Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
n order for shame to work, the person has to care about your opinion. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest nobody gives a fat fuck about yours.
i'm amongst the most influential people on this website

1) If this is true, I'm not sure you should be bragging about it. This is like winning a gold medal in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.
2) Lucky for you this is probably not true. Because prior to this thread I'd never heard of you, or your shit opinions.

Delicieuxz

Cipher
He didn't even dare add that Baldur's Gate has specifically RTwP combat - because, of course, Larian's "BG3" doesn't.
your opinion on anything is shit

It's not my opinion that Walgrave described Larian's D&D game as a successor to the BG series because "It's still a party-based game, you still need to do combat, you will recognise a lot of D&D rules". If all it takes to be a successor to another game is to have something as vague as "you still need to do combat", then most games are successors to most previously-released games of any title. It would make more sense for Walgrave to have touted that their D&D RPG is a successor because it will have the same type of combat as the BG series. But, of course, he couldn't make that claim.

Last edited:

Molina

Savant
https://jv.jeuxonline.info/actualit...-imbert-senior-designer-combats-baldur-gate-3
Edouard Imbert, senior designer and main combat designer :

How do you reconcile the nostalgia of Baldur's Gate fans with the need to modernise the formula?
First of all, you have the basic question: do we do real time with a pause or do we go round by round? I'm a critic of real time with pause because I remember my Baldur's Gate games and I look at what they did recently with Pillars of Eternity: it's a mess, pause, you give three orders, you stop the pause, it's a mess. I don't like that at all. I'm convinced it's something that's playing against us, that's preventing us from attracting new players. What I like about the turn-by-turn is that the "it's yours, it's mine, it's yours" side of it, everyone understands that.

What I want to do, apart from the mechanics, is to have references to the old Baldur's Gate, so that "it rhymes" as Georges Lucas said. Nevertheless, you still have to realize that it has aged. The tone has aged, the mechanics have aged. We have to modernize, we have to simplify. Anyway, we follow the rules of the 5th edition of Dungeons and Dragons, which is still much more accessible I think. So, how do you modernize with that in mind? I think we can make references to the scenario, we can go through known places, maybe find characters, but I think that this will happen mostly at the level of the universe and the scenario as well as at the level of the tone more than in the mechanics, which, for their part, need to be modernized.

Codex Year of the Donut
He didn't even dare add that Baldur's Gate has specifically RTwP combat - because, of course, Larian's "BG3" doesn't.
your opinion on anything is shit

It's not my opinion that Walgrave described Larian's D&D game as a successor to the BG series because "It's still a party-based game, you still need to do combat, you will recognise a lot of D&D rules". If all it takes to be a successor to another game is to have something as vague as "you stil need to do combat", then most games are successors to most previously-released games of any title. It would make more sense for Walgrave to have touted that their D&D RPG is a successor because it will have the same type of combat as the BG series. But, of course, he couldn't make that claim.
It's a successor because WotC is tired of releasing dumpsterfire video games so they licensed their IP to a breakout RPG company that recently developed a very well received/high selling RPG to make a game under the same brand as the last D&D game that wasn't shit.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Calling turn based modernizing is hilarious considering it's been around way longer than rtwp. That just sounds like corporate bullshit speak to me.

Dramart

Learned
https://jv.jeuxonline.info/actualit...-imbert-senior-designer-combats-baldur-gate-3

How do you reconcile the nostalgia of Baldur's Gate fans with the need to modernise the formula?
First of all, you have the basic question: do we do real time with a pause or do we go round by round? I'm a critic of real time with pause because I remember my Baldur's Gate games and I look at what they did recently with Pillars of Eternity: it's a mess, pause, you give three orders, you stop the pause, it's a mess. I don't like that at all. I'm convinced it's something that's playing against us, that's preventing us from attracting new players. What I like about the turn-by-turn is that the "it's yours, it's mine, it's yours" side of it, everyone understands that.

What I want to do, apart from the mechanics, is to have references to the old Baldur's Gate, so that "it rhymes" as Georges Lucas said. Nevertheless, you still have to realize that it has aged. The tone has aged, the mechanics have aged. We have to modernize, we have to simplify. Anyway, we follow the rules of the 5th edition of Dungeons and Dragons, which is still much more accessible I think. So, how do you modernize with that in mind? I think we can make references to the scenario, we can go through known places, maybe find characters, but I think that this will happen mostly at the level of the universe and the scenario as well as at the level of the tone more than in the mechanics, which, for their part, need to be modernized.
So they gonna change everything, the tone, the mechanics. They hate RTwp, they hate Baldur's Gate. Everything ot attract more players, it's all about the bills.

Molina

Savant

So they gonna change everything, the tone, the mechanics. They hate RTwp, they hate Baldur's Gate. Everything ot attract more players, it's all about the bills.
The guy hasn't played BG in 20 years. What did you expect...

mondblut

Arcane

Never in my life I would have thought that becoming turn-based would someday mean "modernizing" and "going along with times".

The fuckers are about to make TB uncool.

Molina

Savant

Never in my life I would have thought that becoming turn-based would someday mean "modernizing" and "going along with times".

The fuckers are about to make TB uncool.
All reddit and all resetera prefer TB.

Dramart

Learned

What? He says he likes more turn-based and think the RTwP is shit. He just hated the old game.

pinotto

Literate
it's not about modern mechanics, but about modern taste
There are a lot of successfull games with TB combat, while there is almost no hyped RTWP game

Codex Year of the Donut

What? He says he likes more turn-based and think the RTwP is shit. He just hated the old game.
rtwp is garbage

Thunar

Educated
This thread just keeps on giving, the moment you forget about it, you get 10 pages filled with the most exquisite retardation.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I guess the people that wanted BG3 to be RTwP would have been happier if Beamdog landed the license.

If they are going to give us Beamdog writing what's the difference?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom