Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadenuat

Arcane
stupid AI would trigger and the ranged attacker would've followed her behind the statue and get into melee range where he would provoke attacks of opportunity at each ranged attack at -4 penalty due to being point blank.
or AI can be not stupid and switch targets.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
The codex rpg list proves it. Bg haters now have to either admit that the setting, story and characters are good or the combat is good. Both of which they've been shit talking ever since bg3 was announced.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's funny, how people here hates RTwP, but in the same time they have 2 RTwP-games in the top-3 of Codex RPGs list (and even first place is not TB). How do you live with that? This is probably painful. It's like to be minority in your own country.

16928.jpg
Imagine being able to criticize something you like. U N B E A L I E V A B L E

Codex Year of the Donut
before you know it, BG3 won't let druid/fighters wear plate armor.
Maybe, but it will let us to throw boots, anime jumping and dipping stuff instead. Closeness degree to the source material remains to be seen.
Allowing something explicitly forbidden by the rules is an obvious issue, especially when it's a pretty darn important restriction of said class. Allowing something that would be open for discussion with a DM is not an issue — it's a part of playing D&D and encouraged.
e.g., throwing your shoe.
s5Rmlwn.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
While their whole team chases you and gets a couple free attacks of opportunity. All because you're afraid of some guy too pussy to use a sword and too stupid to use magic.
Having attacks of opportunity in a RTwP game is counter to the only "advantage" RTwP has over TB anyway - free movement. Might as well go TB. You wouldn't be in this situation in a RTwP game, though, you just lure mobs behind the corner.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The codex rpg list proves it. Bg haters now have to either admit that the setting, story and characters are good or the combat is good. Both of which they've been shit talking ever since bg3 was announced.
Setting, story and characters are good.
Combat is good.

You can actually recognize the presence of flaws even in a thing you like, you know?

Boomer_007

Novice
They are good despite the RTwP, not because of it.

So, basically it's means that combat system is not so important for the great RPG and it's not the main issue. But you are arguing so much about it, it's like TB can vastly improve something (but it's even not enough for the first place in some top). I can understand fans of the original games, who have sentiments for this RTwP combat-system, but what profit you can get from shitty game with TB-combat? This is not a panacea for all diseases.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Why are you faggots still arguing about TB vs RTWP. Does it not get boring? None of my problems with this game come from TB vs RTWP, I couldn't give a shit less, either way is fine by me, though I have a slight preference towards TB.

What bothers me is everything else about the game. The goofy animations, the copy-pasted graphics from DOS2, the shit writing, the shit dialogue, party limit of 4, origin character system from DOS (discourages you from creating your own character and instead to play as one of said origin characters so as not to miss content), having nothing to do with the original BG1&2 and being a shameless nostalgia-baiting cash grab made by people who have all but outright said they hate the original BG games.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
While their whole team chases you and gets a couple free attacks of opportunity. All because you're afraid of some guy too pussy to use a sword and too stupid to use magic.
Having attacks of opportunity in a RTwP game is counter to the only "advantage" RTwP has over TB anyway - free movement. Might as well go TB. You wouldn't be in this situation in a RTwP game, though, you just lure mobs behind the corner.
This is a ridiculous claim. Free movement doesn't mean no consequences of movement. AoO had been in rtwp games and it's worked great.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
This is a ridiculous claim. Free movement doesn't mean no consequences of movement. AoO had been in rtwp games and it's worked great.
Sensuki

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I wouldn't exactly call it "working great", just ask Sensuki, and it's either free movement or it has consequences, it can't be both at the same time.

They are good despite the RTwP, not because of it.

So, basically it's means that combat system is not so important for the great RPG and it's not the main issue. But you are arguing so much about it, it's like TB can vastly improve something (but it's even not enough for the first place in some top). I can understand fans of the original games, who have sentiments for this RTwP combat-system, but what profit you can get from shitty game with TB-combat? This is not a panacea for all diseases.
My point is that Different people like different things in RPGs, but most like character customization and story, and for those people it's way easier to play RTwP, because all you need to do to beat RTwP game, is looking up effective builds and right-clicking through most fights. There is only 2 games where RTwP combat is the main strength of the game- Icewing Dale and Kingmaker, while with TB that number goes up to dozens.

hell bovine

Arcane
Sven wouldn't say whether you'd be able to modify Companion stats but I'd assume so at least for your main dude
I think he said in the video that you'd be able to change their stats, but not their class? Which would make sense if there are mentions of it in the dialogue.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I liked RTWP for trash mobs and didn’t like it for mage battles and so on. Those and the occasional party vs party fights were still the best parts of BG2 combat but would have been better with TB.

Simple solution, eliminate trash mobs.

As for this game, I don’t get all the fuss. Of course 20 years, 3 editions of D&D, new company, and incalculable culture changes later this wasn’t going to feel like a sequel of BG2.

DOS combat was pretty good, and D&D should solve some of its main problems like RNG itemization.

Things that I’ll probably miss from BG2:
-visual style and music
-ridiculous mage battles
-quests that felt like full self contained D&D modules (e.g Unseeing Eye), possible but unlikely given larian’s track record
-minimal threshold for passable writing which Larian has never met

but combat should be good and the game will hopefully be good for what it is

I’d be more irritated if we didn’t have PF:K which more or less feels like an IE followup

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I liked RTWP for trash mobs and didn’t like it for mage battles and so on. Those and the occasional party vs party fights were still the best parts of BG2 combat but would have been better with TB.

As for this game, I don’t get all the fuss. Of course 20 years, 3 editions of D&D, new company, and incalculable culture changes later this wasn’t going to feel like a sequel of BG2.

DOS combat was pretty good, and D&D should solve some of its main problems like RNG itemization.

-visual style and music
-ridiculous mage battles
-quests that felt like full self contained D&D modules (e.g Unseeing Eye), possible but unlikely given larian’s track record

I’d be more irritated if we didn’t have PF:K which more or less feels like an IE followup

Two things I didn't like from DOS combat should be mitigated with BG3: environmental effects and the armor system. But most people disliked DOS not for the combat, it's for everything else.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron

-visual style and music
-ridiculous mage battles

Two things I didn't like from DOS combat should be mitigated with BG3: environmental effects and the armor system. But most people disliked DOS not for the combat, it's for everything else.

Yeah so we just have to take this for what it is. Combatfag 5E D&D game.

I could enjoy that if done well

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
TB in this game would be just fine if they hadn't already dumbed it down with initiative dumping for one side or the other. Just do individual initiative, Jesus Christ. If the guys at fucking inXile could do it for Wasteland 2, what's the problem?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom