Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION - isometric post-apocalyptic adventure from STASIS developer

Modron

Arcane
Looks like Dead Space crusader no regret look at alike
STASIS_no_remorse_by_ChrisBischoff_stasisgame_dot_com.jpg

agris

Arcane
Patron
Plus the near complete absence of lore means you never know what happened, even at the end of the game.

Can you elaborate? I thought the game did an excellent job of intriguing the player while respecting their intelligence, and characters’ dialogues felt more natural while avoiding lore-dump syndrome, outside of Vesta (tutorial area).

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can you elaborate? I thought the game did an excellent job of intriguing the player while respecting their intelligence, and characters’ dialogues felt more natural while avoiding lore-dump syndrome, outside of Vesta (tutorial area).
Wtf is the penrose? Where did it come from, who made it?

What year is the game set in? Reviews and other interwebs sources say "the distant future" but it seems to be a few hundred years in the future, max.

WTF is the agnate wars? What even is an agnate?

How did humans all disappear or turn into these skellington robot things? And why are there different types like the Caecus?

Who or what we're the Baas? Aliens? We know they built the wardens but why? Why is there DE RAINBOW GAS in the first place?

These and other questions will be answered FUCKING NEVER.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Why do you need all of those questions answered? Is the hallmark of good fictional stories exposition that leaves no stone unturned?

Your feedback seems to be that of a person conditioned to modern tendencies of total gratification, and you are irritated that this piece of entertainment doesn’t bend the knee.

I’m glad of it, it’s the type of story telling that keeps me coming back to Pyke ’s games.

edit: rainbow gas is in reference to the visual impact of ionizing radiation. You did catch the bit where the game told you those rainbow gas clouds were radioactive, right?

Read a book.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure if you interact with the Caecus in a certain way they will explain what happened to them and why they are different and later in the game it makes more sense after a certain encounter.

WallaceChambers

Learned
I dont know how it's possible to play the game and not know what an agnate is. Also all humans didn't dissapear, the mongrels are clearly human, the chinzinyama and hanasi are very clearly humans wearing masks. You can even see their totally sweet human bewbs in the codex sketch. Also, it gets explained very explicitly why the Caecus ended up how they are. You probably just didn't get up to it yet.
The Chinznyama fucked them by pretending to be their god on a transmitter and sent them searching for Leal in hella radiation until their bodies decayed.

This is all stuff that gets answered just by paying attention to the world.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
^ that. i managed to piece out somewhat accurate story just in 1 play trough. tons of things makes sense are connected, tons of things are explained but not TOLD explicitly.

anyway Pyke where did in depth explanation go? :P

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
OK.... here we go.

Just kidding. BUT I will give you some ideas to push your ideas into a certain direction...

In the 1970's, a probe called the Dromedaris was sent through a tear in space... (if you look at Marks notebook, you will see the word DROMEDARIS written over one of the photos).

You could almost think of the Penrose as the shell of an oyster, with the probe at its 'center.' (or as 'center' as you get on an impossible 3 sided shape).

The Penrose does have an initial origin point in the world - but not necessarily in the same linear time as it currently exists. It doesn't so much contain technology as it does contain the ability to move Daris through time.

The Agnates generally live through time in a pseudo non linear fashion because their brains are built using Penrose technology which exists in a pseudo non linear fashion. There is no 'end' or 'beginning'. Its a closed loop, where any point that exists on the loop is both the beginning and the end. Siza and Doli will tell you this.

Memory Walkers are Agnates that have lived enough times to be aware of the non linear nature of time, and act as prophets. The Temple Of Babel that you enter is the embodiment of The Record. Oothee's memory walker describes having seen The Record as a temple of white statues.
The time loop that you are in is predetermined from the minute you arrive in the world, which has technically been predetermined as you leave the loop again.

You are indeed Inja, Variyaar and The Dullahan. Inja means dog in Zulu. :D

Trinities are important in most religions. The number 3 is often repeated in the game. 3 elements needed, 3 arrays, 3 major choices in the game, the 3 sides of the Penrose.
Early on we had each faction worshiping one of the 'gods' - but that became a little too 'on the nose'. In general tho it still fits.
Chiznyama - worship Inja (they grow things, and are generally close to nature).
Hanasi worship Varijaar (war and fire)
Caecus worship Dulahan (they live to explore and travel)

Fley (war and fire)
Mongrels (farmers)
Baas (explorers)

The Nest, Moss and Dr Taylor don't fit this mold.

Depending on the ending you get, Pooch lived her life out at The Kettle, the place where the Maidens worship Inja. Varijaar is said to wear a cloak of skin... Don's leather jacket.

Food for through....if Daris is the one half of the probe... where is Droma?

The Portal Spawner is described as stabilizing a wormhole to travel through time....

All the Agnate soldiers have their personalities created from dead SADF soldiers - yet they all speak with the same voice. Hmmmm...

If you get the 'bad' Pooch ending (ie - be mean to her and she leaves you/you send her away), it reveals something about the Priests Of Tribulation.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
OK.... here we go.

Just kidding. BUT I will give you some ideas to push your ideas into a certain direction...

In the 1970's, a probe called the Dromedaris was sent through a tear in space... (if you look at Marks notebook, you will see the word DROMEDARIS written over one of the photos).

You could almost think of the Penrose as the shell of an oyster, with the probe at its 'center.' (or as 'center' as you get on an impossible 3 sided shape).

The Penrose does have an initial origin point in the world - but not necessarily in the same linear time as it currently exists. It doesn't so much contain technology as it does contain the ability to move Daris through time.

The Agnates generally live through time in a pseudo non linear fashion because their brains are built using Penrose technology which exists in a pseudo non linear fashion. There is no 'end' or 'beginning'. Its a closed loop, where any point that exists on the loop is both the beginning and the end. Siza and Doli will tell you this.

Memory Walkers are Agnates that have lived enough times to be aware of the non linear nature of time, and act as prophets. The Temple Of Babel that you enter is the embodiment of The Record. Oothee's memory walker describes having seen The Record as a temple of white statues.
The time loop that you are in is predetermined from the minute you arrive in the world, which has technically been predetermined as you leave the loop again.

Trinities are important in most religions. The number 3 is often repeated in the game. 3 elements needed, 3 arrays, 3 major choices in the game, the 3 sides of the Penrose.
Early on we had each faction worshiping one of the 'gods' - but that became a little too 'on the nose'. In general tho it still fits.

Fley (war and fire)
Mongrels (farmers)
Baas (explorers)

Depending on the ending you get, Pooch lived her life out at The Kettle, the place where the Maidens worship Inja. Varijaar is said to wear a cloak of skin... Don's leather jacket.

The Portal Spawner is described as stabilizing a wormhole to travel through time....

All the Agnate soldiers have their personalities created from dead SADF soldiers - yet they all speak with the same voice. Hmmmm...

If you get the 'bad' Pooch ending (ie - be mean to her and she leaves you/you send her away), it reveals something about the Priests Of Tribulation.
oh boy there you go messing with my mind again lol. i am pretty sure that there are some major bombs in there. thanks. next time i replay it i will keep these context in mind.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
OK.... here we go.

Fley (war and fire)
Mongrels (farmers)
Baas (explorers)

oh boy there you go messing with my mind again lol. i am pretty sure that there are some major bombs in there. thanks. next time i replay it i will keep these context in mind.

You REALLY wanna have your mind messed with...

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
OK.... here we go.

Fley (war and fire)
Mongrels (farmers)
Baas (explorers)

holy shit.

i've had my suspicions i think this confirms this. again, this is mostly guessing and unlike the long post, when the game is still fresh, it's been 2 weeks and the details is slowly fading.i will do it after work.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
OK.... here we go.

Fley (war and fire)
Mongrels (farmers)
Baas (explorers)

holy shit.

i've had my suspicions i think this confirms this. again, this is mostly guessing and unlike the long post, when the game is still fresh, it's been 2 weeks and the details is slowly fading.i will do it after work.

Wait until you realize that...

Don't click it...
I'm warning you...
Someone turned off the Alexis space stations safety protocols. I wonder what those were in place for....

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
OK.... here we go.

Fley (war and fire)
Mongrels (farmers)
Baas (explorers)

holy shit.

Wait until you realize that...

Don't click it...
I'm warning you...
Someone turned off the Alexis space stations safety protocols. I wonder what those were in place for....
congratulations you just upped 'beautiful desolation second playtrough' in my backlog several times on the notches. definitely after i play the upcoming trails game tho.

Binky

Cipher
It's a really minor thing, but what amused me was finding out
that the Hanasi are smoking Moss seedlings.

Binky

Cipher
I either forgot or missed it. I'll replay the game when I find the time because I played as an asshole a bit and some of those lines are entertaining as hell
Being mean to Pooch at the beach Mark says something like: "Don't fokken threaten me toaster. You're one step away from being a lawn ornament."

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
I either forgot or missed it. I'll replay the game when I find the time because I played as an asshole a bit and some of those lines are entertaining as hell
Being mean to Pooch at the beach Mark says something like: "Don't fokken threaten me toaster. You're one step away from being a lawn ornament."

Give Lebanons list to Thabs at the Kettle Gate.

Binky

Cipher
Ah, I remember now. Along with another comment.
"Hey Piet! Fire up the braai!"

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
OK.... here we go.

Fley (war and fire)
Mongrels (farmers)
Baas (explorers)

Thanks, that's the kind of thing that should be in the game.

To everyone that made stupid comments on my last post, eat shit and die, faggots. Acting all smart and whatnot.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
It's a really minor thing, but what amused me was finding out
that the Hanasi are smoking Moss seedlings.

Did you find out
about the origin of the Fley worms? :D

They were bred to be food?

Also, why do the graphics and the Codex entries show each Fley has 3 worms when they explain that each is paired with 1 worm?

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
All of those story elements are in the game in some form (with the exception of each group worshiping each god, because eh - it just seemed too convenient). - although you may have to take some different dialogue and character paths to get there. :)

Those things bursting out of the head aren't individual worms - they are the breathing apparatus of a single worm. The Grand Maw mentions that the Fley need to be inserted into children because their skulls haven't been knit yet. :)

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ok, this def needs a second playthrough. Any patches planned? Also want to mention: Pyke your interaction with the community is absolutely fantastic! I wish more developers were that engaged, and provided such juicy info. If you ever put out a director's cut with commentary providing all this info in a nice and structured way, it will be a day 1 purchase for me.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Ok, this def needs a second playthrough. Any patches planned? Also want to mention: Pyke your interaction with the community is absolutely fantastic! I wish more developers were that engaged, and provided such juicy info. If you ever put out a director's cut with commentary providing all this info in a nice and structured way, it will be a day 1 purchase for me.

We were planning another patch if the 'hint' system didn't go over well, with some more barks from Pooch and Don to give you a bit of direction - but it seems that people are working within the hints system. We may still add in the additional barks when we do the OSX build (may as well!), but we are still looking at the crazy certification process from Apple before we commit to it.
if there are any patches they will more than likely be for compatibility (like some people had issues with the videos playing, so we are looking at adding the ability to switch codecs in the game engine) - but nothing that will alter gameplay.

And thanks so much for that! I'm trying to thin of a way for us to increase our community interaction on the next game. I was thinking of setting up a YouTube channel or something, with some more behind the scenes stuff. I'm just legit worried that people will see how terribly boring 90% of this job is. :D
I've heard that doing a Discord is worth it as well - but man...I'm too old for this new fangled technology. I only just got the hang of Twitter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom