Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadenuat

Arcane
Instead of a spell circle very 2 levels, they could've made the progression like that until the 3rd circle and then the next circle after 3-4 levels
Any time I DMd I capped magic at level 5. However nowadays I'd cap it at level 3 and make mix of level 4-5 spells ingredients/rituals only.

I don't think it's required for computer game though. It's just that irl it's hard to come up with any reasonable plot which can't be solved by party wizard in a week. In computer game it's mostly limited to combat, and there the more variety the better.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's this weird fetish some of you have for monks?

Pink eye is an infectious disease ya' know.
I was here before Pink Eye, but I kept a low profile, because on one of our latest polls we concluded that only 4% or so of the people here are actually keen on monks.

So why make a fuss. In all honesty, I think it's just me, him and Desiderius that really put monks first.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
My friends, we have reached the 500 pages landmark, even if I am late 20 fucking pages. This is a Historic Moment. However, history teaches us about degeneracy, and the encroaching effeminate Asian culture - be vigilant. Our video games must stay as erect bastions of high culture that spread around as much love as possible ; deus vult. Fucking cunts invading my video games. Current year, comrade. Never declined sooo fucking much everything is going down the toilet

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Not to mention monks make no sense and don't even fit the setting. Forgotten Realms with oriental shit in it lmao. Fucking weaboos.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Any time I DMd I capped magic at level 5. However nowadays I'd cap it at level 3 and make mix of level 4-5 spells ingredients/rituals only.

I don't think it's required for computer game though. It's just that irl it's hard to come up with any reasonable plot which can't be solved by party wizard in a week. In computer game it's mostly limited to combat, and there the more variety the better.
I'd have to test it in practice, but 6th circle as a reward for investing basically all your levels into a single caster class seems like a good idea, while still being able to go munchkin 19 sorc/1 pal. And there are ways to limit the power of the 6th circle too if it gets too ridiculous and gamebreaking.

Gyor

Savant
D&D goes bonkers at around lvl 10+ anyway, so gameplay-wise this is better

TBers can't handle multiple things happening at once and now they can't handle levels 10+. Maybe RPGs just aren't for you.

It has nothing to do with it being TB, or the game going bonkers after level 10, or anyof that crap. They capped it at level 10 because this game is already at 100+ hours, and that is with levels 1-3 being shorter then most, if they took to 20 levels it'd be 200 to 250+ hours long!

So they clearly are taking a note from BG1&2 and breaking it into BG 3&4.

Solasta is doing the same thing.

Only Owlcat is crazy enough to do levels 1-20 in a single game and pull it off and even Kingmaker has a hard time reaching level 20! Owlcat spoiled us.

The up side of this is that alot of stuff folks would want in a DLC for BG3 will end up in BG4 I'm betting. Extra races, maybe the Artificer class and/or the Psion, more subclasses and spells, ect...

Lacrymas

Arcane
doesn't that mean that just one of these is a challenge for 4-5 level 1 characters?
Theoretically, yes, but there's a tendency in 5E for creatures to be way weaker than their CR would indicate. They have shitty stats and shitty saves compared to the PCs. I didn't see them use Devour Intellect in the demo, which is what they are all about, so they are even weaker.

Gyor

Savant
And now all that's left is subclasses.

As for D&D lvls 10+, it's mostly the casters' progression at fault. You get too many too overpowered spells because they start running out of ideas, and they feel like they have to outdo the previous circle so the power creep is real. They should've done a staggered progression maybe. Instead of a spell circle very 2 levels, they could've made the progression like that until the 3rd circle and then the next circle after 3-4 levels, the next after 4-5 etc, so the highest circle at lvl 20 is 6.

Cantrips and 1st circle - lvl 1
2nd circle - lvl 3
3rd circle - lvl 5 (or 6)
4th circle - lvl 9 (or 10)
5th circle - lvl 14
6th circle - lvl 19

In a follow up comment they said all the PHB subclasses will be in.

They did not mention subclasses from else where, BUT they said that while the PHB/DMG/MM is their main focus, elements of other books would be in it, so its possible that other subclasses would be in it.

Elex

Arbiter
i'm fine if the campaign is 1-10.
But i hope if the game have 1-20 progression, DM mode and editor.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
D&D goes bonkers at around lvl 10+ anyway, so gameplay-wise this is better

TBers can't handle multiple things happening at once and now they can't handle levels 10+. Maybe RPGs just aren't for you.
I am amazed at your innate ability of knowing absolutely nothing about everything you talk about.

Usually, D&D 5 modules don't bring a character from level 1 to level 20. Instead, the 20 levels are divided into four tiers of play (1-4, 5-10, 11-16, 17-20) and each campaign encompasses one or two tiers. I would like to explain you something more, but I know you are a low-tier troll and it would be a waste of words.

At this point I feel like Larian can do no wrong.
Larian announces no day/night cycle. "We didn't want it anyways" Larian announces no short rests. "We don't even like short rests" Larian announces levels 1-10. "The higher levels suck anyways".
Right, no one has ever expressed a preference for low-level D&D before Larian announced a level 1-10 campaign. Absolutely no one, except for almost everyone in every thread ever in this entire forum.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
And now all that's left is subclasses.

As for D&D lvls 10+, it's mostly the casters' progression at fault. You get too many too overpowered spells because they start running out of ideas, and they feel like they have to outdo the previous circle so the power creep is real. They should've done a staggered progression maybe. Instead of a spell circle very 2 levels, they could've made the progression like that until the 3rd circle and then the next circle after 3-4 levels, the next after 4-5 etc, so the highest circle at lvl 20 is 6.

Cantrips and 1st circle - lvl 1
2nd circle - lvl 3
3rd circle - lvl 5 (or 6)
4th circle - lvl 9 (or 10)
5th circle - lvl 14
6th circle - lvl 19

see this for the confirmed sub classes: https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3-everything-we-know/

Delterius

Arcane

Fairfax

Arcane
Level 10 is a decent cut-off point, considering the power spike at 11th level and 5E being at its best in the 4-12 range or so IMO.

It will affect some classes much more than others, so fans of some classes might be disappointed (at least in combat). It's bad news for Bards, Sorcerers, and Druids, while Warlocks (especially with the lack of short rests), Clerics, Rangers, Barbarians, and Monks should be happy. However, if they add the Hexblade, all munchkins will be playing the same build anyway and won't even care.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Swen said:
redditor said:
Writing and storytelling is a major point of contention in discussions surrounding Baldur's Gate 3. While there has been speculation about the plot, the player responses when interacting with other NPCs have been specifically noticed. Many agree that the first person, past tense style of the writing is jarring and breaks immersion. Is this the style you wish to continue forward with or is this still being worked on?

There’s several reasons we’re doing it this way. Of course there are story reasons but it also allows you to get closer to your character; their thoughts, their feelings and moments of introspection allowing you to truly understand their motivations. We’ve experimented with several styles when starting development but this was the one that at the end of the day stood out and we’re actually quite excited by what we can do with it. It turned out to be an excellent way of allowing players to tell their own story and role-play their character on a deeper level. I think it’s a wonderful tool for role-playing and story telling and when you’re playing it’s like you’re narrating your own adventure.

:x

Fucking wafflebrained narrative designers...

Fuck me, he is legitimately retarded.

The more I think about it, the more I hope they will be putting into the game PROPER companions who aren't also "Origin stories".
For one: I don't want EVERY SINGLE ONE of my potential companions to be spoiled to me two minutes into the game menu. I want for the game to surprise me, eventually.

Also, a game like this would require a vast cast of characters to mix and match in several combinations, and the last thing I'd want to hear is "Well, we are doing only six because making them 'origin' options is far more expensive". Well, then just don't.

Finally, I thought I was basically resigned to the idea of a 4-slots party, but as I'm spending my last weeks enjoying turn-based Pathfinder Kingmaker, I can't help but think it would be SO detrimental to the party variety. And for what? A FOUR MEN MUTLIPLAYER MODE very few will bother with?
Even if that was the case you could still make a four men party viable with minor tweaks/exp rebalance OR just give the players the option to control more than one character (which they can do already, anyway).

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Low level DND is praised by Gygax himself, you can see how he despises 10+ with his Tomb of Horrors module. This new generation really needs some education.
Gary Gygax seems to have possessed a fondness for designing adventures suited for PCs around 9th level (i.e. "name" level), as these characters have acquired the durability and versatility to confront many challenging combat encounters and exploration hurdles without being so overpowered as to trivialize them. The Keep on the Borderlands and The Temple of Elemental Evil are justifiably famous adventure modules but very much exceptions targeting beginning players, just as Isle of the Ape was an exception in the other direction suggesting a minimum level of 12-15 varying by class and that merely a slight increase in the number of monsters would provide a suitable challenge for "groups of more than six characters of greater than 18th level".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom