Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima What makes an "Ultima" game to you?

What makes an "Ultima" game to you? (Choose 3)

• A naive representative of of the British(tm) family is in the game

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • A morality system that (pre)-defines your character's position in the world

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Night and day cycles and detailed activity schedules for NPCs

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • Lots and lots of books that can be read and tell you about the world

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • A somewhat convoluted magic system with reagents, runes and a spellbook

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Moongates that allow you to travel, boats and a magic carpet

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Top down view with incorrectly angled walls

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • An armageddon spell that kills most NPCs and breaks the game

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • You can bake bread

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Shepherds and Tinkers are classes

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • The main bad guy is external to the world

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters

Ysaye

Arbiter
A much more interesting, pertinent version of a question of the one already up about Baldur's Gate. What would make you accept a new game out as an "Ultima"?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I've barely played Ultima games, so an outsiders perspective... the thing I most know the series for is the Avatar's pure moral code.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
A much more interesting, pertinent version of a question of the one already up about Baldur's Gate. What would make you accept a new game out as an "Ultima"?

If it replaced Ultima 9 and was a good resolution to the Guardian saga

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
"Top down view with incorrectly angled walls"

Dungeons in Ultima have 1st-person view in the style of Wizardry:

848526-akalabeth-world-of-doom-windows-screenshot-i-m-attacked-by.png

310105-ultima-atari-8-bit-screenshot-the-obligatory-giant-rat-in.png

182118-ultima-ii-the-revenge-of-the-enchantress-dos-screenshot-example.png

925101-exodus-ultima-iii-commodore-64-screenshot-dungeon-view.png

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
Interactivity and world simulation.

That's mostly 5-7 though (UO does a pretty good job at it as well - The only thing missing are day cycles for NPCs. Other than that it's probably the one with the most interactive environment)
Ultima 9 is a mixed bag when it comes to interactivity and world simulation. Some stuff works fine, other stuff doesn't. The game has other problems (lots of them).

My main gripe with Ultima 8 was the lack of a proper open world, so that probably is also a thing that makes an Ultima game to me.

V_K

Arcane
My favorite things about Ultima are:
- interactivity and simulation;
- emergent gameplay;
- continuity between lore and gameplay (e.g. magic system);
- open-endedness and lack of hand-holding.

My least favorite things about Ultima are
- self-inserts;
- naive "moral philosophy";
- repetitive geography (most of the games being set on the same continent, with the same cities and dungeons);
- too few numbers.

Now if someone made a game that would have the former but not the latter, I'd be very happy...

If it carried the name "Ultima" and was made by Larian Studios.

In some ways, I think Larian are better suited (relatively) to creating an Ultima than a Baldur's Gate.
The original DivDiv was supposed to be their Ultima with a hint of Fallout. No, thanks, next.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
A game World that feels both enormous and yet handcrafted. This is what U7 did differently than most open worlds. Every character in the game had their place in the world and interacted with each others accordingly.

Ysaye

Arbiter
My favorite things about Ultima are:

If it carried the name "Ultima" and was made by Larian Studios.

In some ways, I think Larian are better suited (relatively) to creating an Ultima than a Baldur's Gate.
The original DivDiv was supposed to be their Ultima with a hint of Fallout. No, thanks, next.

Just to clarify, I didn't say Larian would make a good Ultima, just their Ultima would be better than their Baldur's Gate....

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Didn't know that but it worked for me, ultima was my least favorite franchise from the stone age, along with Bard Tales and Divinity was really good, in spite of its diablo gameplay.

Last edited:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
One thing people don't talk about a lot is that Ultima & DivinityOS are actually pretty tonally similar. Particularly Ultima 7 has a generally serious story but also a lot of really whacky moments. You can talk to a speaking horse one moment but then come across a druid sacrificing a baby on an altar in the woods. Same in Divinity where you have some whacky shit one moment and then find a huge pile of dead bodies and a river of blood somehwere the next. Personally, I love these contrasts and tonal shifts as they keep things fresh and interesting but I guess it breaks the immersion of storyfags or something.

Another thing Divinity is really similar to Ultima is the environmental interaction and the way it allows you to just play around in the gameworld. I think its pretty evident Larian took some inspiration from U7 in that department, its Svens favorite RPG afterall.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane

Didn't know that but it worked for me, ultima was almost my least favorite franchise from the stone age, along with Bard Tales, Divinity was really good, in spite of its diablo gameplay.
Not in a literal sense (in a literal sense it reuses the engine and assets from their attempt at making a Diablo-like TDE game), but in terms of most oft-cited source of inspiration. Though it turned out Larian understood Ultima as "whimsical writing and moving stuff around" which misses the point by about half a universe.
Just to clarify, I didn't say Larian would make a good Ultima, just their Ultima would be better than their Baldur's Gate....
I don't know about that. Larian's problem is that they don't understand how to design RPG mechanics beyond the Diablo-style loot and leveling treadmills. Having to work with DnD rules may rectify that. Ultima, on the other hand, has always been very mechanics-light, so Larian's Ultima would be just another Divinity game with Ultima TM slapped on it. And Divinity games don't make good Ultimas because Ultima is all about worldbuilding, both through narrative and level design, and Larian never got it right either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom