Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Proposal Regarding Newfag Access and Entrance Fees

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
DarkUnderlord, Taluntain, and Infinitron, thank you in advance for reading.

I would like to draw to your attention a matter of no small importance: that of the ability for any Tom, Dick and/or Harry (no pun intended) to pay a measly fee in order to have complete, unfettered access not only to General Discussion but also to the holy Box of Shouting.

This is unacceptable, and I will explain why.

First of all, a long-standing tradition of newfags being harassed and having to earn their place amongst us otherwise prestigious Codexers is being bypassed entirely. No longer do they have to earn their stripes, so to speak, through actual effort in posting in the General RPG forums and elsewhere; by simply clicking authorize on their PayPal accounts they're free to clog up what used to be restricted areas with whatever mental dribble they can manage to cough up. It is lazy and a mockery of our once fine traditions.

Secondly, I feel as if the opposite effect of what you might have intended with this policy is occurring. Let me clarify: it is obvious that by taking in these fees, you're generating funds to either maintain your cocaine habit(s) or you're actually putting that money towards server upkeep, etc. (lol). But the real effect that taking in these hobos' money is having is further alienating long-standing, loyal members who instead of being inspired to keep Codex prestigious, might decide they've had enough of this unwashed rabble and decide to take their snobbishness elsewhere. Thus, net loss for Codex, both monetarily and culturally. And no, I'm not referring to the kind of culture you might be thinking of; I'm referring to the culture of Codex Lost: A Bunch of Angry Cunts. We are no longer those cunts. We are a faceless mass of real-time loving, anime-watching mouthbreathers. And this is all due to these admission policies diluting what would otherwise be a still-worthy Codex of old.

So, on to my proposal:

Continue accepting pay-for-play, but do so on a tiered basis:

• $100.00 gets you full access, Shoutbox and everything. Hey, everyone has their price, even us.
  • $50.00 gets you access to all forums including GD, but Shoutbox is still off-limits until you're here for a full year.
  • $25.00 reduces your vetting time to one month, after which you get access to GD, but Shoutbox is still out of your grasp for one year.
  • $10.00 reduces your waiting time for GD to six months, Shoutbox one year.
  • $5.00 still gets you a patron tag, but otherwise we laugh at you. One year sentence.

I think these prices are fair, I think the wait periods are reasonable, and this way everyone's happy.

It cannot be stated strongly enough how important it is to maintain some level of control in allowing these immigrants new users in. The barbarians are at our gate. We must act.

Thank you again for your time.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Crispy is a faggot and I am not sold on his second point but there is some validity to the first point.

GD attracts shitposters like shit attracts flies and when some newfag just can't fucking wait to get access to shitposting central to the point they even pay fucking money just to bypass the boards this forum was actually primarily supposed to be about at some point (..like.. RPGs, you know?) you always know you got another bad one.

However, as far as I know, it doesn't actually happen all that often now, does it? So we might as well let The Administration(tm) have their precious shekels, its not like one more turd in the diarrhoea sea really matters?

Maybe there are better ways to improve overall board quality?

12263.png
Stuff to think about. But maybe even shitposters have a right to live and be retarded, who can say, I'm just brainstorming here.

Last edited:

Corvinus

Arcane
Verily, a step in the right direction, Crispy. But why step when you can leap?

I see before me a train, hurrying towards me at speed. As it comes to a screeching halt, a great mass of unwashed filth surge forth, gently guided by uniformed men bearing rifles. As the throng reaches the Gate, each man is given a discerning look by the good Doctor, clad in black. Those deemed worthy of scorn but who might still bring incline after seasoning are sent to the Right.
A difficult but ultimately fruitful destiny awaits these lucky few.
And what becomes of those that are deemed consoletard vermin, bringers of decline, apologist scum? That multitude is sent to the Left, with a single, final task: Report to the showers.

Just machinegun all newfags as they show up! Anything post 2015 is, with few exceptions, pure, undiluted decline. I thought the 2018 crowd was bad, but then 2019 happened. 2020 is looking even worse. Pull the plug!

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Crispy if someone pays to have access to those features that already means he's a dumbfuck and only suitable for GD. Once they pay restrict them to general discussions and only that, lock them in forever.Non paying tards, deported to prosperland .Problem solved everyone happy.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Crispy has no credibility since he quit the UT showdown match even before it was finished. Weasel, take your beating like a man. You have no honor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom