Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games for people with depression

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Lots of suggestions here are games about depression. But is that really a good idea when you are suffering from depression yourself? Wouldn't it be more useful to play some puzzle games to keep your mind busy?

No.

you do not exit depression by hug boxes. You escape it by confronting your errors and accepting them.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Games for people with depression. Without reading the thread I can sense DEPRESSION QUEST being mentioned. Playing games will likely not solve your depression problem which is likely something else already mentioned. I know one thing that is not mentioned. Games that I have played when depressed.

I don't play games when I am depressed. Not doing things you like is symptom of depression.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Games for people with depression. Without reading the thread I can sense DEPRESSION QUEST being mentioned.

It wasn't but if you say so

215f390e690efddd448077b1d7666b79.png

oh, by the way, Night In The Woods is a great game for coping with depression.
RIP Alec

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Games for people with depression?!

Jesus Fucking Christ, there are no games for people with depression.

If there was one it would be called "go outside". If you are too weak to do that and want to simulate it in your computer maybe you can play Hunter Classic / Call of the Wild, or Stranded Deep. Maybe for a few hours this will make you feel better with the illusion of outdoor activity.

If you just want to waste your life forever, play Football Manager or War in the Pacific.

If you want to do something against your depression, do not play games and do not stay inside the house.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I would play something campy with interesting companions you can bond with.

Pathfinder Kingmaker, Dragon Quest 11, Persona 5

Oh and of course Gothic. Gothic always makes me happy.

I wouldn't know, but I read some depression is biology-based and properly dealt with (shug some pills) not a big problem (if you have proper medicare)

As for escapism, everything can be. Even sports can be escapism if you use it to not deal with your problems. Games isn't unique in that and the time when only a certain type of person played games has long been past, these days almost everybody games to one degree or another

Proper nutrition + sun + physical exercise will help you more than psychotropics, but its hard to get your ass up to do something about that when you are depressed.

Alphons

Cipher
Hope you get through it man.

I'd go with puzzles/ point&clicks, as it helps to occupy your thoughts.
Some good ones:
  • Gabriel Knight
  • Monkey Island
  • Talos Principle
I've seen Cat Lady and I have no mouth mentioned- they're pretty bleak, but getting good ending is very rewarding.

Dramart

Learned
Dark Souls, Silent Hill, Chrono Trigger. But it would be better if you try to find the reasons, causes, and think about why are you depressed, and try to fix those problems. You have my support :mixedemotions:

Black Angel

Arcane
There were times where I didn't even FEEL LIKE playing games, and it's right now. If I think about it deeply, I guess I'm in some sort of depression where I just can't start a game, which makes it even worse.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I think humans chase too long after things that once made them happy. They felt great the first time they saw a certain movie or when they played the first game of a certain type, so they keep repeating those same things for 20 years and wonder why they feel emptier every time. Often after decades you realize the things you do no longer mean anything to you now, and it would have been time to find something new long ago.

Life just doesn't work as people believe, happiness cannot be bought and consumed. Things are just exciting the first times you do them. If you do the same things too often, you won't be able to enjoy them any more. If you spent 10 years just masturbating, looking at the screen and drinking red bull, you are not too depressed to start a game, but just bored and emaciated. the things you need are not games, but food, outdoor activity and social activity.

Reinhardt

Arcane
There were times where I didn't even FEEL LIKE playing games, and it's right now. If I think about it deeply, I guess I'm in some sort of depression where I just can't start a game, which makes it even worse.

Try to make Codex LP.

Glad that codex does not take psychological issues lightly. In the age of even more technological advancements it is crucial to come back to your roots and spend some time with friends and family that value you, your church and in nature. My recommendations can be only as general as possible because of not knowing your exact kind of depression (and if it is endogenic) - doing things you like, being in sunlight, not going to bed too late and waking up early, stretching and/or exercise, eating more sun seeds, salmon and bananas, possibly attending therapies (natural herbal remedies can be good for treating these disorders), going help someone (as in charity for example) or growing a plant.

Cancel out things that make you feel bad - politics, SJW stuff, whatever. Spirit always suffers when body is too disconnected from the mind. Moderation is key.

As for games - when feeling down, I like to play games that I consider best of them all - Fallout 1, Thief, System Shock, etc...

I have a special but childish and retarded recommendation for you - LocoRoco for PSP (you can download PPPSSPPP emulator). Seriously, it is contagiously optimistic.

But you will go through, don't worry.

Norfleet

That really reminds me: The problem with people and their DEPRESSION these days is that they don't have proper ENEMIES anymore. Naturally, they are depressed and their life lacks meaning, because they have no hated enemies to strive against. Solution: Get an enemy, and dedicate your life to ruining theirs.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
That really reminds me: The problem with people and their DEPRESSION these days is that they don't have proper ENEMIES anymore. Naturally, they are depressed and their life lacks meaning, because they have no hated enemies to strive against. Solution: Get an enemy, and dedicate your life to ruining theirs.

Capitalism is the enemy of us all, comrade.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I would urge you not to play games in your condition.

But, if you must: Play something that can be played in multiplayer casually, such as Rocket League, or cooperatively, like Warframe (which I haven't personally played but keep hearing good things about).

If you want to play something single-player, NieR: Automata.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom