Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
BG3 has almost already paid for itself in RTWP butthurt tears.

Hard to be upset when the one implementing it is the only major RPG developers that actually tries to innovate and push back the limits inherent to video game roleplaying.

My God yes I really felt the limits being pushed each time I picked up the next level’s suite of randomly generated items completely identical to the ones I got last level except with marginally higher stats. Such innovation!

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
There is TB and then there is TB.

A yawning gulf between Divinity fans and Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm and ToEE veterans.

The difference could be likened to that of Fallout and Oblivion With Guns, it's that stark in contrast.
False dichotomy. I like DOS2 and Fallout 1, but hate Oblivion and Fallout 3. ToEE is a mixed bag, excellent combat system, but terrible plot, and a combat system does not make a game by itself for me.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Moving the goalpost, Lilura.

No goalpost-moving at all. I responded to a specific question you asked.

Sure, merchants could use better security, such as having their wares tied to a locked storage, and that would be better. But it being lootable was by design.

Which is my point: it's a flaw that merchants are carrying everything, including the kitchen sink, on their person.

And calling others popamole while degeneratly farming non-hostiles for XP? Laughable. I bet it only works once per NPC defeated, which is fine, your degenerate behavior notwithstanding.

It's bugged to work twice. You should only get XP for kills on "final-moves", not beat-ups. And it's not degenerate behavior as it's ingrained into the design (the NPCs are even coded to comment that you beat them up).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

A yawning gulf between Divinity fans and Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm and ToEE veterans.

The difference could be likened to that of Fallout and Oblivion With Guns, it's that stark in contrast.
False dichotomy. I like DOS2 and Fallout 1, but hate Oblivion and Fallout 3. ToEE is a mixed bag, excellent combat system, but terrible plot, and a combat system does not make a game by itself for me.

You liked the “plot” of DivOS2 huh

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
combat system does not make a game by itself for me.

It's not just the combat system, though, is it. It's the ruleset employment (best ever), the strict itemization (+crafting), the party-based adventuring, the companion reactivity, the Greyhawk campaign setting, the embedded rules into the UI, and the combat encounter design. Not to mention the stunning aesthetics (secondary, but notable).

The game is a cult classic. And if those things aren't enough for you, you're a storyfag and thus irrelevant.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You should only get XP for kills on "final-moves", not beat-ups
Why? Defeating an enemy is defeating an enemy. Killing someone that is helpless shouldn't grant (additional) XP.

And it's not degenerate behavior as it's ingrained into the design (the NPCs are even coded to comment that you beat them up).
Farming NPCs for XP is degenerate behavior. Of course the NPCs comment on being beaten up, they're reactive. Getting into a fight with some is ok. But preventing farming would have required something such as making the camp unite and gang up on you when you beat up too many people in that camp. And then maybe kick you out.

But that's when as a designer you have to ask yourself: is the extra work worth it? The player that does this is clearly trying to exploit the game, do we prevent him from having his fun? Is it more fun that the whole camp turns on him and beats him up? (IMO it would but that is debatable)

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron

You liked the “plot” of DivOS2 huh
The overarching plot? It wasn't rebarbative. Moment to moment was ok, unlike ToEE.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Why? Defeating an enemy is defeating an enemy. Killing someone that is helpless shouldn't grant (additional) XP.

The point is, why even have the beat-up mechanic? It's not necessary, and adds nothing.

Farming NPCs for XP is degenerate behavior.

Not it's not, it's natural. You get +XP and +wealth for one beat-up, you're gonna go around beating up every asshole in the camp because there are no negative consequences.

Of course the NPCs comment on being beaten up, they're reactive.

That's a misuse of the word reactive. If they were reactive, they'd have more than just "Oh, you beat me up and took all my shit, you're tough!"

And yeah, the reactivity should have been factional, not individual. Some stray comes into the camp and starts attacking merchants in it, guards aren't gonna stand idly by and watch. Especially when the story/lore talks about the value of merchants, and ore (the currency).

(some do attack, but it's not consistent.)

Some "simulation" (as you call it)

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
BG3 has almost already paid for itself in RTWP butthurt tears.

Hard to be upset when the one implementing it is the only major RPG developers that actually tries to innovate and push back the limits inherent to video game roleplaying.

My God yes I really felt the limits being pushed each time I picked up the next level’s suite of randomly generated items completely identical to my the ones I got last level except with marginally higher stats. Such innovation!
Way to pick one of the non-innovative parts. Good job, attacking a strawman!

DOS1-2 games have done and tried things not many RPGs have: interactivity with in-game items, a narrator, third-person dialogue choices, ability to split the party, party PvP and doing quests on opposing sides, environmental surfaces interaction, spell / ability interaction and combos, "origins" as companions and playable characters, tag-based backgrounds and dialogue choices, etc.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron

The point is, why even have the beat-up mechanic? It's not necessary, and adds nothing.
Yeah, why don't we just kill people instead of sending them to prison IRL? Because people work that way, we don't kill for no reason. The game is trying to build a believable world.

Also, killing does have different consequences. Beating someone up and taking their stuff is viewed as acceptable, since the camps work by might makes right. But killing is going too far, and you'll be hunted if you do it.

Farming NPCs for XP is degenerate behavior.

Not it's not, it's natural. You get +XP and +wealth for one beat-up, you're gonna go around beating up every asshole in the camp because there are no negative consequences.

Of course the NPCs comment on being beaten up, they're reactive.

That's a misuse of the word reactive. If they were reactive, they'd have more than just "Oh, you beat me up and took all my shit, you're tough!"

And yeah, the reactivity should have been factional, not individual. Some stray comes into the camp and starts attacking merchants in it, guards aren't gonna stand idly by and watch. Especially when the story/lore talks about the value of merchants, and ore (the currency).

(some do attack, but it's not consistent.)

Some "simulation" (as you call it)
You clearly don't care about immersion and simualting a believable world, since you think farming NPCs for XP is normal. So why ask for more simulation?

There's no game that did it better than Gothic, even if its implementation could be better.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
TB combat is not a concern imo. I think it's probably the one great aspect about this so far, aside from Swen accidentally stabbing the female companion and saying shit at the live reveal

Generic-Giant-Spider

You know what pisses me off? Every forum I use to go on to talk about Baldur's Gate is now filled with people literally saying the old games suck. They're clearly not even Baldur's Gate fans. Sure some people excited for bg3 are fans but all I see are my old discussion spots being taken over by people literally calling them shit. This is what's wrong with Larian making a sequel to a 20 year old game and making it nothing like them. At least you people make your own threads to talk about bg3 and shit talk the original, I appreciate that.

What do you mean by "YOU PEOPLE?"

I'm just kidding. Yes, people shitting over BG1/BG2 to try and get hired by Larian by showing who can shill best annoy the shit out of me. This happens to many other game series' as well, though. It's just how the current retard culture works. If it's new it's automatically better, hence why EA Sports and Activision are still in business.

DraQ

Arcane
State of the medium:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/baldurs-gate-3/sex
"You can be a Halfling and bang all your companions in Baldur’s Gate 3"
aD1VX3K_460s.jpg
Is he charging his lazor or what?

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
You know what pisses me off? Every forum I use to go on to talk about Baldur's Gate is now filled with people literally saying the old games suck. They're clearly not even Baldur's Gate fans. Sure some people excited for bg3 are fans but all I see are my old discussion spots being taken over by people literally calling them shit. This is what's wrong with Larian making a sequel to a 20 year old game and making it nothing like them. At least you people make your own threads to talk about bg3 and shit talk the original, I appreciate that.

You don't have to think the old games suck to know time doesn't follow nostalgic angst.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The old games do not suck, they are the reasons many of us are here. But it's possible to be excited for BG3 without thinking the old games suck, you know?

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
modern romance npcs are made by chads
By a large margin, the most underrated poster here.
People who wanted a game identical to BG1/2 but new should check out this cool game called Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear.
This but unironically.
Am I the only cuck who had a good time on siege of dragonspear ?

Last edited:

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
modern romance npcs are made by chads
People who wanted a game identical to BG1/2 but new should check out this cool game called Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear.
This but unironically.

It had some great dungeon design and interesting use of the IE engine but lackluster to straight up awful writing.

combat system does not make a game by itself for me.

It's not just the combat system, though, is it. It's the ruleset employment (best ever), the strict itemization (+crafting), the party-based adventuring, the companion reactivity, the Greyhawk campaign setting, the embedded rules into the UI, and the combat encounter design. Not to mention the stunning aesthetics (secondary, but notable).

The game is a cult classic. And if those things aren't enough for you, you're a storyfag and thus irrelevant.
I just started playing ToEE like 2 days ago for the first time in like 10-12 years, using Temple+...is there no way to right click to get item/weapon descriptions? Seems like only description appears in dialogue box when you hover over item and right click just equips the item.

I have tried a bunch of other buttons too. I thought I recalled the game having more detailed item description menu, but I played it so long ago I could be not remembering right.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

This but unironically.

It had some great dungeon design and interesting use of the IE engine but lackluster to straight up awful writing.
Oh boy, are we rehabilitating SoD? Oh boy, oh boy :bounce:

This is not rehabilitation, I believe it was more or less consensus on release. Wanna weigh in Lilura ?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
This is not rehabilitation, I believe it was more or less consensus on release. Wanna weigh in Lilura ?

Not really, because I wrote a walkthrough for that fucker and don't want to say much more about it. I will say that aVENGER's combat encounter design IS good. We can hate on SoD and Beamdog all we like, but aVENGER is an IE modding legend.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
There's nothing to rehabilitate, I don't think most people gave a fuck about it in the first place.
PS : Let's not turn this into an off-topic debate. My point was merely that what rusty_shackleford ironically suggested, ie. if you're interested in actual bg gameplay, give a look to siege of dragonspear, is what I did back then and I'd suggest it unironically.
Simply put, if you really like bg traditional gameplay and haven't checked sod out, but still shitpost on larian's DOS/BG mix (mostly to mourn the gameplay, I assume), what the fuck is wrong with you ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom