Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
If the game was called something like Baldur's Gate : attack of ilithid or whatever I wouldn't mind. The same way I don't mind that the dark alliances exist. With Baldur's Gate 3 it's clear that they want to use Baldur's Gate 3 for their own means and they aren't giving it the proper respect it deserves. Games like Baldur's Gate, fall out, Ultima and wizardry and a couple others deserve proper respect in my mind. These are the games that have had major influence on the genre. And any disrespect towards them is disrespect to the genre. I'm not keen on having another fallout 3. I think people underestimate the impact Baldur's Gate has had on our lives. If you didn't enjoy it for whatever reason, chances are you enjoyed some games where the developer was inspired by it.

Codex Year of the Donut
If they follow the lore, you don't have 7 days. You have a maximum of 20 hours if most of your stats are at 20 (which they won't be) unless someone spams restoration on you. Then you become a vegetable/dead.

Ha. Every once in a while, some alternately developed individual pops up at the kodex saying "hai, wouldn't it be awesome to have a sort of reverse RPG where you start as a demigod and then get weaker with every level you gain, huh? the more you work on developing your character the less you can do with him, oh so much fun!11".

I suppose Larian has listened?
There's an rpgmaker game about this on Steam that has been mentioned a few times, never tried it.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
yes, but will the new BG get with the times and finally catch up to skyrim(job) in terms of realism and allow buckets to be worn as helmets?
that's my most memorable moment of D:OS1, happened immediately before uninstall.exe

Tytus

Arcane
And holy shit, they might have picked something else but Faerun at this point.

One can hope that a developer with better writers will use BG3 as a springboard to do a Ravenloft campaign, not unlike how BG begat Torment.

In my wet dreams I wish for Dragonlance War of Souls as a RPG game/games.
That storyline was my favourite thing that even came out of Dragonlance.
It was dark, fatalistic, it screwed over the main cast many, many times. It changed the status quo and destroyed many of the very popular setting locations.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
One of the main reasons why a day-night cycle is a problem to implement is the possibility of splitting the party, like I've said before.

In DOS1-2, and in BG3, it is possible for some characters to be in TB while others are not in combat but in RT exploration mode. Technically, time would be paused in TB, passing at 6 seconds per round. But at the same time many things can happen for other characters in RT, they can even travel the whole map and join in the fight, all in technically 6 seconds combat time. Time is highly abstracted there.
That's actually just Larian shooting themselves in the foot with a thermonuclear weapon.
I can see why they have done it like this and what they tried to achieve, but there is literally nothing good about this solution - inconsistent time, ability to do arbitrary amount of shit or movement in between turns if you are not participating (so escape combat, heal up, gather supplies, travel to advantageous position, reenter combat), etc.
What they should have done is making switch to turn-based mode global. One PC enters combat? It's TB time.
Party is split? Tough shit, maybe try to support your bros next time instead of derping around.

It's part of the great co-op innovation plan, but in the end, it's detrimental to the single player experience.Or when you can pickpocket a NPC with one character while he is in dialogues with your other char. On one hand, it's supposed to evoke the reactivity/improvisation you have in a PnP session, on the other hand, with the loss of day&night cycle and the feeling of progression on a map (and the waypoints system accentuates this) there's a loss of the feeling of exploration.
Yes, exactly.

There's a trade-off there. It seems they can't have good day-night cycles AND good splitting the party mechanics. One or the other. Which is why I said before that implementing day-night cycles is not a tiny thing, it would have a huge impact on the game design, some negative. There's the same exact problem with RTwP, which is why you had to gather your party before venturing forth I guess.
You can, it's just splitting party is going to a bit less fun sometimes when a player in RT mode gets TB forced on them during combat. It's not perfect, but given uncontainable clusterfuck created by the current alternative and the fact that it is NOT an MMO, it seems to be better option.
Aren't you agreeing with me? You're saying that you can have an imperfect compromise, which means that you can't have good splitting the party mechanics AND good day-night cycles. That's my point. And the compromise is really only acceptable in single player.

Forcing a chracter in TB even if he's not in combat doesn't work with Larian's design goals. They want characters to be independant, to be able to do their own thing no matter what the others are doing. They want characters not involved in a fight to be able to run back to it and join in the fun with no hassle. That can have its advantages in single player, you can make larger-scale plans where every character has its independant role to play. But it is true that it is really necessary if you want good multiplayer, be it couch co-op or online. That's part of Larian's core design goals. But in consequence the same quest can be done by two characters with each one playing on a different side, which means Larian designs with multiple paths and choices in mind, which in turn benefits single player options.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Shadowheart vs Goldmoon, which is better and

yeah Goldmoon is better. riding a winged unicorn :shittydog:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
And holy shit, they might have picked something else but Faerun at this point.

One can hope that a developer with better writers will use BG3 as a springboard to do a Ravenloft campaign, not unlike how BG begat Torment.

It was dark, fatalistic, it screwed over the main cast many, many times. It changed the status quo and destroyed many of the very popular setting locations.
Dragonlance setting is a disgrace. I can't go past the fact that there are the evil wizards dressed in black who do evil things, the good wizards dressed in white who do good things and the neutral wizards dressed in red who do neutral things. I don't think I can take anything Dragonlance-related seriously.

However, I have no familiarity with the War of Souls trilogy.

Tytus

Arcane
Dragonlance setting is a disgrace. I can't go past the fact that there are the evil wizards dressed in black who do evil things, the good wizards dressed in white who do good things and the neutral wizards dressed in red who do neutral things

I agree early Dragonlance was very specific and hard to get into. The first 4 books especially aged really really poorly. But later something happened at TSR and they begun changing the setting into more and more fatalistic.
War of Souls is just a culmination of that trend. At the start of the book series the setting is utterly fucked because of the previous events in the lore. And War of Souls feels like exercise in finding out how much more fucked the world can get. And how much can you torture the main cast.
It's shame that subsequent books weren't even half that good because shift in the higher ups at (then) Wizards of The Coast steered the setting back into it's original and a little goofy roots. But I will always remember War of Souls trilogy with nostalgia.

DraQ

Arcane
If the game was called something like Baldur's Gate : attack of ilithid or whatever I wouldn't mind. The same way I don't mind that the dark alliances exist. With Baldur's Gate 3 it's clear that they want to use Baldur's Gate 3 for their own means and they aren't giving it the proper respect it deserves. Games like Baldur's Gate, fall out, Ultima and wizardry and a couple others deserve proper respect in my mind. These are the games that have had major influence on the genre. And any disrespect towards them is disrespect to the genre. I'm not keen on having another fallout 3. I think people underestimate the impact Baldur's Gate has had on our lives. If you didn't enjoy it for whatever reason, chances are you enjoyed some games where the developer was inspired by it.
No, the game should be Baldur's Gate, just like Neverwinter Nights could be Neverwinter Nights.
You have shown us the light.
You have shown us the way.
:swen:

Aren't you agreeing with me? You're saying that you can have an imperfect compromise, which means that you can't have good splitting the party mechanics AND good day-night cycles. That's my point. And the compromise is really only acceptable in single player.
Not exactly, no. I am arguing that no matter whether you go for the compromise or not you won't have good party splitting mechanics so you should choose solution that keeps mechanics consistent and side effects contained. Then you can have good day-night cycles if you find them worthwhile.
Forcing a chracter in TB even if he's not in combat doesn't work with Larian's design goals. They want characters to be independant, to be able to do their own thing no matter what the others are doing.
And they would, except in synchronous TB.

They want characters not involved in a fight to be able to run back to it and join in the fun with no hassle.
And they would, taking as many turn as necessary to get there.

Alternatively they could go for some sort of resynchronization mechanism where time (or distance travelled and actions) would be measured independently for RT and any of the TB encounters - on joining extra turns would be compensated.

For example at the end of turn 1 party's rogue (it's always the rogue, isn't it) managed to get around the map in a roundabout way which would take them 3 turns and join the combat by the end of turn 2. The player then waits 2 turns during which he isn't there, then appears at the point where he finished his move before joining combat and starts his combat turn.

Elex

Arbiter
No, the game should be Baldur's Gate, just like Neverwinter Nights could be Neverwinter Nights.

I'm perfectly fine with this. You don't see the difference between trying to pass something off as a sequel and naming something after a popular town?
“Neverwinter night” is not the name of a city is the name of something other.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Baldur's Gate
Icewind Dale
Neverwinter Night

fuck off from all that 3 names

name this Pool of Radiance or some old TB D&D game like Forgotten Realm Adventure or something

When a message like this is rated butthurt en masse by the Larian shills, you know where the butthurt really lies.

Xzar

Augur
Baldur's Gate Popular Resistance Front Herald
Issue 2

I099_110_Yelisin.jpg

Larian anti-corruption activist and developer Adam Smith defied authority of infamous tyrant Swen Vincke and stressed the need for swift de-DOSification of the game while speaking to The Mirror. From what he explained, it looks like the story might be a take on Illithid conspiracy theory, created by Beamdog forums user Cheesebelly back in 2012. Grand Dukes are considering inviting Adam to the city for a speech, acknowledging his anti-barbarous stance. Slogan “Larian without Vincke!” is already popular among pro-civilization people in Larian.

Meanwhile, hordes of feral DOSlims are roaming the YouTube lands. BG travel commission advises against venturing into those territories without invokers at your side. Interesting that there is much less walkers in non-English videos. Russian YouTuber 4game did a video specifically about ongoing holy war, and it is populated mostly by disease free BG fans there. In case you get bitten, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ENTER THE WALLED CITY! To the north east there is a healer named Wenric, who has a lot of experience in treating precisely these types of infection.

Paid promotion: Are you a young and beautiful nymph, who is born to get rich or die trying? Then today is your lucky day, as philanthropist Ramazith and bard Eldoth invite you to the casting of Baldur’s Gate’s Next Top Model. Filmed at the luxurious penthouse at the top of Ramazith’s Tower with equipment brought from another dimension, this is your chance!

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
When a message like this is rated butthurt en masse by the Larian shills, you know where the butthurt really lies.
Well, obviously.
Now that you made your kindergarten level twist joke and feel smart, you can get the fuck back at sperging like a retard about rt tb syncronization and whatnot. I bet you even fancy Vincke lurking around here and taking notes based on your drivels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom