Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Parasite Eve remake hinted at [clickbait thread]

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Final Fantasy 7 Remake Producer Thinks It'd Be a 'Waste' to Not Return to Parasite Eve

Yoshinori Kitase, the director of the original Final Fantasy 7 and producer of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake, thinks "it would be a waste" to not use the game's characters again in some form.

Kitase said this during an interview with Japanese wrestler Kenny Omega for the official Square Enix YouTube channel. Omega brought up the fact that Kitase was the producer for The 3rd Birthday, which was the third and so far final game in the Parasite Eve series, released for PSP in Japan in 2010.

Omega then asked Kitase if he would like to see more Parasite Eve in the future. "The characters are very deep and rich, especially Aya Brea," Kitase said. "I don't know of any plans right now, but it would be a waste to not use those characters."

Clearly angling for a remake or another original game in the Parasite Eve series, Omega responded saying that, "horror games are very popular right now, and Parasite Eve had some RPG elements to it. It was very original and unique, so I think now is a good time… Parasite Eve has a very unique game style. There are no games like it right now."

Omega is likely referencing the fact that Capcom has seen a lot of success by remaking horror games such as Resident Evil 2 and the upcoming Resident Evil 3.

Parasite Eve started out life as a 1995 sci-fi novel written by Hideaki Sena. Square made a video game released in 1998 that acted as a sequel to the novel, while at the same time, two Parasite Eve mangas and a film adaptation were released. In 1999, Parasite Eve 2 was released, and the spin-off game The 3rd Birthday came out much later in 2010.

The games follow a New York police officer called Aya Brea who has to fight a powerful entity called Eve and the horrific creatures she controls as she tries to take over Earth. The first game was particularly unusual, especially for a survival horror game, as it has some RPG elements.

This includes active-time combat, similar to the original Final Fantasy 7, during which time can be paused and actions take up certain amounts of time. Parasite Eve 2 dropped this in favour of real-time combat more typical of survival horror games.

On the one hand a beautiful rendered Aya Brea with 2020 graphics would be NNNNNGGGGH, on the other hand they'd probably make her black or a tranny or something :/

Momock

Augur
If they make a remake the gameplay will probably be more faithfull than in any other remake they've done, since it already was a mix of real-time and turn based (they seem to like that shit at SquareEnix nowadays).

laclongquan

Arcane
Good direction. PE1 is so blocky pixelated I dont bother to play it too long.

PE2 is, needless to say, three runs back to back.

PE2 is a mixed of horror plus survival. You gotta collect loots and buy it enough so you feel safe~ And the tactical aspect of WHEN level up to make use of the recovery benefit is a nice one too.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Corporate drone: It would be a waste not to monetize product

"We have product," stated corporate drone #14657, "and it just makes sense to monetize product in a way that minimizes thought or creativity, for eventual consumption by consumers."

laclongquan

Arcane
Corporate drone: It would be a waste not to monetize product

"We have product," stated corporate drone #14657, "and it just makes sense to monetize product in a way that minimizes thought or creativity, for eventual consumption by consumers."
Creativity is a PR-marketing buzzword. true corporate drone know only profit/cost matter. Discussion among drones mention creativity little if any.

Cromwell

Arcane
How long did they take from "yeah we remake FF7" to release the first episode of god knows how many ones they decided to cut the original up in?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
How long did they take from "yeah we remake FF7" to release the first episode of god knows how many ones they decided to cut the original up in?
It's gonna be 4. They've stated the first game covers disc one, so I fully expect (at most) around 4.

Exhuminator

Arcane

I imagine that was the plan almost from the outset. SQEX knows they've got a gilded udder that spews money in their hands. Might as well modify that udder to have as many teats as possible.

Exhuminator

Arcane
Capture.png

Ha. It was like dis:

costumequest%20(79).jpg

costumequest%20(80).jpg

Remember how great gaming was before a bunch of SJW faggots shit everything up?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You're bringing this up as if a) this isn't allowed in other games, and b) this wasn't hated by Parasite Eve fans when it first came out.

I distinctly remember, and to this day, many fans of the original PS1 game hating the action setpieces, the fanservice, and the clothing mechanic. I think it's pretty nice but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd rather have something closer to the original game than this.

Exhuminator

Arcane
You're bringing this up as if a) this isn't allowed in other games, and b) this wasn't hated by Parasite Eve fans when it first came out.
I had already beaten and enjoyed PE1 and PE2 before playing 3rd Birthday. I did not hate 3rd Birthday's clothing mechanic nor its change in gameplay direction. Rather I enjoyed it quite a lot. So not every series "fan" felt that way. Just the vocal cuck minorities.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
never bothered playing either the sequel or the 3rd game, both looked like shit.

Drakron

Arcane
never bothered playing either the sequel or the 3rd game, both looked like shit.
Sequel is great, plays differently but its great ... honestly the FF system of PE didnt work very well since as FF is a party base game with facing multiple enemies, PE you just control one character and most battles are against just one enemy and feels bloated with things you end up never really using with PE2 speeding up combat without really losing anything since most options are there.

From what I heard 3rd Birthday is a mess, also that the fact Aya now looks like Lighting isnt entirely coincidental.

Vatnik Wumao
I vaguely remember Lightning being the dream waifu of one of the senior devs at Square so they put her in almost every game that they were churning out.

Exhuminator

Arcane
I vaguely remember Lightning being the dream waifu of one of the senior devs at Square

She was Tetsuya Nomura's creation and obsession. The same fucko that ruined pretty much all of Square's aesthetics and character designs once he came onboard.

jungl

Augur
Parasite eve was squares most successful "experimental" franchise. Both one and two were really good games. 2 actually succeed in being scary compared to first game.

Third birthday was apparently dogshit and I never played it. You can't do fan service with parasite eve or it kills the whole fucking serious theme the setting has going for it and makes it coomer shit. Japs are retarded.

ADL

Prophet
Last week, it was discovered that Square Enix had filed a trademark for something called Symbiogenesis, which all seemed very exciting at the time. Given the word choice and the recent surge in horror game remakes (such as Resident Evil 4 and Silent Hill 2), many believed/hoped that this was for a remake of 1998’s Parasite Eve. Or at least something related to the series, which has been dormant since 2010’s The 3rd Birthday.

In what can only be described as a double whammy of disappointment, not only is Symbiogenesis completely unrelated to Parasite Eve, but it’s also an NFT project. Said trademark never actually mentioned Parasite Eve by name, but symbiogenesis is an actual evolutionary theory that served as the basis for the original Parasite Eve book that the game is a sequel to.

Square Enix will likely never answer this question but why use that word for the title if it’s got nothing to do with Parasite Eve? Perhaps the simplest answer is that those involved didn’t realise the possible connection or just forgot Parasite Eve is a Square Enix IP.
Announced via an incredibly vague Twitter teaser, Square Enix calls Symbiogenesis a ‘brand new entertainment content set in a self-contained world where a wide cast of characters symbiosis, all of which can be collected as digital art.’

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom