Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Horizon's Gate is a seafaring tactical RPG from the creator of Voidspire Tactics

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Horizon's Gate; Rad Codex

Rad Codex's Voidspire Tactics was one of the underrated gems of 2015 - an exploration-focused SRPG that Codexers liked so much that they often demand that its thread be moved out of the JRPG forum. It was followed up in 2017 with Alvora Tactics, a more modest title focused on combat, while creator Eldiran worked on a full-scale successor. That game was revealed two weeks ago as Horizon's Gate (no Tactics this time), an open-world seafaring RPG set in the same world as Voidspire Tactics and featuring tactical combat both on land and at sea. Here's the trailer and description:

Voyage into the wide world of Eral as an explorer, trader, or privateer. Unravel the secrets behind Dominio's betrayal - or sail off in search of your own adventure.
  • Engage in deep but straightforward tactical combat on land or at sea
  • Explore the world in your ship, then disembark to explore dungeons with your crew
  • Create your crew from 8 playable races, unlock 34 classes, learn & upgrade 150+ abilities, and equip your choice of 100+ passive abilities
  • Build a devastating combat fleet of Ice Reavers and Sea Serpents – or sail past trouble with a small but swift fleet
  • Serve under one of three factions, amass wealth as a trader, or become a reviled pirate
  • Abilities are good for more than just combat – freeze a river to cross it, or grow seeds into vines to scale mountains!
  • Unique fantasy setting – not one elf, orc or goblin in sight
  • Built using the same engine, mechanics, and setting as the highly-rated Voidspire Tactics and Alvora Tactics (however, knowledge of those games is NOT required for Horizon's Gate!)

Horizon's Gate is available on Steam for $20 with a 10% launch discount until next week. Try it out and tell us how it is.

Murk

Arcane
Pretty nice music too - slightly nostalgic in some ways, reminiscent of 'secret of mana'.

I wish the graphics were less on the nose about being SNESy, but oh well; not enough to deter what might be a good game.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
If his previous two releases are anything to go by I'm sure it will be great. Don't forget there's also an itch.io page here if you want to support the creator more directly.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Looks a bit like a mix of pirates + jRPG/SRPG which is a great idea

Jinn

Arcane
Deadfire meets RPG Maker?

I think this statement is selling the game way too short (and I even enjoyed Deadfire). I'm pretty sure this is an engine Rad Codex created from scratch. There's a ton of environmental interactivity and the UI is excellent.

People need to look past the pixel art and recognize there is great functionality and gameplay being presented in these games. Beyond that, I enjoy Eldiran's art and am regularly impressed by his improvements from game to game.

Pearass

Educated
I've never heard of Voidspire Tactics, but this looks fun! It reminds me a lot of being 8 and playing Final Fantasy with my dad. The music and art style really bring me back. Getting ships and the sense of exploration... that's the type of thing that you just can't replicate. Beautiful moments in time.

I miss those days a lot. It's like wanting to go home, but having no home to go back to.

I'm going to try this game out, and see how it goes!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Pirates have me interested. I try to gather every game I can that has pirates. Hell, I played Uultima 2-5 just bombarding people, mobs, towns with ships because.... YARRRRR!!!
933271.jpg

donatello.jpg

stupid gay turtle.

lightbane

Arcane
I'm eagerly awaiting the highly prestigious Codex review. It seems to be similar as the previous ones, for good and bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom