Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's a tall order to give us a worthy successor to 2B's booty.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
So I have played and completed NieR: Automata over the last week or so, and...

...wow. Knowing nothing about the game going in (except some non-spoilery descriptions), I never expected the game to be so tragic in character. It's probably the most bittersweet game I've played since Final Fantasy VI. Route C was particularly oppressive with its relentless darkness. But there is the slightest crack for a ray of light to shine through in the end, and like all memorable tragedies, it's enough.

And the soundtrack was something else. Even discounting the fact that nearly every track was memorable, the way Marina Kawano's -- a name I did not know until today -- voice cracked and she literally started crying during the final credits song was such a beautiful note to end things on.

Mechanically it would be charitable to call the game anything but popamole, but the criticism is really rather irrelevant; the action is an excuse for Yoko Taro to play with the camera and move things forward.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've finally started this. Owned it since release. Did the first hour, without being able to save and then completed two quests. While it isn't the most mechanically deep game, you can still do some cool stuff.

cruel

Cipher
It's amazing how well I remember this scene, even 3 years after I played this. One of the marks of a great game.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just got stuck. Ended up in a level 30 area and I'm level 10. Killed everything but no way out. Somehow glitched through the environment.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
base ps4? How's the framerate? Wondering 'cause after I upgraded my PC a couple years ago Nier Automata somehow ran worse than before. Might grab a physical PS4 copy to replay it soonish.

If you aren't using FAR on PC, you should be. I played through the entire game with it and never had frame rate drop below 60 FPS on 1440p. I had heard that the game had performance problems, but FAR allowed me to avoid them entirely. Admittedly my GPU is a GTX 980 Ti, but that doesn't change the fact that my rig is 4.5 years old; if you upgraded your PC a couple of years ago, chances are your GPU is more powerful.

Last edited:

hexer

https://www.jp.square-enix.com/music/sem/page/nier/orchestra12020/

In 2020, 10 years from the release of NieR Gestalt/Replicant, the “NieR:Theatrical Orchestra 12020” concert will be held in Tokyo and Osaka.

This performance will consist of fully orchestrated performances of songs carefully selected from NieR Gestalt/Replicant and NieR:Automata, including recitations by the voice cast as well songs performed by vocalists.

Please look forward to this amazing music festival worth of the 10th Anniversary!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, Platinum had a big 4-themed reveal a little bit ago. There's a chance they are working on Drakengard 4.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
The sheer beauty and weirdness of this game still strike me in random, empty moments, and scenes from its music play in my mind. I'll always treasure it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
B Route is done. I've also seen some of the silly endings. I did start C Route, but I saved as soon as I got control of 2B. Can't wait to see how the story unfolds.

mogwaimon

Magister
B Route is done. I've also seen some of the silly endings. I did start C Route, but I saved as soon as I got control of 2B. Can't wait to see how the story unfolds.
you're in for a good time. i just finished this myself recently and it was so gripping that i stayed up until 8 in the morning just because i wanted to finish the game that badly. it's a masterpiece, wish I'd paid more attention to Yoko Taro's output when I was younger but I ended up skipping the Drakengards and Nier for various stupid reasons.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
While I firmly believe Drakengard 1 is best experienced as an LP, 2 is skipable and 3 a tad mediocre you absolutely should try to play NieR on a console. It's a very different game. Of course it has none of that Platinum polish but I think you'll very much love the story.

Taro is a genius, I think. Does he sometimes manipulate the player with excessive and cheap tragedy? Yes. But even when he does that he seems to do so knowingly and with a wink.

mogwaimon

Magister
yea, they're all on the list. I enjoy Dynasty Warriors type gameplay so I don't think Drakengard will be that bad for me. I just might bump them up a hundred notches on the list because of Automata. hopefully RPCS3 works well enough for Nier and Drakengard 3 on my PC, otherwise I might have to dust off the old PS3

yellowcake

Arcane
yea, they're all on the list. I enjoy Dynasty Warriors type gameplay so I don't think Drakengard will be that bad for me. I just might bump them up a hundred notches on the list because of Automata. hopefully RPCS3 works well enough for Nier and Drakengard 3 on my PC, otherwise I might have to dust off the old PS3

Both are perfectly playable on RPCS3 and even easily tweaked to run at 1080p 60FPS although they require a fairly powerful CPU even in SD due to bad optimization - especially Drakengard 3. i7 CPU recommended as RPCS likes to run on 8 threads. I did complete Nier on overclocked i5 2500K in SD without many problems but slowdowns during bullet hell parts were rather heavy whereas D3 was unplayable on it and I completed it only after upgrading to six core haswell.

Original Nier is a marvel too, very similar yet very different to Automata. Since you seem to have gotten the bug already you will enjoy D3 too despite it appearing to be rather simple game.

Damn I hope Yoko Taro is working on another title because I can't find a way to fill that void in any other way.

Last edited:

Fishy

Savant
Just finished this yesterday. Well, mostly finished it (A->E endings, and random K ending on the side because, well, Fish!). I'm actually impressed. I had a lot of prejudice going in: anime as fuck, gothic android combat lolitas just because, generally uninteresting combat that is 99% of the gameplay, "OMG MACHINES HAVE DEVELOPED EMOTIONS AND SENTIENCE WHAT A PLOT TWIST!!!" setting... But it's so widely acclaimed, I thought I'd give it a chance.

Turns out, even though each part isn't particularly great, when put together, the game is far more enjoyable than the sum of its parts. It does lovely things with music, camera, gameplay changes, character swaps and quickly becomes pretty engrossing, making you want to see it through.

My only real issue with it in the end is the chip system. It's great in terms of the stuff you have to play with, but it's utterly shitty with only 3 slots shared by your 3 characters, no way to rename them, a godawful UI, and that fusing system grind. Pity because I'd have played a lot more with some stuff had it not been such a chore to reconfigure. At least the auto-configuration helped a bit getting a base setup before tweaking.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
First new NIER game is out.
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/03/sinoalice-launches-july-1-in-the-west
it's a mobile game
EWSTVHy.jpg

:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom