Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I don't know who is more stupid: the players who cried about this or the devs for actually doing it?

Wait a little for fix patches and the inevitable Enhanced Final Edition (TM) that will eventually be released, as having complete, bug-free games nowadays from day 0 is no longer possible.

To be fair now, Ori and the Blind Forest was complete and bug-free on release (or if there were bugs, I never encountered them). Definitive Edition added more content and some convenience features, it wasn't at all a requirement to enjoy the game. Rather, it was more like a very small expansion.

DraQ

Arcane
I finished Ori 1. Beautiful game, good music.
SinceI Idon't play this kind of games, for me it was an extremely hard game, pure reflexes, however the abilities you gain access to make it easier. The final run from Kuro was the best, as it felt like a test using elements from previously in the game, plus the music.
Can't wait for Ori 2. But after reading a preview a week ago or so I found out that they removed Soul Link, basically the ability to save anywhere, manually in exchange for 1 point of energy and replaced it with autosaves and checkpoints.
There are little things in this world and in gaming that I hate more than autosaves.
Reading some forums I found that players rejoiced at this change. Why? Because they often forgot to save after a tough section. Some called the Soul Link system "unique" and "unusual". It's just quicksaving but with a resource cost. Fucking console morons. The decline is here to stay.
Fuck this gay Earth.

I mean it won't break the game or anything, but soul link was a novel save mechanics that worked extremely well.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Yeah, it's pretty much incredible. Like, as soon as you get over a difficult section you immediately save, it's second nature. But, apparently not. Consoles can't die soon enough.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Well, the game came out a bit early, ahem, in some places and I played it a little.
As with the first one it's just as beautiful, the movement is smooth, platforming gets tough fast, the map is gianormous, you can do various sidequests for some NPCs, there are vendors and some sell abilities like triple jump for 2200, spirit light is now currency instead of XP, there are boss fights (only fought the beginning/tutorial one), some abilities from the first game are now in the form of items called shards which once they are in your inventory you can equip a maximum of three of them.
Again I just played like 2 hours.
Also, and I expected this, issues with the autosave system. They're placed around the map and once you touch them/run past them it saves. An issue is that they're placed close to enemies which means that when you die and respawn you do so in the middle of a crowd of them. GG.
There are still Wells like in Ori 1 where you can manually save, but they're rare and not the main way to save your progress.
Overall, Ori 1, but improved and with combat, a simplistic one at that but that's okay since it's clearly not the focus.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
It is. It's basic but works well. Responsive, no input lag, you have to jump behind some enemies to attack them from behind as that is where their weak spot it. The are flying enemies which are annoying and returning ones from Ori 1.

Edit: you have a sword with good reach, a bow which you use a lot in various puzzles to activate switches as well as in combat, a spear which I haven't got yet but I saw it in a vendor's shop, some upgrades to those but I haven't got them because I'm saving for the triple jump which is 2200 and also probably equippable (I have as equipped items magnet, which makes orbs float to you and sticky, which allows you to grab hold of walls and climb them without jumping constantly, an ability from Ori 1), you have a healing spell now (hold a button and spend 1 energy to heal 3 HP). All these weapons and the heal, you can assign to left click, E, or R. You can reassign them as you get more stuff.
I don't know what other weapons there are, like I said I only played 2 or so hours. I'm still very early in.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Played for a few hours, it's a huge improvement over the first game. Looks a bit better, sounds way better, combat is finally meaningful, RPG elements meatier and there are even boss fights, p. awesome too. Easy recommendation for everyone and for platformer-fags it's p. much mandatory.

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

Yes I bought it and played about an hour and from what I can see the new combat and character customization looks really cool.

Visperas

Augur
How's the game's stability? Any bugs? Should I wait for updates or is it actually ready?

Child of Malkav

Erudite
How's the game's stability? Any bugs? Should I wait for updates or is it actually ready?
I didn't run into any issues. No crashing, no freezing, like literally nothing. Really well polished. I did read some forums about people encountering some bugs, mostly audio related, but like I said, I didn't have any.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i would D1P this if weren't for busy month (Trails of Cold steel 3 and Trails of Zero / Azure )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom