Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Command & Conquer Remastered Collection from Petroglyph

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Why would anyone be hyped about the remaster of a game which has been free for years together with Nyerguds' patch, or when something like OpenRA exists?
I'm certainly interested and the care they seem to be putting into it is remarkable, but I fail to see any reason to be hyped -higher definition both in visuals and sound are nice things, but there's no novelty to be excited about.
Hopefuly it'll be a correct remaster that will allow people to uninstall C&CGold and RAftermath, but that's about it; it's what a remaster is supposed to accomplish. A proper C&C4, Generals 2 or even Renegade 2 with EA betting on a long life cycle (ayyy lmao), that would be another thing.
Maybe the remaster is a sign of things to come, but we aren't that fabulously optimistic around here.

Better soundtrack, sounds, graphics, mechanics, UI, interface and multiplayer support?

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Better soundtrack, sounds, graphics, mechanics?
No new missions? Story? Cut-scenes?

AFAIK no new content, but who knows? Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised. Yes cutscenes might be upscaled and remastered, I don't think that's actually confirmed though. I guess they get upscaled abit to 1080p or some shit at the very least

Story would also be the same as the content is the same. It's a remaster, not a remake, mind you.

Dayyālu

Arcane
And OpenRA sucks ass.

Plis elaborate

The MP balance of baseline C&C is nothing short of horrendous

The OpenRA devbase is *TYPICAL MODDER* but at least they try

Better than what we'll get here for sure

EDIT:
Also, for the interested parties, I'd suggest to check 8-bit armies, for a Petroglyph-powered RTS that show clearly they aren't tired to redo the same game all over again for no reason

Also less concurrent players than the majority of old Westwood games, that one must sting

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Generally not fond of remasters but that looks sexy. RA was my first RTS as well. If they can repeat what SCR did count me in.

My very first RTS was Z - but RA was my second and thus has a very special place in my heart. I have fond memories of its varied mission design and its charmingly goofy cutscenes - and of the brutal beauty of the Mammoth tank. The screenshots look really nice, perfectly preserving the distinct and unique aesthetics of the game and giving it some careful polish. I'm interested.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Look at them young fags around here. I started with Dune 2 and my PC didn't have mouse... Alos group selection wasn't a thing yet, so I was attacking 1 by 1 with keyboard. Bloody sonic tanks were a pain mostly because of this.
Also Populus&Settlers <3
Then came Warcraft where I could pick 4! units at once. Such tech wow.
Then the flood gates opened and we were drawning RTS. Those were the days...

:negative:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Video on what they are doing with the FMV's, TL;DW summary in spoiler below as this is 16 minutes long:

While a cache of old westwood tapes was miraculously saved from going to the dumpster and re-discovered, no high quality video master tape of TD or RA FMV's was found so the best they could do is upscale the footage shipped with the game CDs. Personally I think it looks kind of meh and would rather watch the pixelated old version at 15 frames per second.

On the flip side B-takes and behind the scenes footage videos were discovered, along with some old music tapes of never included music etc. That is going to be included with the games as bonazs content. Also RA will get the RA: Retaliation FMVs for the expansion missions.

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Video on what they are doing with the FMV's, TL;DW summary in spoiler below as this is 16 minutes long:

While a cache of old westwood tapes was miraculously saved from going to the dumpster and re-discovered, no high quality video master tape of TD or RA FMV's was found so the best they could do is upscale the footage shipped with the game CDs. Personally I think it looks kind of meh and would rather watch the pixelated old version at 15 frames per second.

On the flip side B-takes and behind the scenes footage videos were discovered, along with some old music tapes of never included music etc. That is going to be included with the games as bonazs content. Also RA will get the RA: Retaliation FMVs for the expansion missions.

Nothing special to say 'I struggle to trust EA', especially after learning the full extent of the hell they put Westwood and its remnants through, but it's hard to not get hopeful given the very direct, no bs, and open form of communication from this project.

Still, I wonder why this video is unlisted or why they're talking on OpenRA's forum of all places? This is all just so atypical of EA, I can't help but wonder if this got personally got greenlit by one of the higher ups. Maybe someone can correct me, but this all just seems so alien for them? Almost outside their internal rules.

(Will try to remain optimistic, if only because I ended up getting Tiberium Wars/Kane's Wrath and RA3/Uprising -- and Tiberium Twilight, but the less said about that the better -- for free when moving my old keys to Origin. That always made me think someone still cared about the series despite the farce of its finale and fate.)

Hellraiser

Arcane
Seems we'll also get some bonazs covers/rearrangements of tracks by Frank Klepacki and the Tiberian Sons, in addition to the remastered original tracks they've previewed a while back. Mostly it is the covers already performed live at MAGfeat etc. just recorded in a studio. It will be possible to include them in the game music playlist if one wants to.

Seems they are not limited to just the first 2 games as grinder and I've got a present for you will also be amongst the arrangements in the game. 20 tracks total.

Also collection contents reveal in 17 hours:

Last edited:

A horse of course

Dune 2 (Acorn Archimedes port) chads rise up. I still haven't been able to play a working copy of Emperor: Battle for Dune :negative:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://wccftech.com/command-conquer-remastered-collection-to-launch-on-june-5th-origin-and-steam/
Command & Conquer Remastered Collection to Launch on June 5th (Origin and Steam)
By Alessio Palumbo
1 min ago
Share Tweet Submit

Command & Conquer Remastered Collection will launch on June 5th via Origin and Steam, Electronic Arts announced today. This is a compilation of Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn, Command & Conquer: Red Alert and their three expansion packs - Covert Ops, Counterstrike and The Aftermath, made by some of the original Westwood Studios team members now at Petroglyph.

Command & Conquer Remastered Collection was also developed in conjunction with the C&C community. An active Community Council has provided feedback since 'early production with '24/7 access' to the development team. The game features rebuilt graphics and textures with up to 4K resolution support, a remastered soundtrack, revamped UI, updated controls, a map editor, and a modern multiplayer experience with custom games, 1v1 quick match, Elo-based matchmaking, leaderboards, replays.

Warcraft III: Reforged Future Patches to Address Classic Mode Visuals Issues, Add Online Features and More

Jim Vessella, Lead Producer at EA, stated:

Our team has been working hand-in-hand with the C&C community since day one and we hope this transparent dialogue will result in the Command & Conquer Remastered Collection being a love letter to our fans. We’re taking the classic gameplay that ushered in a new era of the RTS genre and adding the most fan requested features like Skirmish mode for Tiberian Dawn, quality of life control improvements, and full Steam integration with UGC support. For me personally, having been a C&C fan since I was 12 years old in 1995, working with the original Westwood Studios team members at Petroglyph has been a dream come true.

Command & Conquer Remastered Collection can now be pre-ordered on the official website, with the following editions available.

• Command & Conquer Remastered Collection (Digital) - $19.99 USD - Only available on Origin and Steam and includes the remastered versions of Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert, plus all three expansion packs (Covert Operations, Counterstrike, and The Aftermath), and tons of bonus features and improvements.

• Special Edition (Physical) - $59.99 USD - Only available on Limited Run Games, this edition comes in a 2-piece big box with embossing treatments and includes a Steam digital download code, Tiberium crystal 16GB USB drive with remastered original soundtrack (119 tracks, over 7 hours of music including the album, “Frank Klepecki and the Tiberian Sons: Celebrating 25 Years of Command & Conquer”); reversible 18” X 24” poster, four factional enamel pins, tech tree prints (one for each faction), and faction sticker sheet.

• 25th Anniversary Edition (Physical) - $149.99 USD - Only available on Limited Run Games, this edition includes all items in the Special Edition plus a beautiful foil and embossed rigid box, six-disc remastered original soundtrack signed by Frank Klepacki, 100+ page art book, four faction patches, reversible beanie, metal mammoth tank replica, and painted PVC light and sound tesla coil and obelisk replicas.

Why no Tiberian Sun?

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Those cinematics and animations look CRISP.

Dope that it's on Steam and not an origin exclusive!

(Kinda annoyed at myself for how much I want that 150 USD collectors edition though.)

Last edited:

Terra

Cipher
Do you get both an Obelisk & Tesla Coil in the collectors, or is it just one or the other.
Looks really good, definitely a day one pickup, provided no surprise shenanigans from EA.

MachineCommander

Educated
Holy shit, this is better than I expected.

Definitely getting that $150 anniversary edition box.

Hopefully they'll do a remaster of Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 if this is successful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom