherited appears to be stochastic. An adult illithid has even been known to hum a tune that its host knew in life. Usually, when a mind flayer inherits a trait like this, it keeps it a closely guarded secret, because, were its peers to learn of it, the illithid in question would most likely be killed. This is due to an illithid legend of a being called the Adversary. The legend holds that, eventually, an illithid larva that undergoes ceremorphosis will take on the host's personality and memory in its entirety. This "Adversary" would, mind and soul, still be the host, but with all the inherent abilities of an illithid."

Reddit thread (yes I fucking know) on people using this for their campaigns: https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/2q1g7y/has_anyone_run_a_campaign_using_the_mindflayer/

This will be a way to give the PC psionic powers, allow them to get away with keeping their personality and memories, etc.
The Adversary is an already existing character though — Strom Wakeman. He's the canon character that wrote The Illithiad, he spread the rumor of The Adversary to make the mindflayers paranoid.
Well there are occurrences where mindflayers just go rogue and separate themselves from the hive-mind, maybe dude was running away both from his Bros and Gith, which is why he attacked city and grabbed bunch of random people in a hurry.

For example, mindflayers who decide to study magic are often exiled if not killed, e.g. Alhoons. But they are liches or proto-liches, which does not appear to be the case in the trailer.

I use PC for games and work only.

DeepOcean

Arcane
This Adversary thing, is this bullshit retcon from Wizards of the Coast for DOS 3... sorry.. I meant BG 3? Or is this old lore? I'm not an expert on Ilithid lore.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I only have high hopes for the gameplay and exploration, the writing is obviously made-up on the spot and going to be Tumblr-tier. I also rewatched some parts of the gameplay video right now and I think people are jumping to conclusions about the vampire being gay. He says he tried to seduce the noble to bring him to his master, you don't need to be gay to do that.

God forbid the character is gay might make codexers uncomfortable.
the issue is they are all gay

It's not even clear at this point whether Astarion is gay as his reference to that man was in the context of luring a victim to drink blood.

Regardless however there are far more interesting parameters to judge character writing besides sexuality but of course if you are a raging neckbeard you might be afraid to catch the gays if you are playing a video game in close proximity to a fictional one.

He is not gay unless you want him to be.

Larian has said that you can romance any character you want, aka player sexuality, just like DOS 2.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
This Adversary thing, is this bullshit retcon from Wizards of the Coast for DOS 3... sorry.. I meant BG 3? Or is this old lore? I'm not an expert on Ilithid lore.
The Adversary was there in the old 2e lore about Illithids. The Illithiad has a section on Illithids with personality fragments from their hosts and the Adversary bogeyman.

Codex Year of the Donut
The Adversary was there in the old 2e lore about Illithids. The Illithiad has a section on Illithids with personality fragments from their hosts and the Adversary bogeyman.
The Illithiad is written by that "bogeyman" :lol:

Codex Year of the Donut
I only have high hopes for the gameplay and exploration, the writing is obviously made-up on the spot and going to be Tumblr-tier. I also rewatched some parts of the gameplay video right now and I think people are jumping to conclusions about the vampire being gay. He says he tried to seduce the noble to bring him to his master, you don't need to be gay to do that.

God forbid the character is gay might make codexers uncomfortable.
the issue is they are all gay

It's not even clear at this point whether Astarion is gay as his reference to that man was in the context of luring a victim to drink blood.

Regardless however there are far more interesting parameters to judge character writing besides sexuality but of course if you are a raging neckbeard you might be afraid to catch the gays if you are playing a video game in close proximity to a fictional one.

He is not gay unless you want him to be.

Larian has said that you can romance any character you want, aka player sexuality, just like DOS 2.
I wasn't even aware D:OS2 had relations the first time I played through it. They did a good job avoiding the bioware scenario where every person immediately tries to have sex with you the first time you talk to them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom