Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Haven't followed this since announcement. Will it have more fun/diverse character customization and combat than its predecessor, or is it carbon-copying those systems?
They seem to have overhauled it quite a bit from what I can tell.

How so? :)
Afaik we haven't seen the Skills and Perks yet but this is how the attributes look in the beta at least:
038BFB0D42F22CC7CA46DD477F0D9DE39A25C29F

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Isn't that exactly the same?

Anyway, I wasn't talking about the stats-system per se, I'm talking about the fact that in WL2 most fights feel exactly the same because move and fire are basically your only options. For me to be interested in this I'd need at minimum some more character diversity (in the form of a Talent/Perk system for instance) and some more options in combat.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I haven't played the beta but from what I've seen, combat will be closer to nuXCOM combat and we will have more gadgets and tools to use in it. Removing cover and armors etc will come into play.
So yeah I think there is improvement on that area albeit not on an extremely sophisticated manner. Let's say that from what I've seen, combat looks more fun than WL2. Oh and you have your own vehicle that you control in combat.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FWIW, no:
W2: Coordination = + Action Points, + Ranged to-Hit
W3: Coordination = + Action Points, + Constitution, + Critical Hit Resistance
if that screenshot is accurate.

You may say "So what, those are tiny numbers", but clearly the character and combat systems have been reviewed and iterated a lot more for better balance and more interest. Either that or they randomly changed some numbers to make it look like they did. :shrug:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
FWIW, no:

You may say "So what, those are tiny numbers", but clearly the character and combat systems have been reviewed and iterated a lot more for better balance and more interest. Either that or they randomly changed some numbers to make it look like they did. :shrug:

Not what I meant, I meant: are there any new mechanics to make things more interesting. Changing the numbers and balancing the existing systems won't do it for me I think, stuff was way too basic in the predecessor. It needed more systems (hence my examples of Talents/Perks + active ability usage in combat), not just changes to the existing ones.

But I guess I have my answer, more or less.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
FWIW, no:

Not what I meant, I meant: are there any new mechanics to make things more interesting. Changing the numbers and balancing the existing systems won't do it for me I think, stuff was way too basic in the predecessor. It needed more systems (hence my examples of Talents/Perks + active ability usage in combat), not just changes to the existing ones.

But I guess I have my answer, more or less.

This is 6 months old but I guess , at the very least, indicative of how combat will be:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
(Also remembered now that apparently WL3 will also have team-based initiative of some sort. What's with this trend?? )

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I haven't played the beta but from what I've seen, combat will be closer to nuXCOM combat and we will have more gadgets and tools to use in it. Removing cover and armors etc will come into play.
So yeah I think there is improvement on that area albeit not on an extremely sophisticated manner. Let's say that from what I've seen, combat looks more fun than WL2. Oh and you have your own vehicle that you control in combat.

Nobody's played the beta, just the alpha. The beta is supposed to be coming out this month and I assume it will include the Perks and other features not available in the alpha, which will answer Grunker's question.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasteland 3 was at PAX East with the same scenario as the alpha.

https://www.tomsguide.com/hands-on/wasteland-3-pax-east-hands-on

Wasteland 3 is a Fallout-style RPG that supports your terrible decisions

BOSTON – At the end of my Wasteland 3 demo, I did something unbelievably dumb. The developers told me that the residents of my home base would hate me for it, and that thousands of lines of dialogue would change as a result. But, damn it all, I really wanted the psychotic warlord with purple hair as a party member. And, in my defense, the game offered me that choice.

I played through a combat demo of Wasteland 3 at PAX East 2020, and I was impressed with the amount of options I had at my disposal, both while fighting and conversing. For those who haven't played the first two games, Wasteland is an isometric RPG set in a postapocalyptic United States. It's got a twisted sense of humor, but also provides some salient commentary on what humanity might be like after centralized civilization collapses.

If you're thinking that this sounds a lot like Fallout, you're correct. Wasteland inspired the first two Fallout games, which later inspired Wasteland 2 and Wasteland 3. It's a virtuous cycle.

Wasteland 3 combat
The majority of the demo was about exploration and combat. I took control of a Desert Ranger and his three party members as they infiltrated a compound to rescue a group of rangers kidnapped by the malicious Vic Buchanan: son of the villainous Patriarch. This game takes place in the snowy environs of Colorado: a far cry from the deserts of Nevada and Arizona in the first two games. As the demo began, I drove a tank up to the outskirts of the enemy base through a pristine, snowy mountain range — not quite the arid nuclear wasteland I had been expecting.

Vic had set up garrisons of human soldiers and robotic turrets to guard his compound, and I had a choice on how to make my way past them. When I walked in through the front gate and saw a huge blood spatter on the main path, I decided that this probably wasn't the right way to go. Instead, I sneaked around the back and found a much more lightly guarded stretch of territory. As I traversed the stronghold, I found that there were a lot of corridors, pathways and hiding places to avoid enemy detection, so going in guns blazing was not the only solution. I'm not sure if it's possible to sneak through the entire compound, but it seemed like stealthy players could at least give it a try.

While exploration takes place in real time, turn-based combat begins once an enemy comes within range. From here, gameplay proceeds a lot like older Fallout games, or X-COM. You can move around the battlefield, picking out advantageous positions behind cover, then attack enemies with a variety of guns and special abilities. Depending on how far away you are, you'll get different percentage chances to hit enemies. Combat, then, is an agreeable mix of moving around the battlefield, shooting at foes and employing special skills (such as healing wounds or automatically attacking enemies each time they move out of cover) to win.

The first few instances of combat were all fairly simple, as my four-man squad usually outnumbered the enemy forces. It was fun to position the different characters, some of which who excelled at close-range with shotguns, and others from a distance with automatic weapons. Things got considerably more difficult, though, when I didn't do proper reconnaissance and stumbled into the middle of a battlefield that was swarming with enemy soldiers and turrets.

One of the enemies fired at my healer, who had unwisely taken up a position behind some explosive barrels. The shot wound up blowing up about half of the battlefield, harming both my party and the enemy forces. I triumphed, but it was a close fight — only two party members made it without getting knocked out, and those who went down had lasting wounds that would hamper their effectiveness in battle for the next few encounters.

Wasteland 3 dialogue
Luckily, this huge battalion had guarded the entry to Vic's compound, and I was confident that I could take on a single psychopath. I finally met Vic face-to-face and got a good look at him: a haggard young man with a twitchy demeanor and a mane of shaggy purple hair. It was clear right away that Vic was not entirely sane, as he kept addressing all of his queries to an imaginary companion named Clarence.

My attempts to intimidate Vic failed (the game has skill checks during dialogue, and they're not guaranteed to succeed), so I was left with three choices: arrest him, kill him, or ask him to join my party. The first choice was the most logical one, although the second one would have been a simple, definitive solution to the problem.

Instead, I asked Vic to join my band — a decision that, the devs assured me, would make everyone back in my home base question my judgment and my sanity. But Vic was clearly a charismatic leader of some kind, and his connections to the Patriarch would probably come in handy sooner or later. This is apparently not the only opportunity in the game to take a controversial figure under your wing, and many characters in the game will react accordingly.

Wasteland 3 will be out on May 19 for PC, and will cost $60. If you like RPGs with polished combat systems and plenty of interesting choices to screw up, it seems like a solid bet. If I play through the whole game, though, I'm inclined to take Vic in my party again, if only to see the looks on everyone's faces.

https://onlysp.escapistmagazine.com...ern-game-with-classic-mechanics-and-it-shows/

Wasteland 3 is a Modern Game With Classic Mechanics, and it Shows

Wasteland 3 and other top-down strategy RPGs are a rare breed in the contemporary age. While many RPG fans are looking for massive open worlds and real-time action, demand for a slower-paced RPG experience is still present. Wasteland is a series that has always found success in that niche. However, with the newest iteration of the series, traditional mechanics of the past seem to be getting in the way of a marvelous IP.

OnlySP was able to get a hands-on preview of inXile’s Wasteland 3 at PAX East. Though I have never played a Wasteland game, I am no stranger to RPGs or even isometric tactical RPGs. I was led through the combat-focused demo by one of the on-hand exhibitors to help speed me through a rather lengthy preview. The demo opened up on a mission taking place some ways into the game where I was searching for a psychopath named Victory, the crazed child of one of the game’s larger antagonists, the Patriarch. On my mission, I had four characters at my disposal: a sniper, a heavy gunner, a regular trooper, and the ever-befuddled Scotchmo.

As this demo was focused almost entirely on combat, things heated up quickly. I found myself by a barricaded warehouse looking at half a dozen under-leveled enemies. I took a few minutes to find the flow of combat, but it was not coming to me very well. I found myself wanting to move on, but was instead forced to wait out each individual character’s turn. Each character has a limited number of Action Points (AP) that are allotted for movement and combat abilities. This essentially boils down to a few movement spaces and one attack per turn.

w3-800x400.jpeg

Enemies are able to hide behind cover of course and your shots can assuredly miss. Multiple times, in fact, I had a guaranteed 100% probability of landing a shot, but still missed. I did not have access to the skills and perks, but my characters were outfitted with a few unique abilities already. That being said, figuring out how to use them was a nightmare. The auto-turret from my sniper was tantalizing, but gave no direction to how it could be used or even placed. I was eventually able to set it in a random location; however, it never fired at the enemies even as they approached and attacked it. All of this fumbling around led to my first battle lasting a large majority of my preview time despite myself having a major level handicap.

As I moved past the first battle zone into a new area, I was met with several more enemies. I had the pre-battle phase to move my characters as I saw fit strategically for placement before the match. Traps were introduced and I had the option to disable them or avoid them possibly letting enemies trip them off. This battle moved a bit faster as I decided to forego the strategic side of combat and bull rush my way through for the sake of time constraints. Surprisingly, this was actually my preferred method of combat. The faster paced action that let me throw Scotchmo in the enemies face and blow them to smithereens with his shotgun was preferable to the intended; unfortunately, in a full game setting this would not be possible due to proper level scaling. For a simple small-scale battle with half a dozen enemies, this would begin to feel stagnant, especially with how frequent combat seems to occur.

w3.2-800x400.jpeg

On the positive side of the demo, though, the environment I got to see was intriguing and the background dialogue was worth stopping to listen to when it occurred. The mini-boss battle I encountered seemed to be enjoyable with a fresh style of combat, despite the aforementioned problems. I was also able to glimpse a fraction of the overarching story, which is thankfully mature yet offered juvenile humor in the mix.

Wasteland 3 helps fill a niche genre for several fans. Regrettably the stumbling time-consuming tactical combat mechanics of old-school RPGs seem to be getting in the way of what could be an exhilarating experience. The preview I had was largely combat facing, so I have hope that the full game will offer far more in the way of diplomacy over death. InXile has crafted a captivating world and a few choice mechanics should not impede what will surely be a great iteration in the Wasteland franchise.

inXile has recently said that Microsoft told the studio to “Do what you do, and do it better than before.” Hopefully, Wasteland 3 will achieve such a promise. The game is expected to launch on May 19, 2020 for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://butwhythopodcast.com/2020/0...tactics-based-combat-choice-driven-narrative/

PAX EAST 2020: ‘Wasteland 3,’ – Tactics Based Combat, Choice Driven Narrative

F2F05DE4-F254-4E58-8383-15BB83F8E579.jpeg

Wasteland 3 is a choice-driven RPG with tactical combat developed by inXile Entertainment and published by Deep Silver. In the post-apocalyptic world of Colorado, you must lead a squad of troops through hazardous combat situations. But bullets and baddies aren’t the only challenges here. Deep narrative-driven choices will shape the player’s game experience and sometimes, in the harsh wastes, there are no easy answers.

Ever since the original Wasteland released way back in 1988 it has represented some of the best choice-driven story and tactical combat around. During my time at PAX East, I got the chance to sample the latest entry in the series. And while I didn’t really get to experience much of the story, I did get to play through a full mission, walking away thoroughly impressed.

My demo of Wasteland 3 opens up with my unit traversing a snow-covered wilderness in their armored all-terrain vehicle. While the path I traverse only had one way to go, the developer I spoke to assured me that was only for the sake of the demo. I was told in the full game the player will be able to travel downside routes that will lead to optional missions. Once I arrive at my destination my squad disembarks and I get my first look at the meat of Wasteland 3‘s gameplay.

The first thing that catches my eye is that I wasn’t immediately put into combat turns. Until I caught the enemy’s attention I could move my squad freely. This would allow seasoned players to set up a nice ambush before triggering the start of combat rounds. For me it meant blundering my sniper into a wandering patrolman. However, I still managed to get my sniper’s shot off before the enemy saw him. This is of critical importance since if the enemy spots the player first they get to go first in combat. Since I managed to recover some from my initial blunder, I held the initiative.

EC421851-61E3-48AC-B8B0-85D2DCC514CD.jpeg

With the battle going, the game moves to turns. Each side gets to activate all of their characters before the other side does. Each character’s options for actions depend on their action points. Every character has a set number they can spend. And everything from moving to attacking costs points. This forces players to think very critically of how far to move, and when to attack. Attacking also doesn’t necessarily cost the same amount of action points all the time. What kind of weapon being utilized affects how many points it cost. Something to consider when deciding how to equip your party.

Once I defeat the enemies, I found a couple of other obstacles in my path. Locks that need picking and a generator that has to be repaired stand in my way. Of course, I had the skills required to overcome these obstacles, but clearly party skills are another consideration to bear in mind when facing the challenges Wasteland 3 presents players. Upon reaching the boss, I entered to a cutscene where I confronted the enemy I had hunted down. After a bit of dialogue going back and forth, I am presented with the options of arresting the scoundrel or letting him join my group. With my demo running long, I opted to let him join. The developer seemed mildly surprised by this decision, but assured me that it could produce significant consequences further down the line.

Along with the excellent combat mechanics, the visuals present in Wasteland 3 are also top-notch. The classic top-down view one expects to find in games of this genre is immediately recognizable. The characters all look sharp and I am particularly impressed with how well the lighting looked though the level I played. When I reached the cutscene at the end the boss was thoroughly animated, giving off a bit of an unhinged sort of vibe.

While I really enjoyed my time with Wasteland 3 there are questions for it that can’t be answered in a 20-minute demo. How deep character customization is, or how impactful player choice really is will remain to be seen. However, if these elements are executed as well as my demo mission was players, have a lot to look forward to.

Wasteland 3 is scheduled for release on May 19th for PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Xbox Gamepass.

https://thatnerdysite.com/2020/03/06/wasteland-3-and-stronghold-warlords-previews/

Wasteland 3 (inXile entertainment)
Whenever I’ve heard someone discuss the Wasteland games, it’s usually in the context of the series being a spiritual successor to the isometric pre-Bethesda Fallout games. So that’s more or less what I was expecting going into my demo but it never occurred to me that the modern incarnation of that experience might feel more like the recent X-COM games.

I took my squad of four into an enemy camp, searching for a VIP that I was ordered to bring in alive. After a harrowing fire fight (I wasn’t thinking as strategically as I should have been and ran in guns blazing so a lot of my squad was left away from cover), I looted some of the enemies and destroyed some equipment to lower the bridge to my objective. I didn’t take much time to dive into the menus and equipment screens but I did swap out my default armor for some stronger gear.

2Wasteland_3_Full_Force.jpg

Wasteland 3 will have you squaring off against a variety of enemies including giant mechanical spider robots

After a few more battles against a variety of humans, creatures, and robotic foes, I finally found the person I had been sent to collect, but he wasn’t exactly interested in going quietly. As with Fallout games of old, I entered into a conversation with the guy and had a variety of ways to proceed, some requiring skill checks higher than what I had available. I ultimately tried to convince him that my squad had backup outside of his compound but he called my bluff. In a darkly comic scene, he then wound up accidentally blowing himself up so while I managed to avoid killing him directly, I also failed at bringing him in alive. I was then told that I could have actually convinced him to join me as an ally but the game would continue regardless, with each possible scenario in sequences such as this one changing how the rest of the game would play out.

While I might not hop back into Wasteland 3 on PC when it releases on May 19, 2020, its release on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, and more specifically its inclusion in Xbox Game Pass will probably entice me to spend some time with it later this year.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
https://thatnerdysite.com/2020/03/06/wasteland-3-and-stronghold-warlords-previews/

Wasteland 3 (inXile entertainment)
Whenever I’ve heard someone discuss the Wasteland games, it’s usually in the context of the series being a spiritual successor to the isometric pre-Bethesda Fallout games.

Glad to know the reporter didn't even do the barest form of diligence to realize Fallout was the spiritual successor to the original Wasteland.

While I might not hop back into Wasteland 3 on PC when it releases on May 19, 2020, its release on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, and more specifically its inclusion in Xbox Game Pass will probably entice me to spend some time with it later this year.

Ah. That explains it.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Microsoft will be livestreaming talks that were planned for GDC: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/games/blog/save-the-dates-game-stack-live-schedule

Join us on Mixer March 17-18 where we'll be livestreaming content that we planned to share at this year's Game Developers Conference. Starting at 10:00 am PT on the 17th, come learn about the latest cloud and game development technologies from Microsoft, go behind the scenes with the creators at Xbox Game Studios and the ID@Xbox program, and level up with deep technical talks and panel discussions led by industry leaders.

Day 2 - March 18, 2020

10:15 How inXile used creative iteration to drive Wasteland's development

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Here we gooooo: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/1190

Wasteland 3 Backer Beta Coming March 17

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2020%2F03%2F11%2F9ab68d1c-13f6-495e-99fe-c61ab3febae9

Rangers, as we enter this final stretch of development before Wasteland 3’s release, we need your help to make sure that it has been thoroughly battle-tested. Your feedback from the forthcoming Beta will be instrumental in helping us to make sure that Wasteland 3 is as polished, exciting, and fun as you've come to expect.

What do I need to know?
The Wasteland 3 Beta will be going live at 9am PDT, March 17. Those who have backed the game at the Early Bird ($25) or higher tiers will be receiving an email from Crowd Ox that includes a Wasteland 3 Beta key. Once you’ve received your Beta code, it will need to be redeemed through Steam. The game client will then be able to be downloaded after the listed launch time.

Note to our Alpha testers: you will not be sent a Beta key, as you’ll automatically gain access to the Beta as soon as it has gone live. If you run into any issues with updating to the Beta, it may be a good idea to try uninstalling and reinstalling the game.

Please be aware that this is a pre-release look at the first few hours of Wasteland 3. Content and systems will probably change before release (you can help with that, see below!), and you may encounter issues and bugs. Furthermore, the game has not been fully optimized, and you can expect its performance to improve when the game finally launches.

As you encounter issues with the Beta, please don’t hesitate to share your reports directly with our Developers via the feedback site that is linked to from the Beta’s main menu.

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2020%2F03%2F11%2F3eef9b3a-c632-42c5-ae08-e19d7e095d0f

In addition to the ‘Report Issues’ option, you are also welcome and encouraged to share general feedback and discuss your experiences in our Beta Discussion forum.

What Are My Orders, General?
We encourage you to check your backer portal through Crowd Ox to ensure your contact information is correct. When the Beta goes live on March 17, we'll be posting on our various social channels reminding everyone that the Beta is live.

Feedback and bug reports can both be submitted via in the in-game Report Issues button you’ll find on the main menu. If you’d like to discuss the Beta with others, head on over to the inXile forums.

Rangers, we want to thank you for your continued support and participation. We cannot stress how important sharing your experiences in-game with us will be. Your feedback from the Alpha has already been instrumental in helping us implement much needed refinements. We know that your suggestions and feedback from this point onward will only help to make Wasteland 3 even more awesome than it’s already shaping up to be.

Thanks again,
The Wasteland 3 Team

FAQ

Q: When does the Wasteland 3 Beta go live?
A: The Beta will be available to download and play as of 9am PDT, March 17.

Q: What content does the Beta include?
A: The Beta provides the first few hours of the game, from character creation into the first few areas of the game. Of note, it does not include the world map (you’ll be automatically warped to each area), and certain areas are kept off-limits that you’d be able to access in the full game. Please also be aware that the intro cinematic is currently in-progress and is not final.

Q: When do we receive our keys?
A: Beta keys redeemable through Steam will be emailed shortly before the Beta goes live. Keep eyes on your email inbox as well as your junk/spam folders.

Q: It’s March 17 and I did not receive a key, what can I do?
A: If you did not have access to the Alpha (which automatically grants access to the Beta), check your backer portal on Crowd Ox; if you backed at a level which provided access to the Beta, we recommend reaching out directly to Crowd Ox support.

Q: I had the Alpha, why didn’t I receive a Beta code?
A: Alpha-level backers will auto-update to the Beta as of 9am PDT, March 17 on Steam.

Q: Woohoo! I received a Beta key! What now?
A: Beta keys will only be able to be redeemed through Steam. Once you have the code in hand, log into your Steam account and redeem the code as you normally would any other key. The Beta for Wasteland 3 will be available for download once it has gone live on March 17.

Q: I'd like to report bugs and provide feedback about the Beta, what's the best way to do that?
A: We're glad you asked! For bug reports and general feedback please use the in-game Report Issues option on the main menu. If you’d like to talk about the Beta with others, head on over to the Wasteland 3 forums.

Q: I didn't back at a tier where I'd get Early Access (Beta). Am I able to somehow still get access?
A: Unfortunately, we are unable to amend the backer tiers at this point. Be sure to stay updated with development as it continues via our social channels.

Q: I'm having difficulty redeeming my Steam key, what should I do?
A: inXile support will not be able to provide you with a key. If you’ve confirmed the key you're entering through Steam is the key you received, we recommend reaching out to Steam support.

Q: I'm encountering a technical issue getting the Beta to run, where should I go for support?
A: Our Support Team's assistance with Beta issues will be very limited, so we encourage you to post in the Wasteland 3 Technical Help forum. If you’re encountering a Technical issue which is not specific to the Beta, you are welcome to reach out to our Support Team via our Support Page.

Ivan

Arcane
From the Fig comment section: The Beta key will not become the retail key (it'll be a separate key once the retail version is available).

With this in mind, I will be giving my beta key away here. IM me if interested once the 17th rolls around.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Scraping the bottom of the barrel: https://www.theworkprint.com/pax-east-hands-on-wasteland-3/123

PAX East Hands-On: Wasteland 3

Though I wasn’t able to cull an interview, I was fortunate to get my hands on the demo of Wasteland 3, the tertiary and revolutionary (in more ways that one) installment from Devolver Digital.

Picture this: It’s been years since we’ve experienced the Radioactive Heat from the American Southwest in the last game and we now land ourselves in another pickle: a perpetual Nuclear winter in Colorado.

As a Desert Ranger, trying to keep your beloved Arizona from falling, you get an estranged call. He claims he’s the Patriarch of Colorado and he’s got some work for you, boy. He’ll promise you aid if you can fulfill one task for him- take back his land from his own murderous kindred.

You start from whole cloth in this new mission from hot to cold, building up your squad and cutting through people who would rather see you bleed out than freeze to death.

The gameplay itself was super solid, as fluid as it can go. The rub is that for every move you, your squad or your vehicle makes, it will cost you some currency in the form of when to shoot and how to shoot, when to move, how to move and how much punishment one of your soldiers can take before expiring.

This creates and compounds another level of complexity to the RPG gameplay in addition to building weapons and provisions that can be used, making difficult decisions morally on how to move forward and most importantly strategizing a plan of action that will not be the most pretty or bad-assed, but suit your own survival. Hey, nobody ever said you had to come in like a bad-ass and leave like one or vice versa. War is tough, and the prettiest one is the one still breathing.

As for the voice over and the music choice, this is a cinch to say one of my favorite things outside of the phenomenal visuals. This gave a clear understanding from the get-go of what sort of mire you were conscripting yourself into the moment you clicked ‘Start.’

As someone not familiar exactly with RPG’s on a PC platform, I must admit I had a little trouble during the first few minutes of the demo. The controls moved fluidly and the combat system was great. I was just failing at it at a certain point when I needed all of my squad and therein lie the wonderful thing.

This is a game that relies on the help of your teammates. What was the saying- A lone wolf dies the quickest? Well, that’s true. Nobody in a pack is dispensable and everyone has an equal role to play, albeit with varying strengths and weaknesses. It feels like a cross betwixt Fallout and Bioshock. It’s a time warp and it will have you feeling its ups, downs and all that surrounds you as you strive to meet that goal to simply survive for a task to help the greater good… no matter how may ugly you may look in the end.

The revolution WILL be televised on your screens of Xbox One, Xbox Game Pass, PC, Playstation 4, Mac and Linux on the 19th of May in the year of our Lord, 2020. Consider yourself prepared…

P.S. A huuuge shout out to Alex Ryan, Thomas Schulenberg and especially Stephanie Tinsley Fitzwilliam for hooking this session up! This is a game to be totally on the radar for and you guys did not disappoint!

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I find it irritating that this game stole the plot from my Fallout: Motor City concept.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom