Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I can't get into Divinity OS games and i can't figure why.

Mazisky

Magister
Every year I reinstall them, play them for 5\6 hours then quit. I can't figure why.

I was able to finish both Pillars, despite their flaws, but it's not cause rtwp, since my favourite franchise of all times is Xcom (and Ja2 was a blast too), both turn based.

On paper, they are what I always wanted, fantasy Rpgs with deep combat, the game i most hyped for atm is Realms Beyond for that reason.

But I can't like those games. When I look around it seems everyone like and praise them, best Crpgs of all time and such.

What's wrong?

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Let me guess, you install them, play through the beginning, can even manage to get somewhat excited about the adventure that you're starting.
Next session you boot the game, takes a little time to figure out what you were trying to do, realise it boils down to a succession of forgettable missions. The dialogues aren't exactly compelling and you start to skim through them. There's barely any hook to the plot, and despite a supposedly treacherous scenario, it feels like you're visiting a vacation resort.
Third session never happens because you just can't bring yourself to boot the game.

I tried to play through DOS2 twice already.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Well, even Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor is more monocled than Divinity OS.

Maybe try ToEE if you haven't already. Or Silent Storm.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Every year I reinstall them, play them for 5\6 hours then quit. I can't figure why.

I was able to finish both Pillars, despite their flaws, but it's not cause rtwp, since my favourite franchise of all times is Xcom (and Ja2 was a blast too), both turn based.

On paper, they are what I always wanted, fantasy Rpgs with deep combat, the game i most hyped for atm is Realms Beyond for that reason.

But I can't like those games. When I look around it seems everyone like and praise them, best Crpgs of all time and such.

What's wrong?

Like any game you have to approach them in the right mind set. If I approach the Temple of Elemental Evil with the view I am going on a gripping existential puzzlebox adventure like Planescape: Torment then every part of the experience is going to underwhelm me; the key to enjoying any form of entertainment is to appreciate it on its own terms, which takes patience, an open mind, and a lot of effort, traits that most people and especially most gamers do not cultivate (and also don't have any incentive to cultivate, because there are a lot of games in the world and replaying old favorites is always an option, especially with mods).

In the case of D:OS, you need to approach it as a lol-zy exploration game where you run around clicking on things and see what happens, what you find, or what you can do.

As it happens, the main plot in both games often put you in the role of an investigator (Source Hunters, Godwoken looking for teachers to help you use your powers) that involve running around clicking on things and seeing what happens.

If you are absolutely and fundamentally opposed to a game that is about running around, clicking on things, and discovering lol-zy characters and situations, then it is going to be difficult to appreciate D:OS on its own terms -- the whole point of the game is how reactive the environment is, how comically absurd a setting Rivellon is, and how you can go so far as to kill everyone in sight and still win the game.

Divinity: Original Sin are games that appeal to gamers purely in terms of what you can do and find in a fantasy world-- sort of like a programmer's idea of a good fantasy RPG (like Tim Cain's notion that it would be fun to turn people into blood sausage with a giant machine gun -- no real storytelling or characterization at work here, but you can do something awesome in an awesome setting). It's about doing things as a wizard (like finding a teleportation crystal and experimenting with it until you accidentally appear in a woman's bath) rather than going on a wizard's journey (destroy the Horcruxes and fight Voldemort to win the war).

Hey, it would be cool if Harry could actually become a great wizard, kill Dumbledore, ditch Ron + Hermione, throw the Horcruxes in a lake, and still beat Voldemort at the end. That's Divinity: Original Sin.

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I playing Divinity OS 2 and need to say that main problem is the lack of any tangible objective rn to my character. The characters are okay but sometimes they're just too wacky and ''look how funny i'm , right?''.
The combat is neat but isn't amazing like most people shout to be, it's fine , you hit low armor enemy with physical char and low magic armor with magest then you CC everyone, not exctally complex and exploration is the best part of this game, it's pretty oepn ended.

I think people really overhyped this game as ''one the best rpg of the last decade'' (not here but in more mainstream places).. I played like 8-10 hours and until now , and i not impressed by.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Didn't know about Realms Beyond, looks like DOS but not retarded and a non-crapy art style. Which sounds cool so i'll keep an eye for it, thanks!

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
A couple of days ago I wanted to create this exact thread. During the last four years, I tried to play D:OS many times and each playthrough never survived the ten hours mark. I really hated the game: not only I couldn't stand the writing, characters, plot and art style, but I didn't even find the combat fun.

Then I started a new playthrough on Tactician difficulty and things changed radically. I am 30 hours into the game and I am having a blast. Combat became so fun that I even started caring about other aspects of the game, like exploration and solving side quests. The game still has some glaring flaws, but I no longer find them infuriating. I would suggest you to give the game another try on Tactician, just make sure to get the companions as early as possible and buy as many skill books as you can (you can buy archer books from a merchant in the market square, water and air books from another merchant in the same square, fire and earth books from the cat-guy, warrior books from the guy at the first floor in the cat-guy's house, witchcraft and rogue books from a witch on the second floor of the tavern). Just make sure to check on vendors every now and then, because they often sell different stuff.

The party that is working for me is a two-handed fighter as MC1, an all-around mage as MC, then the blonde companion as an archer and the shady wizard companion as another all-around mage. On both mages I am leveling each magic skill, so that I have a lot of options to choose from each turn. You just need to find what works best for you.

Of course I am not saying that this game is for everyone, if you are looking for a "PS:T experience" this obviously won't do. But it can be fun, once you get familiar with the system.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They're really only fun for the combat. I enjoyed the combat in both games quite a bit (the first one more than the second tho, fuck the round robin initiative and the armor system), but the story especially in the first game was so utterly forgettable I don't remember a single thing about it. Except for the cheese merchant. I do remember a couple of combat encounters though.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I think a lot of it has to do with the slightly off-kilter dialog and general system design. Playing a D:OS game feels like eating gluten free pasta -- even if it is cooked perfectly it is going to feel gummy and weird. You will always notice it is a little bit off.

Part of this comes from their reluctance to just cut their "humor." I cannot believe nobody has told them this yet but the Dutch/Flemish/Germans have no sense of humor. None. They are some of the most unfunny people alive. And worse, when they do try to be funny they deteriorate into a cringe-worthy web of scatological humor, childish sex-based "jokes," and an absurd reliance on unfunny gag humor ("Cheese!"). None of it lands. Ever. I mean, I've met Swen once or twice at industry shows and he is a very nice dude in person, easy to talk to, etc. It's not about his personality, or that of his team. But when they start writing jokes? They have me looking for the exit because good Christ, it is unbearable.

The other thing that always feels slightly off is their system designs. They'll have a good idea -- like exploding barrels and interactive environment variables -- but then just go overboard. Instead of having an exploding barrel here or there, every combat set piece has 20 fucking exploding barrels, or there are barrels where it makes no fucking sense to have barrels. Or the armor system from D:OS2. A good idea in practice, but it quickly devolved into mix-maxing your dumb ass party to wipe out whatever (out of the whopping two choices) armor your were up against.

The last thing that really struck me, and this is for D:OS2 more than anything else, was lack of focus and direction. I like big open world games and I like having multiple ways to complete quests and whatnot. But the beginning of that game in particular retained an almost void-like sense of direction and purpose. The Witcher 3 did not have this problem, for example. Because they introduced the giant world eventually after you had learned all of the systems, etc.

Finally, randomized loot is almost always shit for games like these.

Last edited:

overly excitable young man

For a combat focused game there is far too much stupid chattering.
ToEE and KotC knew their strength and focused on it.
D:OSes are filled with stupid dialogue which is just there to copy BGs.

Sykar

Arcane
I only mind TB mode. It becomes weary and dull. :(
Would love divine RTwP a whole lot more.

Dude you got them
tenor.png
:lol:

Reinhardt

Arcane
even Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor is more monocled than Divinity OS
Even? Pool of Radiance is a gud game!
Maybe because i never uninstalled it, just deleted folder with the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom