Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Also, I don't understand the hate towards PoE-II. Well, besides being the Codex autism syndrome. The main story of the game is appalling, but the only reason for it is trying to stretch the tale that is already told and finished. The rest of the game is very good, especially with the gambit / tactics system for programming A.I.

And PoE-I is just a masterpiece with its brilliant central plot.

There are other issues as well, such as companion writing and the initially extremely low difficulty.

In general though I feel like it did a lot of things very well but they made bad narrative decisions, lost all their good writers and fucked up the marketing campaign&launch. This doesn't mean the game is irredeemable trash though and I quite like it in its current state.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
BarbequeMasta They screwed up difficulty in the release version of PoE-II and fixed it later. Complaining about it now is like complaining about Kingmaker being unplayable at the release.

The story is terrible because nothing can beat the reveal at the end of PoE-I. There is no continuation of this tale.

Edit: and when I'm reading "bad writing" I wish this person dies from small cell lung cancer in the next 1-2 years.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
BarbequeMasta They screwed up difficulty in the release version of PoE-II and fixed it later. Complaining about it now is like complaining about Kingmaker being unplayable at the release.

The story is terrible because nothing can beat the reveal at the end of PoE-I. There is no continuation of this tale.

Edit: and when I'm reading "bad writing" I wish this person dies from small cell lung cancer in the next 1-2 years.
Fair enough, I'll try to skip dialogue and give the game another chance after I finish my current Kingmaker replay. I liked POE1 and especially WM enough to give the game a second chance.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
There is no way to rationalize that. Whatever they come up with, it will be stupid.
What?! There's probably hundreds of ways!
  • It's secret and nobody else actually fucking knows.
  • It's a slow, creeping corruption and you're originally unaware of it, narratively speaking.
  • You've been sponsored by another demon to fuck over the demons, under the promise that the demon sponsoring you will leave the prime alone.
  • You're just using the powers of the enemy against them, willing tl sacrifice your undying soul for victory.
It's not even that hard! And even if the explanations and rationalizations are bad, they're there. They're going to be part of the storyline. It's not like my stupid-ass on-the-spot excuse for being a paladin on a stegosaurus was some majestic storytelling, but the point is that I feel like there should be something. I just don't think that's going to happen, though, because it's simply an unreasonable amount of work for a relatively small facet of the game.
And PoE-I is just a masterpiece with its brilliant central plot.
... I.. what? It.. are..is your choice of name unironic?

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
Couldn't care less about the dinosaur stretchgoal. Just give us ratfolk.
n70u6yqt7o421.png

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well the world wound is supposed to attract heroes all across the world for the crusade but on the other hand for Kingmaker they kept things focused on the region.

So I think your chances are 50/50.
See, if I could, for example, establish that I'm a member of some knightly cavalier or paladin order in a chelaxian colony in Maztica, and that our things are medium armor, feathers, and riding stegosauri, I'd be fine with dinosaurs.

I'm just not seeing that happening. Most likely, you'll show up with a fucking velicoraptor and it'll be treated as perfectly normal.
In a game where they will let a Demon lead an army vs demons this is the smaller problem.
No, because that will no doubt be rationalized and explained. You won't just pick "demon" on character creation, show up at the gates and have the commander go "'sup? You in? Cool."
There is no way to rationalize that. Whatever they come up with, it will be stupid.
What? There is A LOT of infighting among the demons, they're chaotic in nature. For instance, Areshkagal's (the demon lord from one of the stretch goals) greatest enemy is another demon lord, her half-sister.

It's perfectly plausible that a demon would fight other demons (even if they are trying to do stuff which would seemingly benefit all demons, like stretching Worldwound across all Golarion).
That is not what I am talking about. There is no way to rationalize that a Crusade led mostly by paladins and angels would let their mortal enemy be in charge. They would never agree with replacing one Demon with another.
Lich is already stretching it but I can see situations where you gain power slowly until you can remove all the paladins and Angels and do it your way. But being a Demon from the start and everyone ignoring it?!

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Hybrid classes are often straight-up more powerful than pure core/base/occult classes (bloodrager can theoretically just replace barbarian 9 ways out of 10)

I think the only literal difference between a Barbarian and a primalist archetype bloodrager (can optionally swap bloodline abilities for 2 rage powers) is d12 vs d10 hitdice.

The tiny loss of hp becomes pretty irrelevant when you consider the fact bloodragers have access to tons of great defensive spells like mirror image and displacement.

Arcane bloodragers can even get displacement or haste entirely for free when they rage without even having to waste time casting it.
Yeah, I missed the downgrade in Hit Dice. Anotjer minor issue is that a Primalist Bloodragers can't actually take feats that depend on having rage powers, despite being able to take rage powers, so notably, they can't take the Extra Rage Power feat, which is a favorite for Barbarians.

But that's about it.

Conceptually, I fucking love bloodragers. It' sad that they got so ignored as soon as they'd been released.
Couldn't care less about the dinosaur stretchgoal. Just give us ratfolk.
Skaven are gay, we all know that the future lies with the almighty hamsterite subrace.

VnmxovT.jpg

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Well the world wound is supposed to attract heroes all across the world for the crusade but on the other hand for Kingmaker they kept things focused on the region.

So I think your chances are 50/50.
See, if I could, for example, establish that I'm a member of some knightly cavalier or paladin order in a chelaxian colony in Maztica, and that our things are medium armor, feathers, and riding stegosauri, I'd be fine with dinosaurs.

I'm just not seeing that happening. Most likely, you'll show up with a fucking velicoraptor and it'll be treated as perfectly normal.
In a game where they will let a Demon lead an army vs demons this is the smaller problem.
No, because that will no doubt be rationalized and explained. You won't just pick "demon" on character creation, show up at the gates and have the commander go "'sup? You in? Cool."
What? There is A LOT of infighting among the demons, they're chaotic in nature. For instance, Areshkagal's (the demon lord from one of the stretch goals) greatest enemy is another demon lord, her half-sister.

It's perfectly plausible that a demon would fight other demons (even if they are trying to do stuff which would seemingly benefit all demons, like stretching Worldwound across all Golarion).
That is not what I am talking about. There is no way to rationalize that a Crusade led mostly by paladins and angels would let their mortal enemy be in charge. They would never agree with replacing one Demon with another.
Lich is already stretching it but I can see situations where you gain power slowly until you can remove all the paladins and Angels and do it your way. But being a Demon from the start and everyone ignoring it?!
I assume since it's a mythic path the Demon, Angel, et al. will gain their power slowly over time. For whatever narrative reason they dream up.

jerfdr

Educated
It turns out that Obsidian actively helped Owlcats when they were developing Kingmaker, going as far as giving Owlcats access to PoE2 development information:
While working on Kingmaker, developers actively communicated with colleagues from Obsidian, but now they do it less often: Kingmaker was the first Owlcat Games game, so it was important for developers to learn how the workflow is organized when creating CRPG. But now the studio has gained experience, so there is no need for such close contact.

Oleg Shpilchevsky - head of Owlcat Games - said:
Obviously, having common interests in the RPG genre, we could not help communicating [...] Moreover, I will not hide, at some point we had fairly expanded access to information on the development of Pillars of Eternity II - we could see how some things are arranged. And this is very valuable, because, despite all the previous experience, there are always some genre nuances, how best to build development, how best to loop processes.
From the interview I've posted above (via Google Translate).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess they also filtered out some negative examples, but it would be bad form to mention it.

Also, they had Chris Avellone to advise on project organisation, with all his experience at Obsidian.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Fuuuuuuck. I had completely forgotten that they're adding Warpriest.

That means that my autistic build just got even worse.

Aasimar Paladin/Warpriest/Inquisitor/Cleric/Oracle, Angel Mythic Path.
Might squeeze in some Sorcerer, too, either Empyreal archetype or Celestial bloodline.

:lol:

I assume since it's a mythic path the Demon, Angel, et al. will gain their power slowly over time. For whatever narrative reason they dream up.
Yeah, they've said numerous times that they want to tie the mythic paths into the narrative a lot, and it's very obvious that you don't instantly turn into a literal demon or whatever; we saw dialogue with choices like "give in to your inner demon".

While we don't know if that's how it's going to be, the fact that it was shown as an option demonstrates their current intent, at the very least.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The post-craze crowdfunding ceiling for RPGs being 2 million/30-40 thousand isn't disastrous but still a bit disappointing. :M

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom