Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Indeed, did 5E remove the concept of nonlethal damage?
Yeah, when you reduce someone's hp to 0 you get to decide if he dies or goes unconscious.

Dnd Gothic edition.
What problem do you have with Gothic's implementation of non-lethal combat? It's the only RPG with non-lethal, and the only one that takes the consequences of such possibilities into the game and into NPC reactions, as far as I know.

Any RPG that implements the choice between besting in combat and killing to such an extent is great incline. If there's no consequence to not killing someone when besting them vs killing them, then the concept of non-lethal damage is pointless, isn't it? What matters about it is the difference in consequences it opens up.

I have exactly 0 problems with Gothic's implementation of non-lethal combat. I am a big supporter of this mechanic. It's a great incline. I just entertained the idea of someone creating 5e being positively inspired by Gothic. I know that it's most likely an independent invention, but it's still fun to imagine that.

LabRat

Learned
vdxEqKP.png

Trickery Cleric but spell DC is 12, that mean her wisdom modifier only +2.

Codex Year of the Donut
Way to pick one of the non-innovative parts. Good job, attacking a strawman!

DOS1-2 games have done and tried things not many RPGs have: interactivity with in-game items, a narrator, third-person dialogue choices, ability to split the party, party PvP and doing quests on opposing sides, environmental surfaces interaction, spell / ability interaction and combos, "origins" as companions and playable characters, tag-based backgrounds and dialogue choices, etc.
Something not talked about a lot but is probably one of my favorite parts of DOS2 is how open-ended the quests are. They just give you a finish line and tell you to find your way there.
e.g., escaping Fort Joy. How many damn ways is there to complete that?
Second act you're basically told "go find someone to teach you how to source, noob". If I tried to map out the ways you can finish this it would end up looking like a massive maze.
Every time I replay the game I see different quest resolutions and entire quest chains I completely missed. Even if it's tiny details, like deciding to eat someone's head as an elf when I was supposed to turn the head in for a reward and it leads to a completely different path in the quest.

Nethack has the popular saying "the devteam thinks of everything", and D:OS2 is one of the few other (modern, anyways) games that feels the same way.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
vdxEqKP.png

translation: starting point allocation is shit.

melee attack +3 so str is 11-12
ranged attack +0 so, 6-7? dex??? that's not possibile with point buy.

wtf where they put the points?? charisma/int???

that's full retard point allocation for a cleric.

Last edited:

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Still, IMO, the Forgotten Realms setting is the worst D&D has to offer. My expectations on that aspect are low, but that wouldn't have changed if it was another dev, and Larian is taking it in an interesting direction already with the Illithids. Might not be shit.
Yea why does every D&D game have to go FR, the most defaultbland setting. Though at least the "descent to Avernus" part sounds mildly encouraging, might not be complete shit.

Also, if this does well, there's hoping Larian can do other D&D stuff. I think something like Eberron would suit their style a lot better.

Thunar

Educated
vdxEqKP.png

Clerics don't have str as proficiency so her strength is 16 to reach +3 unless she has magical weapons at lvl1.
Her dex is pathetic, I'll give you that.
Her spell dc is fine as a fighter bent cleric, at the end of the day she has a +4 for spells and she's going to get ability increases AND proficiency bonus increases every 3-4 levels anyways, so her DC is bound to increase, it's not like kobolds can reliably pass a 12 DC anyways.
Note that for ranged attack, they MIGHT put penalty without proficiency, it's a "home brewed" rule I use at my table all the time, though that's giving them too much credit.

Edit: Note the big shield that probably adds +2 ac... It's not that terrible of a build, it's actually more than you could hope for if you're strictly rolling random, like you should.

Last edited:

Ausdoerrt

Augur
You know what pisses me off? Every forum I use to go on to talk about Baldur's Gate is now filled with people literally saying the old games suck. They're clearly not even Baldur's Gate fans. Sure some people excited for bg3 are fans but all I see are my old discussion spots being taken over by people literally calling them shit. This is what's wrong with Larian making a sequel to a 20 year old game and making it nothing like them. At least you people make your own threads to talk about bg3 and shit talk the original, I appreciate that.
Partly the fault of the toxic whining idiots who made it so that no reasonable BG fan would want to identify with their group. This includes some active posters on the Codex, sadly.

For example, I reasonably like BG (prefer IWD), but I have half a brain to understand that RtwP is shit, and that the games, despite being classics, have their faults and bugs, so requesting a carbon copy for BG3 is inane.

Would have loved to have a real discussion on BG3, but that ship's across the galaxy by now.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I have exactly 0 problems with Gothic's implementation of non-lethal combat. I am a big supporter of this mechanic. It's a great incline. I just entertained the idea of someone creating 5e being positively inspired by Gothic. I know that it's most likely an independent invention, but it's still fun to imagine that.

And it makes sense. Most fights on arena historically speaking was until first blood, or first hit, not until death

Might & Magic also has interesting negative damage thresholds
- Unconscious
- Dead
- Eradicated

What makes no sense on 5e is that if the guys drops with -999hp, he can still recover. And damage taken = save falure, doesn't matter if is a one hit knife hit or a maximized chain lightning

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
the best part about this is that it reveals how dnd playing losers there are on this forum

play a real fucking system for once and abandon the garbage dnd ruleset please I beg you in the name of God

Thunar

Educated

And it makes sense. Most fights on arena historically speaking was until first blood, or first hit, not until death

Might & Magic also has interesting negative damage thresholds
- Unconscious
- Dead
- Eradicated

What makes no sense on 5e is that if the guys drops with -999hp, he can still recover. And damage taken = save falure, doesn't matter if is a one hit knife hit or a maximized chain lightning

That's not true, if the total negative damage is bigger than their total hp, they just fall dead with no death saves or anything.
Crits also count for 2 save failures.

Codex Year of the Donut
Still, IMO, the Forgotten Realms setting is the worst D&D has to offer. My expectations on that aspect are low, but that wouldn't have changed if it was another dev, and Larian is taking it in an interesting direction already with the Illithids. Might not be shit.
Yea why does every D&D game have to go FR, the most defaultbland setting. Though at least the "descent to Avernus" part sounds mildly encouraging, might not be complete shit.

Also, if this does well, there's hoping Larian can do other D&D stuff. I think something like Eberron would suit their style a lot better.
FR is like 20 settings smashed together to make a horrible frankenstein monster.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
vdxEqKP.png

Clerics don't have str as proficiency so her strength is 16 to reach +3 unless she has magical weapons at lvl1.
Her dex is pathetic, I'll give you that.
Her spell dc is fine as a fighter bent cleric, at the end of the day she has a +4 for spells and she's going to get ability increases AND proficiency bonus increases every 3-4 levels anyways, so her DC is bound to increase, it's not like kobolds can reliably pass a 12 DC anyways.
Note that for ranged attack, they MIGHT put penalty without proficiency, it's a "home brewed" rule I use at my table all the time, though that's giving them too much credit.
There's no "proficiency in strength" in 5E unless you're talking about Strength saving throws. Melee attacks are str+weapon proficiency, and as a cleric she should definitely be proficient in that mace she's wielding. The +0 ranged attack could mean a dex modifier of 0 and no proficient ranged weapon equipped. Now I understand why that lady at the gameplay reveal presentation was so eager to ask if companions could be respecc'ed, she must have noticed these terrible builds before we did.

Thunar

Educated
There's no "proficiency in strength" in 5E unless you're talking about Strength saving throws. Melee attacks are str+weapon proficiency, and as a cleric she should definitely be proficient in that mace she's wielding. The +0 ranged attack could mean a dex modifier of 0 and no proficient ranged weapon equipped. Now I understand why that lady at the gameplay reveal presentation was so eager to ask if companions could be respecc'ed, she must have noticed these terrible builds before we did.

That's true, my bad.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

DOS1-2 games have done and tried things not many RPGs have: interactivity with in-game items, a narrator, third-person dialogue choices, ability to split the party, party PvP and doing quests on opposing sides, environmental surfaces interaction, spell / ability interaction and combos, "origins" as companions and playable characters, tag-based backgrounds and dialogue choices, etc.
Something not talked about a lot but is probably one of my favorite parts of DOS2 is how open-ended the quests are. They just give you a finish line and tell you to find your way there.
Second act you're basically told "go find someone to teach you how to source, noob". If I tried to map out the ways you can finish this it would end up looking like a massive maze.
Every time I replay the game I see different quest resolutions and entire quest chains I completely missed. Even if it's tiny details, like deciding to eat someone's head as an elf when I was supposed to turn the head in for a reward and it leads to a completely different path in the quest.

Nethack has the popular saying "the devteam thinks of everything", and D:OS2 is one of the few other (modern, anyways) games that feels the same way.
Yup. I still think divinity's open endedness and some part of combat system are masterpiece.

Shame some technical decision dragged down the whole game.

-item level scaling (it's not even the randomized style but the fact every item that spawn is automatically at your level, and ironically actual unique weapons spawn at lower levels that is basically obselete)

-the hard resistance of the armor system (dos 2 only and its moddable anyway)

-dumb initiative system. Too bad it seems to be hard coded. So dumb to give the side with less member more turn.

The 3 main anti pillar of the game.

Codex Year of the Donut

Yup. I still think divinity's open endedness and some part of combat system are masterpiece.

Shame some technical decision dragged down the whole game.

-item level scaling (it's not even the randomized style but the fact every item that spawn is automatically at your level, and ironically actual unique weapons spawn at lower levels that is basically obselete)

-the hard resistance of the armor system (dos 2 only and its moddable anyway)

-dumb initiative system. Too bad it seems to be hard coded. So dumb to give the side with less member more turn.

The 3 main anti pillar of the game.
The inventory UI is pretty shit too. I think the DE fixed it up a bit but it's still not that great. I feel like this is considered a minor complaint by developers but I spend a lot of time in my inventory when playing a CRPG and it's a pretty big fucking deal if it's difficult to use.
I don't think any of these are big enough to detract from it being one of my favorite games.
but the fact every item that spawn is automatically at your level,
This isn't true, btw. Lower level areas will drop lower level gear no matter your level, same with higher level areas dropping higher level gear.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
DOS2 has a lot of problems

• Cooldowns
  • Bows with 13m range
  • Wow style endless number inflation on gear
  • Nothing epic to be learned. IS not like gothic 1/2 where when you get a new spell circle, a lot of opportunities open and if you are focused on melee, getting the Uriziel or Beliar's Claw is a HUGE progression.
  • Dumb initiative system
  • Dumb armor system
  • Too much focus gimmicky environmental puzzles
  • Extremely slow animations that makes even trash encounters takes eternities
Some of D2 problems are part of BG3(range of bows and the slow animations) but lets hope that they will not make it into another dos clone...

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

More slave labour

Why is that lady in the front bending over? How freaking hard is it for nerds to look at least a little bit photogenic? It looks like they're all afraid of each other's personal space (except for the kneeling duo) and they could have all easily fit into the shot without making a second row.

Luzur

Good Sir

More slave labour

Why is that lady in the front bending over? How freaking hard is it for nerds to look at least a little bit photogenic? It looks like they're all afraid of each other's personal space (except for the kneeling duo) and they could have all easily fit into the shot without making a second row.

she is prob still stuck on his dick since the quickie in the toilet

also that kneeling pair...things :roll: XD

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom