Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games for people with depression

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
One of my Dx means the emotional control part of my brain is about 15% smaller than it's meant to be; and in turn, the same Dx gives you a 5-10% chance of dying by suicide.

tenor.gif

Stop it, you're cracking me up. Has he shown you a printout where that "emotional control part" of your brain can be seen, so I can give you a second opinion?

Ilu dude, but 'man up' isn't a solution. Trauma isn't something you can simply force your way past -- it's nothing to do with personal strength if you're struggling with flashbacks or dissociating hard. Ultimately such a self-repressive stance is just slowly adding another layer to one's problems. :(

Yeah it isn't a solution, but it is an action. This is what you don't get: that you are only worrying about the outcome but what we want you to do is only to take action, and take it now.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Value judgements (or 'oughts') are moral in nature. So you either are deluded in thinking that there is such a thing as inner amorality or are simply arguing semantics.

I think he's just going through the usual motions of someone who's found Stirner without enough context to make good use of his ideas (no offense sheep, it just comes across as copypasting memes).

Burning Bridges

Ah, the 'just toughen up lol' brainlets finally arrived. I started worrying already.

Don't mind Maxie, he hasn't had his dog treats this morning and finds any sign of human authenticity upsetting.

Well, that's already in the domain of psychiatry and thus therapy represents a valid medical practice. Therapy as some sort of self-improvement™ on the other hand is just a means through which snake oil salesmen with a degree in psychology make a living off gullible fools.

I guess I'm just confused where one can actiually draw a useful line to separate one from the. I didn't post about my own shit for its own sake so much as that when I was a tween or whatever, it presented itself less seriously, but not getting it attended to then contributed to me becoming a Certified Crazy. (Where I grew up they didn't diagnose it because they didn't have anyone to treat it and wanted to avoid bad statistics, lol...)

This may be the case in truly brain damaged persons, but it's still not clear what this means for the majority of people, whose brain is just a little fucked up. I personally think the vast majority of self-diagnosed PTSD cases, especially if they are very young and completely healthy, mostly just need a good excuse to not participate in life like kids who could skip physical education because they had a "bad back". They are afraid to move out and instead of pushing them, psychologist industry allows them to stay at home.

There have been many people who have only half a brain and lead a completely normal life, it may look like this

21283782-0-image-m-3_1574326158878.jpg

The brain has so many cells that it's complete overkill and in most cases it adapts to damage. It may be beyond repair in some cases, but general explanations for lifelong non-performance based purely on variations in brain mass and tissue are not convincing.

If you are saying that your ability to deal with emotions is ~15% reduced, big fucking deal. There are huge differences in the amount and quality of emotions and pleasure people can experience. Some people just got better or worse cards and everyone finds their own balance. That means even a depressed person can normally lead a life if they do no more than they can handle. But they often decide that they cannot handle anything, and that is a big lie. I just don't buy it if 20 something year olds decide their life is already over.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I can only recommend games that are NOT for depression so I won't. I once was playing Doom 3 with the volume cranked up in full 5.1 and my roommate who had severe bi-polar to the point of hallucinations was having a psychotic episode that month that started when the bar code machines at work started talking to him and saying "Goodbye!" when he left for the day. He manically came into my room that night I was playing and said, "Joe, remember when I told you I stopped taking those new meds because they gave me the shits and I started hearing the demons then I went back on my meds and the voices stopped??? Well, it's doing no good! I hear them again!!!" Before I could tell him what's what, he manically charged out of the room, went downstairs and locked himself into his bedroom. I know this story has no real relevance in this topic but I felt I had to get it off my chest. It's absolutely true by the way. The names have not been changed nor even mentioned (except mine) because no one is innocent.

Burning Bridges

I can only recommend games that are NOT for depression so I won't. I once was playing Doom 3 with the volume cranked up in full 5.1 and my roommate who had severe bi-polar to the point of hallucinations was having a psychotic episode that month that started when the bar code machines at work started talking to him and saying "Goodbye!" when he left for the day. He manically came into my room that night I was playing and said, "Joe, remember when I told you I stopped taking those new meds because they gave me the shits and I started hearing the demons then I went back on my meds and the voices stopped??? Well, it's doing no good! I hear them again!!!" Before I could tell him what's what, he manically charged out of the room, went downstairs and locked himself into his bedroom. I know this story has no real relevance in this topic but I felt I had to get it off my chest. It's a absolutely true by the way. The names have not been changed nor even mentioned because no one is innocent.

Bipolar or schizophreniac? I had a episode last year with a schizophrenic woman, not funny and I ended up reporting her to the police twice.

Burning Bridges

brains are spooks, humans are seine ran by will zu macht alone

Excuse my ignorance but what does this mean? It looks like German-English word salad, and a google search comes up with nothing.
Appeal to authority by way of Nietzschean terminology (which he clearly does not understand).

Thanks, but can you translate the sentence to a human language? I cannot make any sense of "humans are seine ran by will zu macht alone" even by trying all possible permutations of German and English intermixed, and more than "hopw roewur ne"

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I can only recommend games that are NOT for depression so I won't. I once was playing Doom 3 with the volume cranked up in full 5.1 and my roommate who had severe bi-polar to the point of hallucinations was having a psychotic episode that month that started when the bar code machines at work started talking to him and saying "Goodbye!" when he left for the day. He manically came into my room that night I was playing and said, "Joe, remember when I told you I stopped taking those new meds because they gave me the shits and I started hearing the demons then I went back on my meds and the voices stopped??? Well, it's doing no good! I hear them again!!!" Before I could tell him what's what, he manically charged out of the room, went downstairs and locked himself into his bedroom. I know this story has no real relevance in this topic but I felt I had to get it off my chest. It's a absolutely true by the way. The names have not been changed nor even mentioned because no one is innocent.

Bipolar or schizophreniac? I had a episode last year with a schizophrenic woman, not funny and I ended up reporting her to the police twice.

I was surprised to hear that yeah it was actually bi-polar. It was so bad that when he had major episodes, he would have severe hallucinations. I knew this was common with schizophrenia but didn't know it also happened with extreme manic-depressive illness too. I also really admired the guy too because he was working as a manager at Barnes & Noble when this happened and always refused to let his condition turn him into a ward of the state.

Vatnik Wumao
brains are spooks, humans are seine ran by will zu macht alone

Excuse my ignorance but what does this mean? It looks like German-English word salad, and a google search comes up with nothing.
Appeal to authority by way of Nietzschean terminology (which he clearly does not understand).

Thanks, but can you translate the sentence to a human language? I cannot make any sense of "humans are seine ran by will zu macht alone" even by trying all possible permutations of German and English intermixed, and more than "hopw roewur ne"
I'm guessing that

Brains are spooks = Stirnerian egoism, possibly an endorsement of solipsism
Seine = probably means Heidegger's concept of Dasein
Wille zur Macht = Nietzschean will to power

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

I was surprised to hear that yeah it was actually bi-polar. It was so bad that when he had major episodes, he would have severe hallucinations. I knew this was common with schizophrenia but didn't know it also happened with extreme manic-depressive illness too. I also really admired the guy too because he was working as a manager at Barnes & Noble when this happened and always refused to let his condition turn him into a ward of the state.

Sounds more like schizo-affect disorder (iirc) like Brian Wilson's case. I'm no doctor though.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Magnat, your post is so incredibly dumb; I refrain from quoting it because you probably want to delete it and pretend that it never existed - you have my sympathies for that.
Now I don't know how situation's like where you live, but let me explain how psychotherapy works here: It's free of charge for the client, the health insurance pays for 25 sessions or more if necessary. So here your antisemitism already falls flat on the nose. Do you know who pays big money? The therapists. Once you got your psychology or medical degree, you have to go through a several years long expensive training, including holding several hundred supervised and unpaid therapy sessions, before you are allowed to call yourself a psychotherapist and help people. This is because health care wants to ensure people are actually qualified to offer therapy, instead of just prescribing pills or telling people to 'just toughen up, lol'.
By the way, do you know how Mr Shekelberg actually makes big money? Let me tell you: By generously prescribing Feel-Good pills with minimal time investment for consultation.
As for your second paragraph: Depression is a mental illness.
I wasn't talking about your 'here', comrade; so yes, I stand by what I said. Private practices that are open to one and all without any medical referral are a scam and I am against them. Just because you have institutionalized, insurance-paid whining sessions in the West does not make it an universal phenomenon (though I do applaud that it offers the possibility for consultation when it is needed). My main issue with the willy-nilly promotion of therapy going around nowadays is that it promotes a culture of victimhood and removes the self-accountability of people for their own shortcomings in life. I acknowledge the fact that depression is a mental illness, yet most of those that claim to be depressed are simply mushy-wushy, woe-is-me crybabies trying to mask their innate inferiority by way of a medical label (or even exalt it as a virtue, as many self-diagnosed retards do online).

As for your point on psychiatrists 'generously prescribing Feel-Good pills', that is just as much a part of my critique of unnecessary therapy. By applying this sort of misguided biological determinism to human behavior, you end up making a pathology out of every deviant behavior, even when it is a result of poor thought rather than poor (mental) health. So yes, therapy is more often than not a mistake and a fraud when applied to the life issues of the entire population.
Look, I understand your position and even agree in parts, but the thing is:
-You're not talking about psychotheraphists
-you're not talking about depression.
The former is a protected occupational title in most jurisdictions, you can't just open a shack with a sign reading 'Prof. Magnat, sanitary installations and psychotherapy'. I'm as sceptical towards self-proclaimed counselors, guides or whatever that recommend family constellations or bach flower therapies as you are, but actual psychologists, psychiatrists and psychotherapists have a higher standard.
As for the latter it's a rather well-described and -defined medical condition. I can't diagnose whether OP - or actually anyone - has depression or not, and I doubt you can either. But since this thread is about games for people with depression and not 'games for people that are mushy wushy woe-is-me crybabys tryiong to mask their inferiority by a medical label', why not just go with that premise and talk about, well, depression?

Vatnik Wumao
Magnat, your post is so incredibly dumb; I refrain from quoting it because you probably want to delete it and pretend that it never existed - you have my sympathies for that.
Now I don't know how situation's like where you live, but let me explain how psychotherapy works here: It's free of charge for the client, the health insurance pays for 25 sessions or more if necessary. So here your antisemitism already falls flat on the nose. Do you know who pays big money? The therapists. Once you got your psychology or medical degree, you have to go through a several years long expensive training, including holding several hundred supervised and unpaid therapy sessions, before you are allowed to call yourself a psychotherapist and help people. This is because health care wants to ensure people are actually qualified to offer therapy, instead of just prescribing pills or telling people to 'just toughen up, lol'.
By the way, do you know how Mr Shekelberg actually makes big money? Let me tell you: By generously prescribing Feel-Good pills with minimal time investment for consultation.
As for your second paragraph: Depression is a mental illness.
I wasn't talking about your 'here', comrade; so yes, I stand by what I said. Private practices that are open to one and all without any medical referral are a scam and I am against them. Just because you have institutionalized, insurance-paid whining sessions in the West does not make it an universal phenomenon (though I do applaud that it offers the possibility for consultation when it is needed). My main issue with the willy-nilly promotion of therapy going around nowadays is that it promotes a culture of victimhood and removes the self-accountability of people for their own shortcomings in life. I acknowledge the fact that depression is a mental illness, yet most of those that claim to be depressed are simply mushy-wushy, woe-is-me crybabies trying to mask their innate inferiority by way of a medical label (or even exalt it as a virtue, as many self-diagnosed retards do online).

As for your point on psychiatrists 'generously prescribing Feel-Good pills', that is just as much a part of my critique of unnecessary therapy. By applying this sort of misguided biological determinism to human behavior, you end up making a pathology out of every deviant behavior, even when it is a result of poor thought rather than poor (mental) health. So yes, therapy is more often than not a mistake and a fraud when applied to the life issues of the entire population.
Look, I understand your position and even agree in parts, but the thing is:
-You're not talking about psychotheraphists
-you're not talking about depression.
The former is a protected occupational title in most jurisdictions, you can't just open a shack with a sign reading 'Prof. Magnat, sanitary installations and psychotherapy'. I'm as sceptical towards self-proclaimed counselors, guides or whatever that recommend family constellations or bach flower therapies as you are, but actual psychologists, psychiatrists and psychotherapists have a higher standard.
As for the latter, I can't diagnose whether OP - or actually anyone - has depression or not, and I doubt you can either. But since this thread is about games for people with depression and not 'games for people that are mushy wushy woe-is-me crybabys tryiong to mask their inferiority by a medical label', why not just go with that premise and talk about, well, depression?
Certainly, but here we are criticizing two different systems. As already stated, what I am complaining about is the system in which psychological cabinets exist as private enterprises which, on the backdrop of an indiscriminate social promotion of therapy as a miracle worker for all of our personal fuckups, exploit gullible people with overpriced sessions that are at best a way of letting things off your chest and at worst a means of internalizing one's own sense of (self-perceived) defectiveness.

As for your second point, I do not think that either of us would be able to recommend games for people suffering of clinical depression given that neither of us has experienced it first hand (presumably). At most we can recommend games that are enjoyable and/or uplifting when you are feeling down, the latter being the way in which I perceive the 'spirit' of the thread, if not the 'letter'.

Anyhow, I do hope that I've managed to make the nuances of my stance clear in that I do not deny the scientifically proven benefits of psychotherapy nor discourage the practice when it is appropriate.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
If you are saying that your ability to deal with emotions is ~15% reduced, big fucking deal.
if i cut your feet i'm cutting 15% of your ability to move but actually i'm cutting your ability to walk by 100%.
I prefer cutting 15% of his heart out as comparison.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom