Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gyor

Savant
It seems redundant to me, being the hybrid of ranger and druid, while the ranger is already a mixed fighter/druid, but I'm no expert.

Hunter is very similar to Sacred Huntmaster inquisitor from P:K, but gets 6 level of Druid/Ranger's spell instead of Cleric's. Similar focus on free teamwork feats that could be shared on pet.
Only unique thing he has is Animal focus:
At 1st level, a hunter can take on the aspect of an animal as a swift action. She must select one type of animal to emulate, gaining a bonus or special ability based on the type of animal emulated and her hunter level. The hunter can use this ability for a number of minutes per day equal to her level. This duration does not need to be consecutive, but must be spent in 1-minute increments. The hunter can emulate only one animal at a time.

The hunter can also apply one of these aspects to her animal companion. Unlike with the hunter herself, there is no duration on the animal aspect applied to her animal companion. An aspect applied in this way does not count against the hunter’s minutes of duration per day—it remains in effect until the hunter changes it. The companion’s aspect can be the same aspect the hunter has taken on or a different one. The hunter can select or change the animal foci on both herself and her animal companion as part of the same swift action.

If the hunter’s animal companion is dead, the hunter can apply her companion’s animal focus to herself instead of her animal companion. This is in addition to the normal one she can choose, and (as with a companion’s focus) remains in effect until the hunter changes it instead of counting against her minutes per day.

Bat: The creature gains darkvision to a range of 60 feet. At 8th level, the range increases by 30 feet. At 15th level, the creature also gains blindsense to a range of 10 feet.

Bear: The creature gains a +2 enhancement bonus to Constitution. This bonus increases to +4 at 8th level and +6 at 15th level.

Bull: The creature gains a +2 enhancement bonus to Strength. This bonus increases to +4 at 8th level and +6 at 15th level.

Falcon: The creature gains a +4 competence bonus on Perception checks. This bonus increases to +6 at 8th level and +8 at 15th level.

Frog: The creature gains a +4 competence bonus on Swim checks and on Acrobatics checks to jump. These bonuses increase to +6 at 8th level and +8 at 15th level.

Monkey: The creature gains a +4 competence bonus on Climb checks. This bonus increases to +6 at 8th level and +8 at 15th level.

Mouse: The creature gains evasion, as the rogue class feature. At 12th level, this increases to improved evasion, as the rogue advanced talent.

Owl: The creature gains a +4 competence bonus on Stealth checks. This bonus increases to +6 at 8th level and +8 at 15th level.

Snake: The creature gains a +2 bonus on attack rolls when making attacks of opportunity and a +2 dodge bonus to AC against attacks of opportunity. These bonuses increase to +4 at 8th level and +6 at 15th level.

Stag: The creature gains a 5-foot enhancement bonus to its base land speed. This bonus increases to 10 feet at 8th level and 20 feet at 15th level.

Tiger: The creature gains a +2 enhancement bonus to Dexterity. This bonus increases to +4 at 8th level and +6 at 15th level.

Wolf: The creature gains the scent ability with a range of 10 feet. The range of this sense increases to 20 feet at 8th level and 30 feet at 15th level. The range doubles if the opponent is upwind, and is halved if the opponent is downwind.

tldr version - up to 3 buffs from thematic pool he can chose for himself and his pet and switch freely when needed.

There are few more things. Like weirdly the Hunter is a Spontaneous Caster unlike either Druids or Rangers, and gets various buffs to his Companion like Improved Empathic Link (basically the Companion acts like a Familiar minus the Intelligence buff).

The tough part will be how does it deal with all the tracking bonus abilities Hunter's get as it levels. What do they replace those features with?

Personally I'd just give them the Summon Nature's Ally version of the Monster Tactician's Summon Monsters SLA, to replace all the abilities they weren't be able to grant to the Hunter.

Maybe they will also get the alternate capstone ability of a second Animal Companion of -4 levels (fixable with a feat).

Gyor

Savant
Frankly, rather than do enough DLC to warrant a season pass, they should do an expansion pack. This could be done by giving a new story based on either one of the modules like Crypt of the Everflame trilogy (part 2 is crap because it flat out tells you to make shit up if the PCs aren't retarded, but part 1 is excellent and part 3 is fine), or Dragon's Demand (needs a lot of expansion since it's notorious for being skeletal to the point it needs filler combat to meet the level range it wants) or one of the linear dungeon crawl APs (Rise of the Runelords). Add new classes (Investigator and Mesmerist. Could add Psychic on top of those since their sole problem is "Why not just play Sorcerer?" than actually being hard to implement or total crap.) and whatever new feats/archetypes/spells they can fit in.

I wonder how pets work with paths. Would be silly if you become a lich with a giant mammoth or dinosaur running around you. I doubt they will make skeletal models for every pet just for that. How would pets stack with azata? You get both havoc dragon AND a pet? 8 permanent bodies feel broken.

In the pnp Mythic, you got the option of a single ability that made your companion mythic and did little else. Pet classes falling apart was one of the big problems with mythic.

Its pretty obvious that Owlcats Mythic Paths will bare little resemblence to the Table Top Mythic Paths, for example your Animal Companions gain Mythic Feats.

Anyways Animal Companions can have Archetypes, so if your a Necromancer just go Deathtouched Animal Companion, so your Companion is Quasi Undead already, like a Dhampir.

Alternately maybe they will have a Lich feat that will turn your animal companion into a Vampire or something.

Gyor

Savant
I just don't know how they can spin a lich or a demon leading the crusade as still being the good guy. The end might be good, but we are killing our companions and lording over undead armies, soooo.

You don't have to be a good guy in this game, you can be evil, but leading it for your own agenda.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm interested whether they'll try to balance the epic with the adventuring. Non-stop sieges and battles against demon lords sound exhausting and there's no gradation of tension.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I'm interested whether they'll try to balance the epic with the adventuring. Non-stop sieges and battles against demon lords sound exhausting and there's no gradation of tension.
No, this was probably in the 1/3 of the game that we won't be made. We're going to be leveling up like mad, so it'll be go go go go go go go. Press button, something awesome happens! Press next button! Level-up!

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Agreed, one thing that kingmaker did pretty well is setting up it's big dungeons/fights with lots of smaller conflics/quests that lead up to it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
For me magic is already getting too mundane with classes like Hunter. I still live with the concept of caster vs non-caster classes where the DM/game designer is responsible for making the game fun for both types.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I just don't know how they can spin a lich or a demon leading the crusade as still being the good guy. The end might be good, but we are killing our companions and lording over undead armies, soooo.

Probably you won't especially for Lich.

The Demon you can justify by being a particularly bloodthirsty guy who uses fire to fight against fire if you show restraint in the story (I am fully expecting "controlling your demon" theme from the Mythic Path). On the other hand, you will succumb to the demonic influence and basically join the demon and probably have a decisive fight against the rest of the crusade.

Undead won't do. Probably early on you can have small justification that the necromancy is just desperate measure in face of certain doom but I am fully expecting the path to be "eat babies, kick puppies, MWAHAHAHA evil overlord" shits. The finale will also probably the rest of the Crusade trying to get rid of shitstain liches from the face of the earth.

It is implied that your faction of the Crusade is less paladin, knight, shining warriors and more of soldiers fighting a war against demon incursion. As you progress through your Mythic path it is also implied that your soldiers will change. Liches would have, well, undead shitstain as their soldier. The demon probably will start employing cutthroats and barbarian and get progressively ragtag until you got some demon cultist and actual demons.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, the evil mythic paths and the campaign are a great backdrop for a "to defeat evil we had to become more like the enemy" kind of story or even a "Heart of Darkness" take, but I don't dare to imagine they writing team could pull it off.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

Besides early Trolls Trouble and just before Vordakai, PfK also throws you into one big happening to another. Even then those downtimes will mostly be spent by skipping days developing your Kingdom.

Most of the adventure happens in PfK when you walk around looking for Mc Guffins to advance the story (looking for info and walking to Trobolds, exploring Varnhold, looking for the cause of the Bloom, looking for Armag, looking for way to defeat Iroveti). This is why exploration is bad in PfK, there really isn't much to explore because you are catapulted into one thing to another. The only major side area I can think off is the Witch House which has its own quest chain and story.

I am fully expecting exploration to be mostly the same with WoR, namely, you are walking around looking for strategic locations and war assets/artifacts.

With lower emphasize on time limit I expect that the game exploration should be better, but I don't see radical departure from PfK structure.

Vatnik Wumao
Dumb ukrop with animu avy.
Слава Україні!
1425212373_000.png

Lacrymas

Arcane

The Demon you can justify by being a particularly bloodthirsty guy who uses fire to fight against fire if you show restraint in the story (I am fully expecting "controlling your demon" theme from the Mythic Path). On the other hand, you will succumb to the demonic influence and basically join the demon and probably have a decisive fight against the rest of the crusade.

Undead won't do. Probably early on you can have small justification that the necromancy is just desperate measure in face of certain doom but I am fully expecting the path to be "eat babies, kick puppies, MWAHAHAHA evil overlord" shits. The finale will also probably the rest of the Crusade trying to get rid of shitstain liches from the face of the earth.

It is implied that your faction of the Crusade is less paladin, knight, shining warriors and more of soldiers fighting a war against demon incursion. As you progress through your Mythic path it is also implied that your soldiers will change. Liches would have, well, undead shitstain as their soldier. The demon probably will start employing cutthroats and barbarian and get progressively ragtag until you got some demon cultist and actual demons.
This sounds cool tbh. It would be interesting if the story "focus" or perspective changes depending on the mythic path. For example, if you are an angel the story revolves around actual paladins and grand battles against the evil forces with the cleansing flame of the light (think maybe Warhammer 40k). But if you are a lich, the framing could be more personal and focused on your party, how the transformation is affecting you and the people around you while trying to fight the very thing you are becoming, culminating in an ultimate choice to either sacrifice your companions for power or not.

I'm hyping myself up, which is not good.

TwoEdge

Scholar

This sounds cool tbh. It would be interesting if the story "focus" or perspective changes depending on the mythic path. For example, if you are an angel the story revolves around actual paladins and grand battles against the evil forces with the cleansing flame of the light (think maybe Warhammer 40k). But if you are a lich, the framing could be more personal and focused on your party, how the transformation is affecting you and the people around you while trying to fight the very thing you are becoming, culminating in an ultimate choice to either sacrifice your companions for power or not.

I'm hyping myself up, which is not good.

That's definitely their plan, the implementation, however, is another matter altogether. Owlcat has proven themselves in my eyes with Kingmaker (mishaps aside), so I'm cautiously optimistic.

pinotto

Literate
already posted here
Divinity: Original Sin 2: $2,032,434 from 42,713 backers

Pillars of Eternity II: $2,157,958 from 33,614 backers

Wrath of the Righteous: $2,054,339 from 35,092 backers

$$$ per backer matters!

Torment Tides of Numenera: $4.188.927 from 74.405 backers :smug:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
already posted here
Divinity: Original Sin 2: $2,032,434 from 42,713 backers

Pillars of Eternity II: $2,157,958 from 33,614 backers

Wrath of the Righteous: $2,054,339 from 35,092 backers

$$$ per backer matters!

Torment Tides of Numenera: $4.188.927 from 74.405 backers :smug:
Yeah, but it's cooler when someone other than Infinitron does it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom