Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lilura's Blog: An Ongoing Codexian Obsession

How do you rate lilura1.blogspot.com's commentary?

• Total voters

Lilliput McHammersmith

Lilura, I may be a "nufag" or whatever you might say about the fact that my account on this site is new, but holy smokes, you are so toxic and bitter, not to mention extremely arrogant. It's actually a bit disappointing considering that I have found your blog very useful in the past for Neverwinter Nights content. The way you act on this website turns me off from visiting your blog anymore, because you are acting so insufferable.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Lilura I'm glad to see that you’ve converted to the ways of Silent Storm! It really is a good tactics game with a great camera. It’s shocking how many games get it wrong 15 years later.

I do think, especially for a RPG, fixed 2D isometric is better from both a resource-expenditure point of view, and an aesthetic one. Painted 2D backdrops are never happening with a 3D camera.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Write ups like the one above are where Lilura really shines. Excellent work, and the next time someone tries to talk shit when I cite BG>BG2, I will just link them said write up. Major incline.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Write ups like the one above are where Lilura really shines. Excellent work, and the next time someone tries to talk shit when I cite BG>BG2, I will just link them said write up. Major incline.

The reason I penned that piece, and went all out with a Revised retrospective, is because the IE fanbase (which is comprised 90% of troglodytes) was trying to bury the original Baldur's Gate, and I don't like to see the legacies of seminal entries getting unfairly devalued by such nufags.

It's fine to criticize a seminal entry in a series, but credit should also be paid to its virtues, and the groundwork laid down by it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
what is the broad opinion vs Fallout Tactics, Jagged Alliance Series, the Breach series, and the Xcom series?

First Breach I had was 2 on amiga500 and the disk crapped out (couldn't even copy it).

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
First Breach I had was 2 on amiga500 and the disk crapped out (couldn't even copy it).

Both Breach and Breach 2 have been WHDLoaded by Psygore.

Just get an authentic setup like this going; they work fine:

amiga.jpg

OS boots in 1 sec flat, games load in a couple secs from HDD.

Zero faggotry because no front-end: just pure OS + add-ons.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Holy crap that's nice. Way better than my muddling around half-assedly on winuae. Cery nice. If only my version of Dragon Wars didn't botch up (again, it could be my ineptness).
My fondest amiga times are software of the month club, bardstale, savage frontier series, dark queen of krynn, lotus 3, lemmings, ACS, dragons lair, shadow of the beast 2, keef the thief, and a few others. Most of it was word processing.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
If you'd like to keep your competitive streak sharp, you can grind towards overtaking another prolific, gaming-history blogger, though there is even less overlap between you and him: The Digital Antiquarian.

upload_2020-3-7_23-56-25.png

Keep training, young Li!

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Hah. Like I said, can't really compare me with crpgaddict or DA: I'm lone-wolf and don't team-up.

I only mention crpgaddict because some posters on 'Dex think he's big, and my commentary is nothing/has no viewership.

ToEE retrospective updated, btw:

temple%2Bexterior1.jpg

It's still a WiP. I'll have to make it multi-part eventually.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Honestly, I never heard about this blog before joining the Codex, probably because I live in a non english-speaking country and usually my IE-related searches only give GameBanshee and Sorcerer's Place as results.

But once here it's almost impossible not to stumble upon someone talking about it, so I would say that, at least here, it's pretty influential.

Also, Lilura is the only person I have ever seen manage to convince a rtwp fan that tb systems can at least have some advantages. And that's fucking impressive

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
at least here, it's pretty influential.

I doubt it. It's nice to see some people unwittingly employing coins I've termed or made popular in a specific sphere, but I doubt I've changed anyone's opinions. Most 'Dexers are set in their ways just like I am.

Also, Lilura is the only person I have ever seen manage to convince a rtwp fan that tb systems can at least have some advantages. And that's fucking impressive

Hardly an achievement, but it makes me happy if someone's seen the light.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'd be hard pressed to guess what my first RTWP was. I believe i hated it though. I wasn't a fan of the timer per turn in ultima either. I guess initially it had the desired effect of urgency esp in U3.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I doubt it. It's nice to see some people unwittingly employing coins I've termed or made popular in a specific sphere, but I doubt I've changed anyone's opinions. Most 'Dexers are set in their ways just like I am.

Not true at all. You've convinced me to try jagged Alliance 2 one day. It's not at the top of my to play list but I'll get to it eventually, seeing as I like a lot of your top games(except toee, you'll never convince me off that).

Ninjerk

Arcane

Not true at all. You've convinced me to try jagged Alliance 2 one day. It's not at the top of my to play list but I'll get to it eventually, seeing as I like a lot of your top games(except toee, you'll never convince me off that).
Tell your friends and family to fuck off and turn off your phone. You only get your first time once.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

Tell your friends and family to fuck off and turn off your phone. You only get your first time once.
But I love my friend and family. :negative:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
TOEE is wonderful tactical goodness, why would you not wanna play that? Just don't be put off by the start, it is tedious but gets good once you get a couple of levels and spells. JA2 is a masterpiece.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I'd be hard pressed to guess what my first RTWP was. I believe i hated it though. I wasn't a fan of the timer per turn in ultima either. I guess initially it had the desired effect of urgency esp in U3.

Darklands.

If more HDDs were circulating at the time on the Amiga -- well, they weren't. It wouldn't have mattered much, though, since Microprose were not known for taking advantage of the Amiga's custom chipset (such as hardware scrolling). See also: SSI Goldbox, Bullfrog Syndicate and countless others that were technically, functionally and aesthetically gimped.

Have you played Blackguards?

No, sorry. I don't play current gen RPGs anymore, no matter how good they are. It's also out of my treatment range which is now exclusively Renaissance era (not Golden Age or current gen).

Aside from Renaissance focus and preservation of original version legacies (I'm the only one that cares about this so I auto-win), agenda of blog is to push combat connoisseur, system's coverage and technical coverage to forefront in direct opposition to storyfaggotry, which is a scourge on the genre.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
[ Microprose were not known for taking advantage of the Amiga's custom chipset (such as hardware scrolling). See also: SSI Goldbox, Bullfrog Syndicate and countless others that were technically, functionally and aesthetically gimped.

The reviled Electronic Arts were one of the few companies that took advantage of the Amigas's powers, like for instance in The Bard's Tale. Or was it thanks to Interplay?

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Since I started another playthrough of BGII (like, last Saturday. Thanks, Codex! You mother fuckers) I've been reading Lilura 's blog here and there. It is a pretty good resource, though if I need walkthrough stuff I rely on the incomparable Dan Simpson and his exhaustive guides, which are still the pinnacle of RPG game walkthroughs in my opinion. Seriously, that guy had an incredible fucking output. I wonder what happened to him. . .

But yeah, the blog is very useful, especially when I want to waste time reading about different class kit strengths/weaknesses before I end up rolling another fucking Cavalier anyway.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No, sorry. I don't play current gen RPGs anymore, no matter how good they are. It's also out of my treatment range which is now exclusively Renaissance era (not Golden Age or current gen).

Weren't you looking forward to Realms Beyond?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom