Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

I played with IR through BG 1 and it completely whacked balance there..........Mod is also abandoned by original creator and EE install requires branched out version with a lot of changes according to a new creator tastes.

I wasn't aware of that. I think the last version I used was V3, when I did my last play through in 2014-2015. Certainly not since the EEs have come out. I'll have to check those changes out. This isn't the first mod that has taken a dive since the EEs were released. I'll need to maintain my older iterations like treasures.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, boys, all this BG3 shit made me want to replay the originals since i haven't touched them in ages.

Going to start with the first one, EE to check it out at least once to see if it's worth keeping around.

Here's the list of mods i'd like to install, but i can't find much info on install order for some of those:

BG1 NPC Project
Unfinished Business
Mini Quests and Encounters
Tweaks Anthology
Sword Coast Stratagems

Optional not sure if needed:

Journal Fixer
Free Action Override
Wand Case Mod

And then of course:

BGEE Classic Movies
Convenient Enhanced Edition NPCs (to remove the faggy new NPCs)
Lefreut's Enhanced UI (only comes with the BG2 skin, not sure why the author never made a version with the original stone skin of BG1. Still, i heard the UI of the EE is a pile of shit so i guess it's better than nothing).

I also need some mod that allows me to level up NPCs as i please or kit them if i want to. I remember there being a mod like that in the original, i see several for the EE not sure which one to pick.

And, i think that's it, unless you guys would like to recommend anything else. I just need an install order for all of the above and i'm set i think.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, do i HAVE to play Siege of Dragonshit? I'm confused how this work i'd like to play it separately at my leisure when i feel like it, i don't want it to show up at any point in my game, not just because it's shit and doesn't fit but also because i'm going to assume it's going to fuck up BG2 with all the extra XP you get, since as i understand the events of this thing occur between BG1 and BG2.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Well, boys, all this BG3 shit made me want to replay the originals since i haven't touched them in ages.

Here's the list of mods i'd like to install, but i can't find much info on install order for some of those:
Big Picture manages the install order for you and also manages any conflicts for you.

And, i think that's it, unless you guys would like to recommend anything else.
Finch, and Animal Companion (if you play Ranger or Druid)

There are some fixpacks that are necessary, just follow Big Picture.

Siege of Dragonspear is a module that starts after BG1. Just export your character if you want to import into BG2 directly.[/quote]

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Lyric Suite EET, Tweaks Anthology, EET Tweaks and Sword Coast Stratagems are your most important mods. From there on out everything is optional. There's a list of EET compatible mods here:

http://eetcompatiblemods.baldursextendedworld.com/

My most recent modlist is here. Though this was over a year ago and in retrospect I wouldn't recommend Spell Revisions or Neera Expansion, the latter because all three EE companions are utter dogshit. I also use Item Randomiser which you won't need unless like me you know the location of every item.

Pre-install order:

A) Install BG:EE and BG2:EE
B) Modmerge Tool

Install Order:

1) BG1 NPC Project
2) BG1 NPC Project Music Pack
3) BG1 Unfinished Business
4) Neera Expansion

5) EET
6) EET_end
7) EET Fixpack
8) EEUITweaks User Interface Mods Collection

9) Baldur's Gate Graphics Overhaul for EET
10) Banter Packs
11) EETMoveItemsSoA
12) Reveal Hidden Gameplay Options
13) SoD Banter Restoration
14) The Minotaur and Lilacor
15) The Wheels of Prophecy
16) Unfinished Business
17) Spell Revisions
18) EET Tweaks
19) Tweak Anthology
20) SCS
21) Item Randomiser

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Like Jason says, though, you can have Big Picture manage your install for you if it's updated.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
BTW, do i HAVE to play Siege of Dragonshit? I'm confused how this work i'd like to play it separately at my leisure when i feel like it, i don't want it to show up at any point in my game, not just because it's shit and doesn't fit but also because i'm going to assume it's going to fuck up BG2 with all the extra XP you get, since as i understand the events of this thing occur between BG1 and BG2.

I mean, you can skip it if you want to, but any BG fan should at least experience it once, and it's more superflous and mediocre than downright bad. If you run EET you won't have to worry about how anything "works" after the install - you'll be playing from BG1 on right down through ToB without installing anything else.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I would skip the NPC project unless you really really like interjections and amateur writing. In a similar vein, most of unfinished business is banal and feels like filler. It’s been a while but I recall several of the components are decent.

After two decades of modding BG/IE games, I’m increasingly convinced that less is more.

Parabalus

Arcane

I mean, you can skip it if you want to, but any BG fan should at least experience it once, and it's more superflous and mediocre than downright bad. If you run EET you won't have to worry about how anything "works" after the install - you'll be playing from BG1 on right down through ToB without installing anything else.

SoD is worth checking out at least once, the encounters and itemisation is good.

If the cringe becomes too much you can always bail out straight to BG2.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I would skip the NPC project unless you really really like interjections and amateur writing. In a similar vein, most of unfinished business is banal and feels like filler. It’s been a while but I recall several of the components are decent.

After two decades of modding BG/IE games, I’m increasingly convinced that less is more.

I agree with the latter and don't use that many content mods myself as you can see. But as far as NPC projects go, BG1 NPC Project is definetely one of the better ones. Even the romances aren't as all-out cringe as you'd imagine (though they certainly are cringe).

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

The latter statement is correct, but the writing of BG1 NPC Project is far far far far away from being "poor" or "not on par" with the game. Most of the mod's quests are wonderful and fit perfectly into the world of Baldur's Gate, giving the already interesting companions of BG some really nice and heartful back-stories (Tiax's quest here being the absolute highlight).

agris

Arcane
Patron
Grunker it is certainly up to personal taste; personally I can’t stand the focus on relationships and emotional engagement with companions in games. It’s done so poorly and with daytime soap-like twists and turns that I would rather not voluntarily expose myself to amateurs trying their hand at it when the developers themselves shit the bed so consistently.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Grunker it is certainly up to personal taste; personally I can’t stand the focus on relationships and emotional engagement with companions in games. It’s done so poorly and with daytime soap-like twists and turns that I would rather not voluntarily expose myself to amateurs trying their hand at it when the developers themselves shit the bed so consistently.

gives the game some flave, bruv. GETS THE PEOPLE GOING

Delterius

Arcane

I agree with the latter and don't use that many content mods myself as you can see. But as far as NPC projects go, BG1 NPC Project is definetely one of the better ones. Even the romances aren't as all-out cringe as you'd imagine (though they certainly are cringe).
from the man who praised saerileth mod

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

from the man who praised saerileth mod

*the boy. And, to be fair, I was heavily into cocaine at the time

octavius

Arcane
Patron
For BG1 NPC Project I heartily recommend ditching Iomen and using Xzar&Monty. No romances and muh feelings, and I think they have more quests/special encounters than any of the other companions. Kivan is very emo until you tell him to shut up, but has some interesting encounters.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
For BG1 NPC Project I heartily recommend ditching Iomen and using Xzar&Monty. No romances and muh feelings, and I think they have more quests/special encounters than any of the other companions. Kivan is very emo until you tell him to shut up, but has some interesting encounters.

Well, there is a reason why Kivan has a Charisma score of 8, eh? ;)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Well, there is a reason why Kivan has a Charisma score of 8, eh? ;)

It's because he is a misanthrope. Always pictured him as a Clint Eastwood kind of character, and elf with no name, i'm amazed they went for whiny bitch in the banter mod.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, i tried EET at some point, but it didn't have the original movies mod or the remove nuNPCs mods. I just checked and it still doesn't. Why?

The others, Big World and Big Picture seems to have been abandoned.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Though this was over a year ago and in retrospect I wouldn't recommend Spell Revisions or Neera Expansion

Yeah, not the least because i want to yank the whole character out of the game altogether.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
BTW, i tried EET at some point, but it didn't have the original movies mod or the remove nuNPCs mods. I just checked and it still doesn't. Why?

The others, Big World and Big Picture seems to have been abandoned.

no fucking clue man, sorry. You sure those features aren’t rolled into EETTweaks or something? I’d put the functionality of EET above those things though, can always just murder the EET NPCs when you meet’em.

as for Big World and Big Picture, I do recall reading a thread that seemed like the beginning of the end. With your amount of moss though, just going the old weidu road shouldn’t be any problem at all

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Lyric Suite, you don't need to use any of those fancy mod managers. Just read the Readme's of all the mods you want to install and you should be able to piece together a good, bug-free mod install order. SCS's Readme in particular has a good section on this.

Also, as long as you don't install Siege of Dragonspear, you don't need to install the Modmerge Tool Grunker mentioned last page.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom