Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games for people with depression

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Men,

I suffer from major depression but I like to play video games. What are some games that will cater to my depressive sensibilities while making me feel like life isn't so worthless after all?

Norfleet

I suggest you go play NYSE instead.

Playing video games isn't going to do anything for your "depression". I don't even think you're actually depressed, your perception that your life is worthless is probably accurate and you feel worthless simply because you are. Go find something productive to do with your life instead, like, I dunno, buying up stocks in all those companies that are taking a dive because of the entire coronavirus thing.

One of two things will happen: You'll succeed, and then you won't feel "depressed" because you will no longer be a broke, worthless sack of shit, or you'll go even more broke, at which point you can now have an actual justified reason to kill yourself for being the utter failure you are.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath

Playing video games isn't going to do anything for your "depression". I don't even think you're actually depressed, your perception that your life is worthless is probably accurate and you feel worthless simply because you are. Go find something productive to do with your life instead, like, I dunno, buying up stocks in all those companies that are taking a dive because of the entire coronavirus thing.

One of two things will happen: You'll succeed, and then you won't feel "depressed" because you will no longer be a broke, worthless sack of shit, or you'll go even more broke, at which point you can now have an actual justified reason to kill yourself for being the utter failure you are.
Fuck you bro, you know nothing about me or my life. I hope someone shits in your cheerios.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Anacronox - main char is pretty depressed for most of the game. Has a nice arc to his story. Good game all around.
Witcher - Gerald isn't exactly a cheery guy. Somber, brooding, lots of his friends are dead, missing, or betraying him. Except that Dwarf, Milton Bradly. He's ok.
Planescape: Torment. Create a character like yourself, answer the questions as you would answer them. When you get to Curst, contemplate how, just like in real life, your decisions led you to be Chaotic Neutral, how you didn't bother joining a faction, and how you trusted the skull even when specifically told not to

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Men,

I suffer from major depression but I like to play video games. What are some games that will cater to my depressive sensibilities while making me feel like life isn't so worthless after all?
22188-alter-ego-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg
22189-alter-ego-commodore-64-back-cover.jpg

Alter Ego, a revolutionary CRPG Choose-Your-Own-Adventure person simulator game from 1986, now available for free.

309183-alter-ego-browser-screenshot-outcome-of-your-first-decision.png
309197-alter-ego-browser-screenshot-new-nodes-to-visit-education.png

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Games could boost your adrenaline only temporarily. My advice is to schedule you life with fitness and variety of body workouts. That helped me a lot in the long term.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Men,

Not sure what you're looking for, exactly, but some players have written to me saying that Primordia helped them with their depression. I think of it as a hopeful but melancholy game -- it celebrates not giving in to despair in the face of doom, not because the doom can be averted, but because decency and dignity are worth preserving even in the face of annihilation.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Bold of you to expose your cretinism for all to see, like a baboon proudly baring its buttocks

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Bold of you to expose your cretinism for all to see, like a baboon proudly baring its buttocks

It's the codex way

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
If you can (and if you are not doing that already), I would suggest you to do some sport or physical activity and THEN play some games. In this case the choice of the game really doesn't matter too much (avoid modern games however, they are engineered to make you addicted, and this is not good if you are depressed).

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Playing games is probably the worst activity if you are depressed. You delay the pain. Don't.

Meet with a professional, get out and get some light, work out, eat healthy and stay hydrated. Talk to people about your feelings.

Never isolate yourself.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Playing games is probably the worst activity if you are depressed. You delay the pain. Don't.

Meet with a professional, get out and get some light, work out, eat healthy and stay hydrated. Talk to people about your feelings.

Never isolate yourself.

Wow, the amount of assumptions in your post about gaming is pretty heavy

Beastro

Arcane

Never isolate yourself.

But they can do that.

If you're stuck inside because you're playing too much it can't help but impact your well being.

They have their place, but he has valid points. About the worst you can do is get stuck in finding meaning and advancement in them as you will always be disappointed once the game is done.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Never isolate yourself.

I've been gaming like 28 years of my life, bromo. I've dealt with depression before, and let me tell you, games didn't fucking make it better, just worse. Escapism is never the answer, when you got debilitating issues in your life.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom