Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Elex

Arbiter
This battle between Pathfinder and BG3 is funny. I thought Codex are turn-based enthusiasts, but now it seems that we prefer RTwP.
Pathfinder is turn based

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Kingmaker was able to capture the feel for whatever reason

Not really. Kingmaker's game feel is about as far from IE as PoE was, just in other ways.
I agree. For me the main culprit was the amount of magical items you get. Insane stuff. At about mid-game I felt like every barrel had a +2 weapon.
What BG did well (for me) is how it made the player feel successful when he'd get a good weapon or armor or spell or ability etc
In P:K you are flooded with everything.

That along with the kingdom management and the bland copy-pasted areas are what made the game mediocre for me. Fun combat though most of the time (when you are not fighting the typical filler mobs)

This is broadening the scope of the discussion a bit, talking about the itemization, kingdom management etc. The feel and pacing of the RTWP combat in PFK is overall very good, way better than PoE. By that i mean that the readability and pacing of combat in PFK makes it much less of a clusterfuck than some of the less successful implementations of RTWP.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
This battle between Pathfinder and BG3 is funny. I thought Codex are turn-based enthusiasts, but now it seems that we prefer RTwP.

I think some people just prefer RTWP in a sequel to an RTWP game. Best thing to do is not think of it as a sequel

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
l[/QUOTE]

If we were to vote, I think most people don't give a fuck or are positive about the game being TB. Baldur's Gate II is like my favourite game ever and I'm in the first camp - maybe even the second since I don't think Larian would do even a half-decent job with RTWP. It's just that the RTWP crowd is pretty vocal.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Fried on the stake

R-13234433-1550433884-1726.jpeg.jpg

Gyor

Savant
I think some people just prefer RTWP in a sequel to an RTWP game. Best thing to do is not think of it as a sequel
So why the sequels of pillars and kingmaker have turn based?

The Kingmaker sequel has a turn-based mode? I thought they explicitly stated it wouldn't have.

They realized that most of the work on already been done for them and so all they had to is refine the turn based fan mode. Plus they wanted to tap into the TB fans market. Easy to do with little effort.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So why the sequels of pillars and kingmaker have turn based?

The Kingmaker sequel has a turn-based mode? I thought they explicitly stated it wouldn't have.

They realized that most of the work on already been done for them and so all they had to is refine the turn based fan mode. Plus they wanted to tap into the TB fans market. Easy to do with little effort.

I'm cautiously optimistic as I think Kingmaker's RTWP system was a mess, but I fucking hope they cut down on the trash mobs. Otherwise TB is gonna be worthless :P

I like trash fights but in long tb games it can be a real hassle, Wiz8 was almost destroyed by them

Weird how TB purists don't like games where they constantly engage in TB combat. Too much of a good thing, perhaps? It's almost as if they want fluid and efficient combat, with the ability to take their time at any given moment to engage in tactical minutiae. Hopefully a developer will devise a solution some day in the near future.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Weird how TB purists don't like games where they constantly engage in TB combat. Too much of a good thing, perhaps? It's almost as if they want fluid and efficient combat, with the ability to take their time at any given moment to engage in tactical minutiae. Hopefully a developer will devise a solution some day in the near future.

No one likes trash mobs in any format, but if they’re there TB is usually not the fastest way to bypass

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The worst part of any RPG is the trash combat (if it has any), it goes against the spirit of the genre. The framing is always centered around a party of individuals, the enemies being faceless mooks instead of actual unique challenges to mirror the party goes against that.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
The worst part of any RPG is the trash combat (if it has any), it goes against the spirit of the genre. The framing is always centered around a party of individuals, the enemies being faceless mooks instead of actual unique challenges to mirror the party goes against that.
It also goes against the spirit of D&D. Most encounters should be meaningful and in some way contribute to the story.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Why are you measuring all RPGs by the same "storyfag" standard with talkative companions and "meaningful" quests?
I, for example, love blobbers where 95% of combat and 95% of game-play in general is a trash combat. And not only blobbers, even true-to-spirit D&D adventure like IWD mostly filled with inconsequential combat encounters.

Imho, spirit of RPG is exactly in making your party & tactic so cool, so good at overcoming game's challenges that it is technically turns most of the "sophisticated" encounters into what you call "trash" (no longer a threat).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Many here would attest to that when I say I'm not a storyfag, but that's not the point. Blobbers are centered around dungeon vs party, not party vs combat, if that makes any sense. Roguelikes are a quest for survival. That's why you have to be specific when you are talking about these things, something which I also neglected doing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom