Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best PSOne games

polo

Magister
So i bought a new phone and it runs the PSOne emulator like a charm, what are the best psone rpgs and other games.
First one i downloaded was Tony hawk 2, and NFS porsche because nostalgia.
Recommend me some games!

Games, not just jrpgs. Besides most obvious ones like Tekken 3:

Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero (MK3 fighting scheme mixed with light rpg elements and Prince of Persia)
Mortal Kombat 3 / Trilogy (avoid 2, it's an awful port)
War Gods
Quake 2 (very different from PC version)
Wu-Tang: Shaolin Style
Space Hulk: Vengeance of Blood Angels
Warhammer: Shadow of the Hornet Rat / Dark Omen
Crusader: No Remorse
Exhumed
Hellnight
Croc: Legend o the Gobbos
Fighting Force
Nightmare Creatures
Spiderman
Street Fighter EX 1/2
Bust-A-Move 2
Revelations: Persona
Persona 2: Innocent Sin / Eternal Punishment
Excalibur 25555 AD (Sir-Tech!)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (PSX port has exclusive story mode)

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Back when I had a PS1, I really enjoyed Gran Turismo 2 and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Already posted my opinion on rpgs in that other thread so sticking to some non rpg gems that I don't see talked about much as thread title is best psone games:

-Future Cop LAPD
-Klonoa
-Bust-a-groove
-Star wars jedi power battles
-Colony wars
-Destruction Derby 2 (one of the few racing games I enjoyed because car damage was a thing, was possible to get individual sections of the car wrecked and tactical use of pit stops to repair damage was just as essential as driving fast)
-Bushido Blade
-Raystorm

I want to reccommend G-police 1+2 aswell but unless you grew up with it then the very short drawing distance and using wireframe to clue you what buildings are 10 meters ahead of you is going to be too off putting. Makes me wonder if some insane genius hasn't ported it to pc and fixed that problem, drawing distance really is an issue in an otherwise really good game series.

I'll also mention die hard trilogy's 2nd part (gimmick of this game was each film was a self contained game so 3 games in 1 but most aged badly except the 2nd) was and time crisis as good games but you need a lightgun for those, no clue how you could play them on a phone but then I don't see how you could play any ps1 game that ain't turn based on one so maybe you're just a magician.

Last edited:

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
-Future Cop LAPD
I remember this game was such a blast in multiplayer as you tried to get your tanks inside the enemy's base, a shame nobody has done a modern take on it all these years later.

Yeah precint assault was tons of fun and just as decent in single player, not to mention memorable thanks to the sky captain:

For a very optional bonus mode they put a stupid amount of work into it, ah the good old days...

Also remembered a few more titles worth mentionning:

-Team Buddies.
This was another one that was great to play with friends but still worth playing in sp, basically was team warfare based game where you assembled extra units and weapons and vehicles from boxes that fell out of the sky. Game was quite fun, your new units could be anything from flying supermen to terminator ripoffs and vehicles varied from humble one man jeeps or planes to baneblade like tanks or mega bombers requiring multiple people to man it.
-Tombi.
-The adventures of Lomax
-Syphon Filter
-C-12 Final Resistance
-Toy Story 2

Last edited:

Exhuminator

Arcane
If you play nothing else play Vagrant Story.

If that's too complicated for you, play Mega Man Legends.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero (MK3 fighting scheme mixed with light rpg elements and Prince of Persia)
Fighting Force
Fighting Force is a game that I should like, given how much it wanted to be Final Fight/Streets of Rage (and the lack of 3D beat 'em ups/any beat 'em ups on the PS1), but it's very poorly designed, and just not that good to play.

The real shit, would be:

Also, Mythologies: Sub-Zero, are you high? And if you're scraping the bottom of the barrel with Croc, I feel like Gex, Ape Escape or the GOAT: Jumping Flash would fit better.

laclongquan

Arcane
Chronos Cross. Trigger if you want to earn kodex kredit here but Cross is the key.

Legend of Mana because art style baby~

Front Mission 3 because mecha battle for the win.

Final Fantasy 8 because creativity and full control.

Suikoden 1 and 2 because collecting 108 characters is never out of style

Fighting Force is a game that I should like, given how much it wanted to be Final Fight/Streets of Rage (and the lack of 3D beat 'em ups/any beat 'em ups on the PS1), but it's very poorly designed, and just not that good to play.

It's not as good as Die Hard Arcade (that one was only for monocled Saturn owners, not PSX peasants) but still it's hard to find better 3D beat'em up on Playstation (after Urban Chaos).

Also, Mythologies: Sub-Zero, are you high?

Dunno why it gains so much hate. It has decent reviews in release days, combines best of MK3 and Prince of Persia mechanics plus it's lore heaven. Only thing that is annoying is that 'switch side' button - that move lasts too long and it's hard to not getting hit.

if you're scraping the bottom of the barrel with Croc, I feel like Gex, Ape Escape or the GOAT: Jumping Flash would fit better.

Haven't play the last two but Gex was mediocre.

Croc was one o the first attempts on 3D platforming and while it's has much smaller areas than Mario 64, it's much more fun than Crap Bandicoot.

O course I've been playing it on PC, with Glide on Vooodoo 2, not on some grey console trash with jaggy graphics.

Reality

Learned
Micromachines V3 - Actually one of my favorite in the series (even though the consensus is genesis Micromachines is best), I've always seen the MM series as the really good 90s~ spiritual sequels to Super Sprint.

MDK - Shiny's MDK is one of the only Third Person shooters worth playing ever made.

Vigilante 8 - in my opinion, this beats Twisted Metal on Twisted Metal's home turf - this is mostly because every weapon has 2 secondary functions that use "fighting game inputs" and the game absolutely went hog wild - the mortar will be upgraded to deforming the level with permeant craters, the basic homing missle will change to a version which attaches to enemy cars and flies them around against their will, the mine has a magnet version, etc - Does have a sequel Vigialnte 8: Second Offense, but in my opinion, 2nd offense is worse because of A: The hovercar powerup is in nearly every level and you can't really aim on the Z-axis while using it B: Vehicle physics change make vehicles clip through each other easier to get unstuck, so Ram Kills are only really possible in the original C: Camera is worse, although this is mostly for 2's really tall vehicles like the Garbage Truck.

Colony Wars - Colony Wars Vengeance - Colony Wars Red Sun -

all three games use a derivative of an 8 degree of freedom engine (ala Descent and Freespace). The original has a James Earl Jones impersonator to deliver the story. The second one reveals that the story of the first one was propanda all along while feeding new propaganda to the player (until the final act). Red Sun is kind of dumb storywise. The first two games are surprisingly difficult and 1 has branching endings. Red Sun is kind of easy, but it does have a very fun homage to the BFG. Otherwise Red sun is inferior to G-Police.

Mr. Driller - super addictive puzzle game. - only thing that compares is the fast paced second half of Boulderdash
Devil Dice - super addictive puzzle game, does have a "superior" Ps2 sequel called Bombastic... BUT Bombastic replaces the Puzzle Trial mode with a lame story mode, and the "points going up" sound effect in Bombastic is kind of painful and unending, especially because this is a game that you want to attempt level-long combos in.
Sentinel Returns - This is a sequel to an ancient Home Computer game - basically you have a teleport/swapgun, but can NEVER move, only rotate in place, and both you and the enemy spinning turrets win on height advantage. Arguabbly less atmosphic with PS1 graphics than the original, but I think it's worth checking out.
Magical Drop 3 - Every gamer should be familiar with and be able to tell the differences between Magical Drop and Bust a Move

Driver - kind of brilliant and kind of jank at the same time. My personal experience PS1 vs PC is that a lot of level exits have a "no cops on your tail" requirement, which kinnda makes the last blocks of a chase more annoying than they should be.

Ape Escape - Kind of a Ropey 3D platformer. I think it goes further in the "theme park' direction than any of the others on PlayStation, but it's bright and has a sense of fun.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Dunno why it gains so much hate. It has decent reviews in release days, combines best of MK3 and Prince of Persia mechanics plus it's lore heaven. Only thing that is annoying is that 'switch side' button - that move lasts too long and it's hard to not getting hit.
Lore that has since been retconned. You have less telegraphing than PoP, little to none of the best gameplay mechanics of MK3 (nor the actually fighting game parts), and awful hit detection. Also, are we suddenly taking game journos as an actual proof of quality? There are tons of games that are pretty poor to play nowadays that reviewed fairly well.

it's much more fun than Crap Bandicoot.
I'd take Crash's smooth control over Croc's crappy tank controls and mediocre level design any day of the week. But I suppose I never played Croc with Glide.

It's not as good as Die Hard Arcade (that one was only for monocled Saturn owners, not PSX peasants) but still it's hard to find better 3D beat'em up on Playstation (after Urban Chaos).
There are at least better beat 'em ups, though. And the 3D nature isn't even used that well, the camera is stiff, and you get less freedom than some 2D brawlers. I also never played Die Hard Arcade much, just that excellent sequel, Dynamite Cop.

More games:
Tearring Saga (Fire Emblem but on PS1, same creator, full good english TL)
Honestly, Spyro. The remakes aren't that good.
Tomba (for whatever reason euromen still call it Tombi despite being wrong) or Klonoa if you want 2.5D Platforming.
Alundra for a decent Zelda clone.
Wild Arms is one of my favorite JRPGs on PS1, next to Legend of Dragoon.
I don't think we need to mention the top 10s or whatever that most people mention. But at the very least, Metal Gear Solid is still great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom